Yellow | Trucking Companies Race to Add Capacity, Drivers as Market Heats Up

Daughter got her first ‘real’ job at 14 after babysitting for two years and son got his first at 11. Never had to give either of them allowances. There are plenty of people of ALL ages, I have worked with that have sloppy work ethic.

BTW, I’m all for putting off adulthood as long as possible. It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.
I enlisted in the military three days after I turned 18 years old in 1969. I entered a month later after I graduated from high school. My Mother was upset with what I did. I remember my Father saying he's 18 years old now, he can do whatever he wants. That's how it was in 1969. I couldn't wait to get out of the house.

Last edited:
d
I enlisted in the military three days after I turned 18 years old in 1969. I entered a month later after I graduated from high school. My Mother was upset with what I did. I remember my Father saying he's 18 years old now, he can do whatever he wants. That's how it was in 1969. I couldn't wait to get out of the house.
I graduated high school January 1975. I was 17. Joined the Army. First day of boot camp was 10 February 75. Lots of fun, travel, and adventure. All fun and games for me.

Reactions: mud
d
I graduated high school January 1975. I was 17. Joined the Army. First day of boot camp was 10 February 75. Lots of fun, travel, and adventure. All fun and games for me.

Your boot camp couldn't have been at Ft. Jackson,.... No fun and games there!!!

Hey mud was your class motto " sin sex women and wine we are the class of '69" ? Our school board didn't approve it for ours BUT we used it any ways. Jan 26 1970 the only lottery I won #8 on the board did 3 and out had some good times

Hey mud was your class motto " sin sex women and wine we are the class of '69" ? Our school board didn't approve it for ours BUT we used it any ways. Jan 26 1970 the only lottery I won #8 on the board did 3 and out had some good times

Like I said you kids never did Ft Jackson, yall rookies not tuff enough for the old days!
I wouldn't take anything for the things did, but wouldn't give a nickle to do them over again.

May be true Mr. Breeze did my boot in the rolling green fields of Ft. Campbell,Ky. in the middle of winter

Mine was in 150 degree July plus lost my Teamster pay check for $78 month.
Wasn't too funny to me. .....and no, I wouldn't lie about the weather!

1st off Trip I know we will disagree on this , But it's the "Companies " that will reap the $$$ windfall and it's just not in trucking , when you read the Sunday paper if full of ads for hiring ,BUT key thing is no companies wants to bump up the pay to hire workers !! and then these LAZY young age group Millenniums , are the most lazy s.o.b.s every .
So...YOUR generation has the RIGHT to say "no" to such poor-paying work, but these MILLENNIALS...SO LAZY. haha I'm not a millennial, but I can see some of their points. If Corporate America has their way, nobody will make above $50,000 per year. Well...except upper upper management, of course.

So...YOUR generation has the RIGHT to say "no" to such poor-paying work, but these MILLENNIALS...SO LAZY. haha I'm not a millennial, but I can see some of their points. If Corporate America has their way, nobody will make above $50,000 per year. Well...except upper upper management, of course.
Fine, go ahead and show corporate and lazy millennial's , 30 to 35 years old still living in mommie's basement playing video games !! point is they are lazy period !

Fine, go ahead and show corporate and lazy millennial's , 30 to 35 years old still living in mommie's basement playing video games !! point is they are lazy period !
My point was, we call them entitled jackasses, but it's not like WE want to work for peanuts, either.

All deregulation did was assure driver pay would stay perpetually depressed.

The concept of deregulation was to promote competitive pricing in the logistics and transportation of goods. The only the thing that has come to fore is price. Consumers are not aware of what ‘discount’ transportation service entails. Tail load to Curbside to white glove, are variables that the consumer may feel are negotiable at time of delivery and 3pl’s are more interested in ‘booking’ the job at their most profitable price. Strict tariffs allowed ‘service’ to be the determining factor. In the many industries of trucking, there are about five degrees of driver, delineated by 20% intervals, give or take. When deregulation was in its initial stages, the top 20% worked through the process and survived based on performance. As the discounts increased, those top tier professionals found new industries or different niches to provide their more unique skills.

There are a few left of the best of the best, but for the most part, mediocre is the new top percentile. One gets what one pays for.

Rather than reward and promote those with skill and knowledge, the industry looks to spend that money on equipment innovation that, on paper, is perceived as more safe and economical.

Curious how the industry has evolved.

I am thankful for my time in this industry, those professionals I have met and the skills and knowledge they have shared with me. I continue to be saddened by the many that are uninterested in acquiring that same knowledge.

My point was, we call them entitled jackasses, but it's not like WE want to work for peanuts, either.

Truck drivers are a dime a dozen and are very much overpaid, with the exception of Coop Dispatch drivers.
Here at Coop, we are paid what we are worth, the reason we make the "big bucks."
Sadly, only the chosen few can say, "I work for poop, er, I mean Coop"