Trucker hit by a train,coming out of a plant waited on RXR tracks for a light to change

That's too bad, easily avoidable most of the time.
Doesn't hurt to remind drivers of RR crossing on shipping papers maybe could have avoided. Looks like just outside shipper's entrance.

I once sat for about an hour when the arms came down & warning lights stayed on due to a malfunction. I was well back from the tracks. Several cars & at least one truck went around me. As could be expected a train did pass before the problem was corrected. The train just missed a woman in a van with children when she went around the arms. The engineer was on the horns but the woman crossed anyway. I sure thought I was going to see a disaster. My thoughts were seeing children scattered all over the track. I will not cross a track when the arms are down & lights are flashing in a commercial vehicle. I was on the clock & drew an hour's wages. In every truck vs. train situation the truck always loses.

In my 45 year P&D career I had RXR crossing arms come down between my cab & box twice.
I did use caution looking right,left right,it looked safe to cross.
However when those arms came down I didn't wait,it was hammer down for this trucker.

Both times it took awhile for the trains to arrive at the crossings,as I watched in my mirrors.

But for this guy to sit on the tracks waiting for a light,I think he could have used better judgment.

The exception of not stopping for RRCs controlled by traffic signals is still difficult for me to understand.

Everyone I talk to regarding the exception does not know about it and say to always stop regardless no exception even if cop directing traffic just to be safe (hazmat).

Does anyone practice not stopping for signal controlled RRC?
What qualifies for the exemption?

What if the tracks are right before or right after an intersection with lights?
Or must it be a RRC with traffic lights and no other intersection? Basically 100% certainty the lights for RRC only nothing else.

If police are directing traffic,you are to obey them,if they signal you to go,unless of course if you see a train coming.
However the train may be stopped or going slow,so if the cop says go,you go.
As for signal lights,you should never park yourself on the tracks waiting for one to turn green.

If police are directing traffic,you are to obey them,if they signal you to go,unless of course if you see a train coming.
However the train may be stopped or going slow,so if the cop says go,you go.
As for signal lights,you should never park yourself on the tracks waiting for one to turn green.
Yea but there is an exception for traffic controlled RRC not to stop just like for police directing traffic.
My point is most drivers do not know about it or company policy is always stop.

Not much detail in the regulations on what exactly is a RRC controlled by traffic signal.

Yea but there is an exception for traffic controlled RRC not to stop just like for police directing traffic.
My point is most drivers do not know about it or company policy is always stop.

Not much detail in the regulations on what exactly is a RRC controlled by traffic signal.

Tracks that have the word EXEMPT under the cross bucks mean placarded trucks and buses do not have to stop for the grade crossing but must travel at a speed that if the light and or gates activated the truck or bus could stop b/4 the tracks. These are usually on tracks that get seldom use or go to a stub end siding say into a plant or warehouse.

As far as crossings controlled by a traffic light, we have several in NJ. There is a busy one in Edison on Route1. As the train approaches the traffic light will turn red and then the crossing gates and lights are activated and the train proceeds across the highway.[/QUOTE]

Tracks that have the word EXEMPT under the cross bucks mean placarded trucks and buses do not have to stop for the grade crossing but must travel at a speed that if the light and or gates activated the truck or bus could stop b/4 the tracks. These are usually on tracks that get seldom use or go to a stub end siding say into a plant or warehouse.

As far as crossings controlled by a traffic light, we have several in NJ. There is a busy one in Edison on Route1. As the train approaches the traffic light will turn red and then the crossing gates and lights are activated and the train proceeds across the highway.
[/QUOTE]
What is the intersection of the traffic light controlled RRC in Edison please?

Seems like if there is an intersection than it is not exempt, only exempt if the lights are for tracks only nothing else.
That would be a safe and only definite arguement in case of being ticketed for not stopping.
My concern are uneducated officers and time wasted contesting a ticket for not stopping at traffic light controlled RRC.

Maybe the truck driver was not educated enough to have stopped on the tracks in the first place?

What is the intersection of the traffic light controlled RRC in Edison please?

Seems like if there is an intersection than it is not exempt, only exempt if the lights are for tracks only nothing else.
That would be a safe and only definite arguement in case of being ticketed for not stopping.
My concern are uneducated officers and time wasted contesting a ticket for not stopping at traffic light controlled RRC.[/QUOTE]

2 different things -exempt was one part and the traffic light controlled is a separate statement.

The traffic light controlled one is on Route 1 in Edison just below I-287. The tracks cross route 1.

There is a traffic light controlled crossing in Red Bank NJ at the intersection of Monmouth Street and Bridge Ave. NJ transit goes through the middle of the intersection on an angle.

2 different things -exempt was one part and the traffic light controlled is a separate statement.

The traffic light controlled one is on Route 1 in Edison just below I-287. The tracks cross route 1.

There is a traffic light controlled crossing in Red Bank NJ at the intersection of Monmouth Street and Bridge Ave. NJ transit goes through the middle of the intersection on an angle.
I see the exempt sign in Edison. No doubt with those.

The Red Bank intersection/RRC seems dicey since the traffic lights are not just dedicated to the tracks and stop lines are more than 50' from tracks. I think judge would side with police officer if hazmat did not stop. Small town, commuter train.

Here in Chicago we have alot of tracks, I would hesitate not stopping in a similar setup.
Easier than going to court to argue.

Here's a RRC traffic light intersection I would not stop for with hazmat, but senior drivers do anyway.

yeJW1M9.jpg

Seems like folks would no better to stay back from the tracks while waiting for a green light.
As well as have the sense to obey crossing arms & Rail Road signals even if the light was green.
A lot of the time a little common sense saves a lot of trouble.

Seems like folks would no better to stay back from the tracks while waiting for a green light.
As well as have the sense to obey crossing arms & Rail Road signals even if the light was green.
A lot of the time a little common sense saves a lot of trouble.
What is this common sense your talking about, asking for a friend

FloriDUH. Nuff said.
- - - -
Your friend possesses (what used to be well known as) common inquisitiveness which proves some logical sense.

Common Sense is achieved through Trial and Error hence the seemingly increased amount of (what appear to be) common "senselessness" on our Highways and Byways.
It used to be "commoners" were full of common sense (don't hand feed the Caymans, don't build a house at the bottom of a hill, don't play cards with 2 finger Louie) while many have some common cents, most offer astounding common scents (especially in line at a fuel desk).
Some People do survive their Trial and Error methods to either Learn and Grow or usually stay in a hammered lane against traffic.

Common Sense was and shall not again be.

CHEERS!!