ODFL | Truckers Win $3.4M Settlement in Unpaid Overtime Class Action Lawsuit

Too many schedules that's for sure...
I,
Everybody is only working 3.5 days a week now. Freight levels are still low!
I'm dock /line combo and my last run was 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and that's because it was icy and someone could not make it, it's been all dock for me and I'm concerned that it will pick up enough for me to ride this out. I had to hit up my savings last month and it,looks like I will again this month. It's good i can work the dock but it doesn't pay like running.

I,

I'm dock /line combo and my last run was 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and that's because it was icy and someone could not make it, it's been all dock for me and I'm concerned that it will pick up enough for me to ride this out. I had to hit up my savings last month and it,looks like I will again this month. It's good i can work the dock but it doesn't pay like running.

I have a line haul run.. I tell the guys that work our extra board, to go do anything to get just that little bit more...
heck;i'll go out in the yard and sweep the pits or do garbage detail... it all pays.. better than washing trucks at streak'n beacon.. LOL!!

If it were law nationwide, you would see over 40. They couldn't and wouldn't hire enough employees to keep everyone at 40. Too much cost for health insurance to hire that many people. I think you would have a shot to get it now, what with the looming driver shortage on the horizon.
I talk to FedEx and ups ppl who regularly get more than 8 hrs a day. Whether OD would allow it may be a different answer

OD doesn't care to just use one effecient driver and give him OT. If corporate sees any OT, they freak and over hire sending 2 guys up to the area. In the PNW, they'll keep a good driver home and send up a worthless driver the next day just so that OT stays down. Been that way for years.

It's not a local decision either, regional corporate watches hours like a hawk since we can get OT in WA after 40 and will give our management a good yell'in.

OD doesn't care to just use one effecient driver and give him OT. If corporate sees any OT, they freak and over hire sending 2 guys up to the area. In the PNW, they'll keep a good driver home and send up a worthless driver the next day just so that OT stays down. Been that way for years.

It's not a local decision either, regional corporate watches hours like a hawk since we can get OT in WA after 40 and will give our management a good yell'in.
ABF does just the opposite. TM showed us the math. It was cheaper to pay overtime up to 18 hours a week than pay the Health & Welfare, employment taxes, work comp, etc, than hire another driver. And they practice it. 35,000.00 is the full amount ABF pays each year for all the medical & retirement funds they are required to by contract. I imagine that is a lot more than OD’s cost. I have been told 20% of that 35 grand is Pension & the rest for Medical. 35 grand for benefits is a lot to pay out before the 1st dime of wages. The difference in costs between the 2 companies might be the reason for lots of OT @ one company & very little @ the other. Keep in mind of that 20 grand, YRC is only paying 25 % of it. That is 15,000.00 less each year than what ABF pays. A YRC driver has to work 4 years to receive 1 year pension credit. The rank & file of YRC voted that in 2 contracts ago so they could keep the company afloat & gave up 15% wages of the Master Freight Contract. And because of that vote, some YRC drivers are giving up 20 years of vacation & seniority to come to ABF get 2 to 3 years credit of paid in full pension & retire. Each to his own. Von.

I talk to FedEx and ups ppl who regularly get more than 8 hrs a day. Whether OD would allow it may be a different answer

When I was working P&D at FedEx, OT was a big no no. Some extended routes where OT was inevitable were converted to 4/10s, 4 days on, no OT before 10 hours every day or 40 for the week. That was some time ago though and there was no shortage of drivers, we had 5 to 6 drivers sweeping the dock and restacking empty pallets every day just to get their 40 for the week.

Reactions: Ump
When I was working P&D at FedEx, OT was a big no no. Some extended routes where OT was inevitable were converted to 4/10s, 4 days on, no OT before 10 hours every day or 40 for the week. That was some time ago though and there was no shortage of drivers, we had 5 to 6 drivers sweeping the dock and restacking empty pallets every day just to get their 40 for the week.
Oh yes..The good old days. I remember when they pulled that crap. Same time they started putting freight in the rails and having outside carriers pulling their freight. I remember them hiring city guys like crazy and letting go line drivers. Well look at them now. Good drivers left, new drivers stayed, they can't get anyone to come work for them because the word got out that they over hire. They went from one of the best ltl's to work for to the drivers trying to bring in the union. I hope the leaders of OD paid attention, keep good people and pay them what their worth and they'll make sure you succeed. Don't....and you'll go the same route as FedEx.