Truck speed..

a9faninnc

TB Legend
Credits
OK,im gonna pose a question alot of drivers would like some info on but are afraid of the answer.Are their any discussions on lowering the speeds of our linehaul fleet?:hide:

9Fan,

There have been discussions, but at this time, no decision has been made to reduce the speed of any of the tractors. With the price of fuel constantly on the rise, we must find ways to improve our fuel ecomony, and reducing the speed would certainly help.

Again at this point the Wilson's have not decided to reduce the speed, but it has been discussed.

The one thing we must remember is that even if it is decided that the speed will be reduced, it will only add minutes to our tour of duty.

Our fuel cost have almost doubled in the first quarter of 2008 verses this same quarter of 2007.

If the decision is made to reduce the speed, it will be because it was the best option for the company.

Thanks Mark

Mark, is it true that some trucks would be turned down and others wouldn't be able to be ?the reason being the gear ratio and computer settings, the idea being that they are set for optimum fuel already ...if the Wilson's make that decision

Bird,

I don't foresee some trucks being cut to a certain speed while the others are left at a higher speed. Yes gear ratio does come into play, but those tractors from 9189 on, are set with a ratio that would increase the fuel economy if the speed was reduced to match those trucks built prior to 9189.

Again, at this point it is discussion, and not a decision.

Thanks Mark

I sure hope they keep the speed at 68. That way I can still run 66 with my 68 mph truck. I sure would hate to go back to 63 with a 65 mph truck.:biglaugh:

slimeball, with that line of thought maybe they can turn the 65 trucks to 68 then they would run 65 and not 63 lol lol lol

slimeball, with that line of thought maybe they can turn the 65 trucks to 68 then they would run 65 and not 63 lol lol lol

Yea,unless you have new tires,the "set" speed dont mean anything.The problem is,a new truck with new tires is allowed the same time to get from point A to point B as a slow truck with old tires...

I'm confused,,, there is way to much thought involed in this here thread. My head hurts. (Ok NO!!! comments from the p-nut gallery):chairshot: As long as I can go by Big Bird i'm fine. :biglaugh:BigW-RD

I'm confused,,, there is way to much thought involed in this here thread. My head hurts. (Ok NO!!! comments from the p-nut gallery):chairshot: As long as I can go by Big Bird i'm fine. :biglaugh:BigW-RD

I,ll get a box of crayons from my child and draw you a diagram.I,ll put it on the next "short bus" headed to Jax...:hysterical:

OK,im gonna pose a question alot of drivers would like some info on but are afraid of the answer.Are their any discussions on lowering the speeds of our linehaul fleet?:hide:

Below is an announcement sent out to the terminal managers this evening. I am posting it here in an effort to have as many drivers hear about it from us versus someone else.

After much discussion and research, WTVA will begin turning back the speed governors on our fleet to 65 mph. Many of our units are already set at 65 mph and will see no change but a portion of our fleet has the governors set at 68 mph and these units will be turned down to 65 mph.

The adjustment has only been made on a few units at this time but over the following days and weeks you will begin to see many more units have the adjustment made to them. All new units being purchased will be delivered set at 65 mph. The continual record setting price of fuel has made this a necessity in order to improve fuel conservation and reduce our overall fuel costs.

Please communicate this change with your employee groups, especially the Road Drivers and Shuttle Drivers, since they are the ones who will experience the change.

Below is an announcement sent out to the terminal managers this evening. I am posting it here in an effort to have as many drivers hear about it from us versus someone else.

After much discussion and research, WTVA will begin turning back the speed governors on our fleet to 65 mph. Many of our units are already set at 65 mph and will see no change but a portion of our fleet has the governors set at 68 mph and these units will be turned down to 65 mph.

The adjustment has only been made on a few units at this time but over the following days and weeks you will begin to see many more units have the adjustment made to them. All new units being purchased will be delivered set at 65 mph. The continual record setting price of fuel has made this a necessity in order to improve fuel conservation and reduce our overall fuel costs.

Please communicate this change with your employee groups, especially the Road Drivers and Shuttle Drivers, since they are the ones who will experience the change.

Will this affect the ETA times allowed from terminal to terminal??

The question i am hearing from drivers is "What about fuel surcharge ? Does that not cover our fuel cost increase ?
I guess one way for me to look at it is i never made it to 68 mpg so it want change for me ,i can't miss something i never had but i do understand the frustration some drivers will have.

My initial thought would be that very few would need to be changed because of the mph used to calculate the run time. In most cases a very conservative mph was used to determine ETA and any impact should be extremely minimal. However, that being said, I am sure that some may need to be adjusted and we will be double checking that.

This final decision was just made this evening and I wanted to get the information out as quickly as possible.

The question i am hearing from drivers is "What about fuel surcharge ? Does that not cover our fuel cost increase ?
I guess one way for me to look at it is i never made it to 68 mpg so it want change for me ,i can't miss something i never had but i do understand the frustration some drivers will have.

Well, it would be great we were able to capture all of the fuel surcharge that we publish each week. The fact is that we end up having to negotiate on the fuel surcharge just like we do on the discount in many cases. Before you know it we are giving much more of the fuel surcharge up than we end up keeping. This is not just happening to us but to the entire industry. Surely you have noticed many other carriers taking the same steps.

yes others are doing the same thing. i have another for you though easyrider . will my truck running 64 be turned up to 65 lol lol lol ..:hysterical::hysterical:.just a little Joke there,
will my truck be turned down from 65 to a lower speed?