XPO | Truck Driving Championship

If we were a package carrier, I would probably agree with you.
This is my point...do you not know that both ups and fedex are now in the ltl market....and profit from their name recognition from the package division? they are thought to be better because of the name they share!

But they don't share a large percentage of the same customer base.

If we were a package carrier, I would probably agree with you.
This is my point...do you not know that both ups and fedex are now in the ltl market....and profit from their name recognition from the package division? they are thought to be better because of the name they share!

But they don't share a large percentage of the same customer base.

I would think they are a different demographic, so different marketing.

I dont understand how driving around some cones and backing in between cones would make you a better driver. It doesnt simulate what happens on the road and out in the work place. Im the best driver in the midwest of the U.S. and maybe the best driver in the whole United States. Dont argue with me, just believe it, Im the best. I dont need some jacket or patch on my coat to tell me that. I feel times are pretty tough right now and you should do your part to save the company money that doesnt need to be spent, and drop out. Take pride in doing something that is really right.

I have to disagree with you sickandtired. Im the best driver there ever was or well be. And i have a patch to prove it. Just ask me ill tell ya. But then again i heve never met a truck driver who did not fell the same way.

SickandTired and oldtimer50, I really wish both of you would compete and teach us all how to be the best drivers in the us. We could sure us two great drivers helping us all be better drivers.

No matter how many backout there will be plenty to still participate. People it's not about the money, it's about taking pride in your profession and being the best you can be at your job. Con-way is not hurting financially we can't be. They seen YRC and others cutting benefits and pay and seized the opportunity to do the same. I know it's not right for them to do this, but I will not let corporate greed get in the way of something I feel really helps myself and others be better drivers. Do you really think that if everyone sat out of the TDC'S that they would spend that money giving back our benefits and 5% paycut? Give me a break, I will not drop out and I will try to talk others into competing. I will not let the greed of others ruin something I'm proud to compete in.

Nope, it would line someones pocket. But for at least a brief moment, that would take their attention away from my pockets.........Yup, that was fun.

I get that you are going. And I have not suggested that we boycott the TDC. What I enjoy is pointing out the fallacies and suggesting that the company is not so forthright in selling this thing to us. History demonstrates they are capable of this characteristic.

That brings me to my puzzlement. What is your interest in this? You are here to recruit for the TDC that we are not to participate in for the company, but for ourselves. OK, that's a good way to deflect some objections as you stated that the company is not so great anyhow.

So you care enough about my own well being that you are selling this thing to help me improve myself. - Self enrichment. I suppose this is better then having to listen to someone telling me it's a good idea to shave my head and sell flowers at the airport.

To the point; I want to keep an open mind and learn something here. Knowing you have made so many life long friends so that you won't be lonely at the TDC, what are YOUR interests in recruiting drivers to wear the blue and compete for Conway.

As you try to get more people to compete, I will try twice as hard to get people to not compete. I have over 2-million miles accident free, ticket free (knock on wood) and it's not because of some silly TDC. I have never competed in one and never plan on doing it. To me it's a total waste of money and time. My opinion only. I feel that the only reason people compete in these is because they were never able to compete in a real sport, either as a kid or adult. I guess it's a way of being recognized. Congrats to all that do compete and do well. I just think that this year everyone should sit it out as a way to show their displeasure in our management and the way they have pissed away our hard work. Blame the economy if you wish. But 1 1/2 years ago when they shelled out almost a billion dollars for 3 companies, the economy was just fine. Maybe they should have saved some money for a rainy day.

Hi Fellas I am new on here but I have to tell ya, it is not a totall wasteof money to sponser the TDC, Do you really believe that the company would shellout millions of dollars on it if they werent getting at least double back in return? I will tell you what, I dont like alll the cuts either but if I can take advantage of a payed long weekend on the company with my wife and Kids, guess what I am going to do it, If you want to boycot it go for it, but it is your loss not ours, oh and by the way you are welcome in advance for all the money we are making the company by giving them good P.R. and showing the company in a possitive light. well best of luck to all of you and please keep being safe out there.

go all you want, as many times as you want.....

just pay for it out of your pocket....not force the rest of us who choose not to, to subsidize an activity we abstain from. What is the difference between that, and making me pay some of the cost of the smoking habit for those who "choose" to smoke?

that is our objection. Not that they have it, not that you want to participate. But rather, that we who choose not to, have to help pay for it with our pay and benefits.

Go.....don't go......I couldn't possibly care less either way.....but you pay for your participation......just like you would pay for your tickets to a ball game or Nascar race.......

go all you want, as many times as you want.....

just pay for it out of your pocket....not force the rest of us who choose not to, to subsidize an activity we abstain from. What is the difference between that, and making me pay some of the cost of the smoking habit for those who "choose" to smoke?

that is our objection. Not that they have it, not that you want to participate. But rather, that we who choose not to, have to help pay for it with our pay and benefits.

Go.....don't go......I couldn't possibly care less either way.....but you pay for your participation......just like you would pay for your tickets to a ball game or Nascar race.......

Hi av8tor I have no problem paying my way to states, but any money that the companys gets back in return for our competing is for us only, instead of you getting any kick back from it, which in the long run you would benifit from it, you will not see any of the benifits at all.

Hi av8tor I have no problem paying my way to states, but any money that the companys gets back in return for our competing is for us only, instead of you getting any kick back from it, which in the long run you would benifit from it, you will not see any of the benifits at all.

Absolutely.........You pay your own way....you reep the rewards, if any....

I totally agree.

I go along with them giving you the time off, without pay to go and compete if you choose.

you pay all your expenses, and, if you win anything, it is yours.....

Hell....I might even sign up for that gig....

(Well, o.k., most likely not, but you get the idea)

I go along with them giving you the time off, without pay to go and compete if you choose.

you pay all your expenses, and, if you win anything, it is yours.....

Hell....I might even sign up for that gig....

(Well, o.k., most likely not, but you get the idea)
I agree with the time-off, but if they want to use vacation or PTO that's cool. But not just free days with pay. Sounds like discrimination to me. Think Con-way will give me free days off if I shave my head and sell Company pencils @ the airport? Worth a shot.

Same time ... cancel the wellness program, and the ppl involved. Do grown adults really need somone to tell them to cover their cough, or don't eat that Milky Way. Lets be for real here. It is a another sensless program , and a waste of Conway Money! All the rebranding they were so big on... where did that get us, and how much did that cost. I see we stopped the push on that. When does it end? They could downsize at CGO. Too many chiefs and not enough indians, as the saying goes. Losing vacation time was a big hit for me. Earn it, and then they make it earn it again. I can't imagine how the veterans feel. I have only been with the company 8 years. I can't imagine those who have 15-20 years involved, and how it is effecting them. Can anyone say early retirement? Real moral boosters ... these ppl are.

Company wide this has to cost conway hundreds of thousands of dollars to participate this. Since times are so tough why isn't this on conways chopping block. Is conway contractually obligated to this like they are the racetruck?

Hi Everyone
Well I am new on here but i am going to say this as simply as i can. Do you really believe Con-Way would invest millions of dollars in something they were not going to get any return on?

Trust me when I tell you this company gets all kinds of return on their money just from the free P.R. Just their name mentioned in the paper and on the news is very beneficial to the company.

By doing this they are seen in a possitve light, even though you may not participate, in the long run you will benifit from the hard work of all the drivers and safety managers who participate. That being said,yes I am going to compete and I am going to do so proudly, even though Con-way has cut out a lot of the perks and benefits.

This is just like the races, a way for them to party it up & walk around patting each other & themselves on the back.

Yes, there is celebration after the TDC, but it is a celebration of the skills of the drivers who have participated. It is not easy to take a skills test and then drive through an obstacle course with thousands of people watching your every move. The stress is incredible, especially for us wives. The driver's who participate do so because they want to test themselves to make sure they are being as good as a driver as they can be. They deserve every accolade they receive!!!

I am very proud of my husband and I will continue to encourage him to complete in the TDC for as long as he is driving.

Con-way wife (and proud of it).

Hi Everyone
Well I am new on here but i am going to say this as simply as i can. Do you really believe Con-Way would invest millions of dollars in something they were not going to get any return on?

Trust me when I tell you this company gets all kinds of return on their money just from the free P.R. Just their name mentioned in the paper and on the news is very beneficial to the company.

By doing this they are seen in a possitve light, even though you may not participate, in the long run you will benifit from the hard work of all the drivers and safety managers who participate. That being said,yes I am going to compete and I am going to do so proudly, even though Con-way has cut out a lot of the perks and benefits.

And there will be many along side of you, and many of us who can't compete but will go, to work and make it an enjoyable time for all...And none of us will be dancing around about the takeaways and drinking kool-aid, we will be having a good time with our families, and seeing the kids again a year later and talk about how they've grown, and root for our colleagues to do well, and we will do so right along side those drivers from our competitors, including YRC, who usually throws out a strong contingent in California each year, including hosting the northern regionals...For a few days in California, because it takes three regionals to determine the finalists, we will unite as one industry and celebrate competition and safety...then, we will return home and keep doing what we do...and wait til next year...all at a total national cost of less than a million dollars a year..for all the state and national programs...or less than 1/4 of 1% of our revenue...

Hi Everyone

WAIT!!!

Now what???

I thought it was all about safety?!

Hi Everyone

Yes I do and can list 5 off of the top of my head. But heck, we all make mistakes. I know I do but mine are more forgiving.....so far.