Trump sends $25,000 check to fallen soldier's family on same day as Washington Post report

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Magoo, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

yes

https://www.theroot.com/family-of-fallen-solider-finally-receives-25-000-check-1819804215

Trump should have sent cash (that what Barry liked to do or was that only to terrorist nations )

Northern Flash likes this.
  2. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

I have a simple question.
    Why didn't President Trump immediately call the widow of Sgt. LaDavid Johnson and apologize if her perception of his first call was misconstrued? Put it on speakerphone for all to hear, and tell her profusely that , in no uncertain terms, he regrets the death of Sgt. Johnson and all the grief her family is going through. Make sure that she is respected like the Gold Star widow that she is.

Wouldn't that have ended all the controversy, and made anyone who tried to make political "hay" out of saying "he had to make two calls!" look like a partisan hack?

As someone who touts himself on being a master dealmaker and negotiator,....and with an extremely high I.Q., to boot,......wouldn't a call back to the grieving widow erased all the political shenanigans, and given Mr. Trump an immediate boost to the moral high ground?

I don't know,....I'm just a Big Dummy retired truck driver,.......but the solution seemed very clear to me. Maybe it was too simple of an answer for someone with an extremely high I.Q.

Magoo likes this.
  3. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

Was Hillary covering up the gun running operation? Why did she continue to lie about the crude video? Why did her and Obama not send help?

You are such a hypocrite that you are laughable. We have that information laying right under our nose, but you don't care.
    This Niger attack is still under investigation, and they'll get to the bottom of it.

4. Northern Flash

From what I hear, the leadership in the field felt that they could handle it.
    You are quite the armchair quarterback.

That's why there is an active investigation. With the Obama administration, the investigations were shut down as soon as possible.
    At least the Trump administration is looking for answers.

Let the investigation conclude and someone's head might roll.

How many heads "rolled" over the Benghazi cover up? ZERO!
    But I digress, that should be expected with a crooked Democrat running the show.

5. Northern Flash

The Obama administration wanted us to believe that is was just a demonstration that got out of control. And of course, you should also believe that the boys showed up to a demonstration, and just happened to have their rocket launchers in their back pockets.
    It would take an idiot to compare these two attacks.

6. Northern Flash

Actually no. Once it was obvious that the cow-skank and the widow were going to make this political, I wouldn't have called back to clear the air either, because they would have just ran with that further.
    Screw both the cow-skank and the widow. They both should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done with her husband's legacy.

ABFer likes this.
  7. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Maybe he would alienate his base by looking like he's cow towing to a minority?
    He doesn't seem to be too nice to Puerto Ricans either.
    Worst President ever in my life time

8. canaryinthemine

I think Mr. Trump is confusing leading "business" style,.....where you're an autocratic dictator whose every word is company policy , and every whim and caprice is slavishly attended to by sycophants.........with leadership,.....political-style,.....where you are more or less guiding a diverse group of differing opinions by force of intelligent debate among equal citizens.

One of those styles requires hard work, research, and good people skills....

The other one requires only the weight of billions of dollars, and the ability to fire the....."disagreeable"...people around you....

Magoo likes this.
  9. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with NF on this one. Did Trump err in his herbage? Maybe, I really don't give a :shit: about such a minuscule misstep. Furthermore, I believe that that 'grieving widow' is looking for Major Payday on this, nothing more, nothing less.

10. canaryinthemine

But what if the ....widow....told the truth about the phone call and the reaction she had? Wouldn't her perception override any supposed misinterpretation by even the President? Wouldn't a real leader notice what was the higher concern here?...the non-politiczation of an issue that transcends politics?

I have a son in the military now. My wife would be hyper-sensitive if she had to go through a call like that, ....to the slightest sort of minor insinuations of uncaring,......believe me,.....no matter who was President. She,....like many other widows and mothers,...would be looking for the potential to lay the blame somewhere,... That's why any military chaplain would tell you dealing with grieving families is the toughest, most draining duty there is.

The President's focus,......ANY president....should be on the Gold Star family,.......not on the opposition Congresswoman. But,...as we've seen in the Primary, this President apparently does not have a very good record with Gold Star families,......or with former POW's for that matter......

Kind of.....startling behavior....from someone with 5 deferments from the draft....

"Screw both the cow-skank and the widow".........Kind of a harsh statement, Brother........

Magoo likes this.
  11. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

The widow of Sgt Bryan Black gives a different description of President Trump's call.
    It starts at two minutes. Listen to it then decide whether you believe Trump or the cow-skank.

Northern Flash likes this.
  12. Keepingon

Keepingon Well-Known Member

You can flip this thinking to Fredricka Wilson also. If she was truly concerned about the family and was so angered couldn't she have put a call into the White House and informed the President that the widow was upset by his call and allow him to make a second call instead of running to the press and attacking him ?

Northern Flash, ABFer and Rastus like this.
  13. canaryinthemine

That's a valid point. So now we have a very polarized situation with two....."children".....and four dead soldiers. One of whom the widow was upset by Mr.Trump's call. So,...how did the ....."children"....fix it? They've spent the last week or so ignoring the widow, and trying to out-maneuver each other.

I would hope a leader would step forward. I was hoping it would've been Gen. Kelly. Instead it turned out to be General Dunford. His long , comprehensive, measured and respectful,....to both the press and the families involved,.......went a long way to smoothing over the ruffled feathers.

And,.....it appeared no one had to get into an argument with a four-star General,......S. Huckabee Sanders notwithstanding,........when the four-star General in question realizes his responsibilities to both the families and the American people requires a quiet and respectful review of what, exactly, went on. General Dunford recognizes a free press represents the ears of the American people, and he informed us very well to the best of his knowledge.

I would hope that General Dunford is now in charge of this onerous task. He seems to realize that political one-upmanship has no place in these solemn proceedings.

What was the title the conservative media gave Gold Star mother Cindi Sheehan when she was protesting President Bush's war in Iraq in which her son died for.............ummm....?

Oh, yeah....."Bitch in a Ditch." Made a lot of malicious fun of her. In hindsight,.....she was absolutely right........And.....She deserved respect.

Looks like we don't learn much from the mistakes of the past........

Magoo likes this.
  14. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

If that gold digging nag had any integrity she would say that she knows that Trump meant no harm and that the words just came out wrong (IF there is any validity to her complaint) and that there is nothing to be made of it but nooooooo she wants Major Payday and from the looks of that gofundme page she's getting it.

15. Rastus

I posted a clip of Sgt Black's widow discussing President Trumps phone call, start it at 2:00 minutes and watch for a minute.
    Watch and listen to what she says then decide if you want to believe trump or or
    the rhinestone hack.

16. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Soldiers use to get something like $10,000 life insurance policy for their family. I think it went up to 100K not sure, but thats not near enough to pay the bills with.
    I hope the widow and children get a few million into that go fund me account.

canaryinthemine likes this.
  17. Rastus

I'm sure if she does she'll share it with the other three widows.

18. canaryinthemine

Yes, I watched it. And the young lady in the video, Sgt. Black's widow,....had a very different experience with Mr. Trump. I am glad she was consoled, in her perception. All Gold Star mothers , widows and families should be consoled.

But,....it doesn't change the perception of Sgt. Johnson's widow. And......the overriding goal here,........is making sure the condolence call is just that. Out of respect, one might add.

Frankly, I wonder if Mr. Trump misses the big point here. As I said,....when the story broke that Mrs. Johnson was upset about the call from the President,.......Mr. Trump should've put all politics aside,....ignored them by not raising them to a level of national debate by voicing his opinion......and he should've immediately called Mrs. Johnson back and made it clear to her how deeply the nation feels about her husband's death......

The flat-out "political" advantage of seizing the moral high ground after a second call,.....would've been immesureable and made Mr. Trump's critics look very hypocritical and partisan at all costs. But I would like to give Mr. Trump credit for being......human........and hope that the reason for a second call was condolences and a proper perspective from Mrs. Johnson,...........and not politics.

I'm afraid Mr. Trump doesn't know how to say he's sorry, in my opinion......Having been married 41 years, I know the distinct advantage of saying that,......even if I think I'm right. There is no advantage scored gaining "political" points by being pig-headed about how "right" I am.

I'm not sure Mr. Trump knows this.......

19. Northern Flash

You must have been in a coma for the past eight years.:duh:

20. Northern Flash

Yep.
    And I ask the Trump haters this........

Since Trump DID NOT have to contact this widow to begin with, why the hell would he contact her and turn it into a negative?
    That makes no sense.