ODFL | Truckers Win $3.4M Settlement in Unpaid Overtime Class Action Lawsuit

So sad that this forum has got so negative so fast.Just beating a old stick in the ground.Other guy's are just loving it.Again just got'a love the road guy's beating this OT thing down the road.Again,when it doesn't even concern you.You get pay'd mileage&very good mileage pay at that to.There is no debate in this.This originally concern California only&they have different rules&law's.Again,all this does is create arguement&division on this forum&the company itself.I'm no Moderator&thank the lord I'm not.Because this tread would have been deleted when it was post'd.Moderator's on this forum have been nice.I have really enjoy'd this forum over the year's because I could come here & be proud of what we have here with all the hard working OD family that shares the view's&information thru out the company.Also the compliment's of other's who troll the forum's&like the fact that OD's Forum is very positive to the company.But,here lately with help of a few neg.poster's that just love to stir it up it has got be a freak'n joke.Thank You!!!
And yes I have respond'd lately to alot of post being a jerk.But,get so tired of the comment's that you all are trying&doing is just push people's button.Thinking it's all fun.But,in reality all we are doing is representing the company in a neg way.I'm sorry if I love working for such a great company&OD does look after me because I do represent the company not in just driving.But,other activity's to.It's a honor everyday when I put that uniform on&walk thru that gate every morning&when I go back thru that gate in the evening I feel like I have made a difference in someone's promise to there customer's.

And yes I have respond'd lately to alot of post being a jerk.But,get so tired of the comment's that you all are trying&doing is just push people's button.Thinking it's all fun.But,in reality all we are doing is representing the company in a neg way.I'm sorry if I love working for such a great company&OD does look after me because I do represent the company not in just driving.But,other activity's to.It's a honor everyday when I put that uniform on&walk thru that gate every morning&when I go back thru that gate in the evening I feel like I have made a difference in someone's promise to there customer's.

My Lord you make it sound like the world is coming to an end and the rapture's happened and we all done got left behind! We are just having debate and discussion. No one is claiming OD has gone round the bend and become the great Satan! We all (or I assume, I do anyway) still like working here. And we all still work hard to get the job done and make a difference. So what, OD ain't perfect. There's a couple of things they could do to improve. You think we are negative, you need to get out more. I hear more negativity at church than I do on this forum!

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate. I find it odd you would sensor people by deleting this if you were a moderator. Just because ppl speak up doesnt mean they dont bleed green and white like you, they do and they just want their time respected. The world isn't all peachy and everyone deserves to be heard. OD VP's will see this and they should. Too many ppl bite their tongues rather then asking for improvement when there are record setting years on the books and in the works. LH deserves an increase to delay, breakdown and drops/hooks and everyone else deserves OT. While I'm at it their 401k match isn't enough and the tractor dolly and forklift shortages are becoming unexplainable.

My Lord you make it sound like the world is coming to an end and the rapture's happened and we all done got left behind! We are just having debate and discussion. No one is claiming OD has gone round the bend and become the great Satan! We all (or I assume, I do anyway) still like working here. And we all still work hard to get the job done and make a difference. So what, OD ain't perfect. There's a couple of things they could do to improve. You think we are negative, you need to get out more. I hear more negativity at church than I do on this forum!
So far the only negative posts I've seen have been yours. We all want OD to be the best. The whole reason I think you deserve top pay it's because I think you p&d guys are the best.This forum is to discuss matters that affect us...all of us. Again the only one bringing up city vs. Line is you.
Please respect my ability to have this conversation with others who agree or disagree with me. Don't read it if you don't like what is being posted. And I don't give a rat's rear end what other ltl's think of us. I only care what you all think of us.

bZjRHN3.jpg

As a driver for XPO Logistics ( formally Con-way ) , I believe in the saying , " a rising tide lifts all boats". It only can increase the great reputation of Old Dominion when they take a leadership role in hourly compensation. It will match the leadership position OD has in other parts of the industry AND it will prove some of the naysayers wrong that the spectacular operating ratios are built on the backs ( in part ) of the no - overtime system.

Personally you would think from a management standpoint that overtime would discourage excessive amounts of hours and encourage better management of personnel - it typically doesn't at the overtime paying companies , but if you get stuck at work it is nice to know you'll get payed a little more for your time.

And Song , I'm right there with you on the skilled trade - we are skilled ( some of us highly ) and should be classified that way.

What happens in California has a way of drifting across the country like the weather ( or those hologram stickers on everyone's tractors )

Maybe Old Dominion will be the tide that raises all of the other no - OT boats?

Reactions: Ump
As a driver for XPO Logistics ( formally Con-way ) , I believe in the saying , " a rising tide lifts all boats". It only can increase the great reputation of Old Dominion when they take a leadership role in hourly compensation. It will match the leadership position OD has in other parts of the industry AND it will prove some of the naysayers wrong that the spectacular operating ratios are built on the backs ( in part ) of the no - overtime system.

Personally you would think from a management standpoint that overtime would discourage excessive amounts of hours and encourage better management of personnel - it typically doesn't at the overtime paying companies , but if you get stuck at work it is nice to know you'll get payed a little more for your time.

And Song , I'm right there with you on the skilled trade - we are skilled ( some of us highly ) and should be classified that way.

What happens in California has a way of drifting across the country like the weather ( or those hologram stickers on everyone's tractors )

It is a valuable and needed profession...but trucking is just not a highly skilled trade. The barrier to entry is just still too low. Will be interesting however to see the impact that the ELD requirement will have on the industry and who is eligible to drive a truck.

I would like to think so, but they are in the business of making money. They won't give overtime to hourly employees until they're required to do so. There's a lot of naysayers in our camp saying hours will all get cut to 40. I don't think it will happen. It's too expensive to pay benefits on all those employees to keep everyone at 40. The happy medium will be all hourly guys will get around 48-52 hours a week, they'll hire some drivers, and most folks will bring home the same they're making now for fewer hours.

I would like to think so, but they are in the business of making money. They won't give overtime to hourly employees until they're required to do so. There's a lot of naysayers in our camp saying hours will all get cut to 40. I don't think it will happen. It's too expensive to pay benefits on all those employees to keep everyone at 40. The happy medium will be all hourly guys will get around 48-52 hours a week, they'll hire some drivers, and most folks will bring home the same they're making now for fewer hours.

The hours will be cut. Washington is a prime example where everyone barely gets anything over 40. Corporate made our terminals over hire to keep the OT down. I just work 3.5 days a week now. Don't think for a second this company won't cut hours to cut cost.

The hours will be cut. Washington is a prime example where everyone barely gets anything over 40. Corporate made our terminals over hire to keep the OT down. I just work 3.5 days a week now. Don't think for a second this company won't cut hours to cut cost.

You can pretty much double your hourly wage when it comes to what it costs OD to employ you...when u count benefits, vac time, etc.
Fore the sake of argument, let's say you're at $25/hr. For 10 hours of work...

1 employee with 8 hours straight pay (8 x $50) and 2 hrs OT (37.50 x 2) equals $475 total cost.

2 employees working 5 hours each Regular pay (5 x $50) + (5 x $50) equals $500.

In this case working one guy longer is cheaper than employing 2 people in order to not pay OT.

Not saying my opinion either way...just looking at the math.

Everybody is only working 3.5 days a week now. Freight levels are still low!

Just TOO many people and TOO many new schedules added ... If this wasn't so ... The freight levels would be just fine ...
That's all fine and dandy but freight levels don't tell the whole story. OD has to be ready for when the freight picks up. If you get caught with your pants down you lose business to your competitor. It sucks for us drivers but if you've done this for any amount of time you should be prepared for it. I often find the guys complaining about his hours being short in February and March will be the same ones complaining about working 12 hours a day in July. This is not a 9 to 5 job people. If you need that, you need to look elsewhere and get out of the freight business altogether.

Last edited:
please do the math.. XPO/CONWAY would watch your hours like a hawk. most time when things were slow,you couldn't get 40 hrs,
we are taxed less,but bring the same amount home.. (o.d.) I did well in the city and on line haul I do very well.. worked a lot places..
13 places in the last 33 yrs.. over all.. Old Dom has the best; well rounded compensation program.. more money can also mean more
micro managing.. what do we trade off?? responsible,professional drivers.. that is the men and women of OLD DOMINION..

That's all fine and dandy but freight levels don't tell the whole story. OD has to be ready for when the freight picks up. If you get caught with your pants down you lose business to your competitor. It sucks for us drivers but if you've done this for any amount of time you should be prepared for it. I often find the guys complaining about his hours being short in February and March will be the same ones complaining about working 12 hours a day in July. This is not a 9 to 5 job people. If you need that, you need to look elsewhere and get out of the freight business altogether.

things are slow at our barn to.. line haul guys down to 4 days aweek running, but city guys are still ay 40-45 hrs a week.
I keep telling people,budget and be patient...