Truck Driver In Fatal Portage County Crash Sentenced To Five Years In Prison!

How much is a human life worth,the death of a wife,and severely handicapped son.
As a UPS Freight safety trainer I always stressed the two main issues to a sucsessful trucking career.
The proper rest before climbimg behind the steering wheel of any motor vehicle.
As well as being focused on ones path of travel and their surroundings.

This is a very sad end result of a truckers career who was neither,Rested,or Focused.
Thanks for your posts Freightmaster1.

Welcome to Ohio the anti trucking state. Accidents happen and obviously this tragedy could have been prevented. However giving the driver a 5 year sentence to send a message to the trucking industry just seems harsh. Accidents happen. I feel for the father/ husband for the agony he has endured, but even he thought the driver would get probation or a 1-2 year sentence. I have always hated Ohio and this just reminds me why!

Good point chitownpeddler,that truckers life is wrecked knowing the carnage he caused.
Sending him to any jail time is pointless.

I don't see where triples had anything to do with this?
From the article:
Slattery’s points were directed just as fiercely at the trucking industry as at the trucker himself. He pointed out Bouch’s medical history — sleep apnea and migraines — as well as his sketchy record of handling the triple-trailered rigs still allowed in Ohio.
Bouch, hauling three box trailers, rear-ended Susan Slattery’s car, triggering an eight-vehicle crash in Shalersville Township. The 47-year-old mother, who was driving her children home to suburban Baltimore, died at the scene.

So having triples didn't cause the accident but they seemed to make a big deal out of it to probably try to change regulations.

Post #8 coupled with the FACT that the driver admitted he fell asleep driving, according to the article, accentuated the felony charge.
Claiming he'll never again drive CMVs is pointless since he'll never again be hired as a driver, with such type Felony.

Whether pulling single, doubles or triples make no difference when driver falls asleep driving.
Fatalities occur even driving Bobtail, yet not very many compared to combos.

Remember:
YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF WHEN YOUR VEHICLE TRAVELS, NOT SOME DISPATCHER OR ANYONE ELSE!!

the article i saw said his insurance paid a 41 million settelememt and nothing about esties. it also said no lawsuits were filed

Holy cats who has that kind of insurance?
I know from my many years as a trucker most of the larger trucking companies are self insured.

It clearly says Estes Express Line's insurance carrier paid the settlement, not the drivers insurance carrier. Estes doesn't have the $$$ or sense to be self insured.

You EXLA drivers that continue to break DOT HOS and other rules should learn from this. ou wanna go to the pokey for five years because someone in Richmond and Cleveland said "you can make it" after you sat unpaid for five hours waiting for a set of empties to replace the set of empties you pulled in? Stand up.

Same to the City Drivers. Insist on a timeclock in the drivers room.

Most companies that are self insured are usually only liable for the first million to five million. Somewhat like our deductibles on home owners or our car insurance.

It clearly says Estes Express Line's insurance carrier paid the settlement, not the drivers insurance carrier. Estes doesn't have the $$$ or sense to be self insured.

You EXLA drivers that continue to break DOT HOS and other rules should learn from this. ou wanna go to the pokey for five years because someone in Richmond and Cleveland said "you can make it" after you sat unpaid for five hours waiting for a set of empties to replace the set of empties you pulled in? Stand up.

Same to the City Drivers. Insist on a timeclock in the drivers room.

your right. reread story and said company insurance paid but no lawsuit was filed. keeps them from admitting guilt