Truckdriver Killed on Indiana Tollroad

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by krzy18whlr, Feb 4, 2012.

1. krzy18whlr

krzy18whlr Member

Truck driver dies in Indiana Toll Road accident

Email
    print

Share0

Truck driver dies in Indiana Toll Road accident

Photo illustration (Chicago Tribune)
    Staff report

3:35 a.m. CST, February 4, 2012

A horse trailer came loose from the truck pulling it down the Indiana Toll Road early Saturday morning near Chesterton before striking a semitrailer and killing its driver.

Authorities haven't notified the driver's family of the death and are withholding the driver's name.

Rick Bullis, of Wood Dale, was pulling the 12-foot trailer when it broke free from his truck, according to a release from the Indiana State Police. He was heading west.

The trailer hopped a median and ended up in the eastbound lanes, police said. It was empty.

Topics
    Motorvehicle Accidents
    Transportation Accidents

The trailer struck a semi pulling two trailers, causing that driver to lose control and cross into the westbound lanes before coming to rest in a ditch north of the toll road, according to police.

The semitrailer driver was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Police said Bullis wasn’t intoxicated and didn’t appear to make any unsafe lane movements before the accident. He was not cited or charged in connection with the crash.

chicagobreaking@tribune.com

2. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm,driver not charged in the accident??If that had been a freight trailer that came loose and caused a loss of life,me thinks it would be different.Hate it for everyone involved.

3. BuzzBeez

BuzzBeez Extraboard Crazy

Agreed a9fainnc. No citation? Nothing about safety chains? Seems to be some big holes in this story. RIP fellow driver.

4. Mike432

Mike432 Well-Known Member

I ggogled the story!

Truck driver dies after horse trailer hits semi in Indiana Toll Road crash - WGN
    Be safe everyone!

5. wikipie

wikipie Member

my thoughts go out to his family. glad i wasn t routed that way last night. really makes you think. i hope it wasn t one of our drivers.

6. buzzd09

buzzd09 New Member

It was a UPS Freight driver out of Chicago. He was on his way to South Bend.

7. FIRE IN THE WIRE

FIRE IN THE WIRE Active Member

Hell i came back across the tollroad heading back west around 4:30a went past where it had happened & they were still cleaning it up....with a few of what looked like company cars from that company. It was snowing around this time then. Got to the last service plaza after the lake station cashbox & a van got t-boned by a double 48ft skateboard....looks like the van was traveling east & crossed west....but all this happened hrs b4 i got there........

8. Boltseal

Boltseal Member

There is something wrong with this picture alright. How many different violations could this guy be written up with?

9. krzy18whlr

krzy18whlr Member

10. krzy18whlr

krzy18whlr Member

11. Mike432

Mike432 Well-Known Member

But the SUV driver didn't get cited at all!

12. Roadrunner73

Roadrunner73 Well-Known Member

Sure seems the police think truck drivers lives are somehow worth less than non truck drivers.

13. londondrivingschool

londondrivingschool Banned

aww thats so sad

These guys should go for proper training sessions like driving courses to have full control, or else we'll see truck accidents around every other corner...

14. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

Those drivers in those rental vans,campers,and motor homes scare the **** out of me at times.

15. FIRE IN THE WIRE

16. FIRE IN THE WIRE

lol...."he was not cited or charged in connection with the crash".....are u serious!? So the d@mn buster brown driver just went off & crossed the median on his own & into the ditch for fun!?..wtf! Let's get foreal here!

17. BuzzBeez

BuzzBeez Extraboard Crazy

So the Burnham driver whos only mistake was probably being in the wrong place when the van spun out gets this logbook ticket cause hey, we gotta blame somebody and the van driver is deceased. Its likely the lawyers (sharks) smelled blood in the water and are closing in right now with the log citation in hand to gain easier entry to deep pockets.

18. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

Police said Bullis wasn’t intoxicated and didn’t appear to make any unsafe lane movements before the accident. He was not cited or charged in connection with the crash.
    How the hell would the flatfoots know this??

Apparently it is JUST FINE with Indiana flatfoots when pulling Trailers with POVs and the Trailers wander off on their own run and sometimes kill People, but the person Driving the pulling vehicle is not accountable??
    I can easily see some Vigilante Justice being meted out, since the
    long arm of the law is, as usual, worthless.
    ---
    Driving School PUTZ.
    Thanks for adding such link which ISN'T NEEDED and is NOT APPRECIATED in this Thread!!