FedEx Freight | Trump's corporate tax cut for the windfall

The added dollar per hour is nice but it’s basically a slap in the face to road drivers, we’d like to see at least 2-3 cents more on the mile, that’s about what it would take to equal that dollar per hour raise percentage wise...just sayin’

Yeah, the road drivers are sorely underpaid.

I don't anticipate anymore than $.50hr for us city slackers. And it won't mean anything if we don't get the "normal" October raise.

Henceforth (or until economic situation changes) Fx is going back to 2 raises every year.
Every 6mo,
April,and October.

As to the ammount, who knows.

I'm determined to NOT spend a lot of time on this, but there are some points that should be considered, just off the top of my head.

And just so we know, I wanted to like this announcement, under the theme of "assuming positive intent".

The windfall at a glance (in billions)

1.5 Facilities in Memphis & Indi
1.5 Funding existing pension
0.2 Cost of early raise
3.2 Total investment stated in press release

As a percentage of Corp spending on salaries & benefits, $200M is .93%. Not even 1%

1/3 of that $200M goes to leadership incentive bonus. Fine in concept , but the small slice gets even smaller.

Seems to run counter to the PSP philosophy. Shouldn't people be a little higher priority that the above figures would suggest?

This should apply only to US workers. It stems from changes to US tax code. Other countries already had more favorable Corp. tax rates, so they should be unaffected.

We, as a group, voted (in part) for the concept of this more favorable business climate. Without that disruptive change, this most favorable tax policy would never have become a reality. You're welcome.

This $200M number is for all opp-cos, but does NOT include pilots. They are under contract for the pre-agreed term.

$200M cost suggests a predetermined (known) amount of that early raise, unless that is a grey number, which seems unlikely. Possible? Sure...

We don't know the ratios or how that number will be applied, but we must assume percentages to be similar to the past, in terms of allocation.

Seem the decision was made to remain mid-pack. Nothing bold or disruptive here. No advantage in the marketplace of recruiting. Opportunity missed, IMHO. But there is NEXT year., and the year after that...

At this point it all comes down to the amount of the early increase. THAT could change everything, but the numbers do NOT indicate that it will.

* I would suggest taking the upcoming survey seriously. Even though the decision will have been, or has likely already been, made.

Last edited:

I don't anticipate anymore than $.50hr for us city slackers. And it won't mean anything if we don't get the "normal" October raise.

Road drivers are severely underpaid. City driver's sleep in their own bed every night and don't work weekends or holidays. So quit whining. Road drivers deserve more money.

But just look at the prestige, get to blow the air horn, flirt with all those women, spread hate and discontent up and down
the road on the CB, I would have worked for $2 pr hr.

:violin:
I'm determined to NOT spend a lot of time on this, but there are some points that should be considered, just off the top of my head.

And just so we know, I wanted to like this announcement, under the theme of "assuming positive intent".

0.2 Cost of early raise

As a percentage of Corp spending on salaries & benefits, $200M is .93%. Not even 1%

1/3 of that $200M goes to leadership incentive bonus. Fine in concept , but the small slice gets even smaller.

Seems to run counter to the PSP philosophy. Shouldn't people be a little higher priority that the above figures would suggest?

This should apply only to US workers. It stems from changes to US tax code. Other countries already had more favorable Corp. tax rates, so they should be unaffected.

This $200M number is for all opp-cos, but does NOT include pilots. They are under contract for the pre-agreed term.

$200M cost suggests a predetermined (known) amount of that early raise, unless that is a grey number, which seems unlikely. Possible? Sure...

We don't know the ratios or how that number will be applied, but we must assume percentages to be similar to the past, in terms of allocation.

Seem the decision was made to remain mid-pack. Nothing bold or disruptive here. No advantage in the marketplace of recruiting. Opportunity missed, IMHO. But there is NEXT year., and the year after that...

At this point it all comes down to the amount of the early increase. THAT could change everything, but the numbers do NOT indicate that it will.

* I would suggest taking the upcoming survey seriously. Even though the decision will have been, or has likely, already been made.

Exactly, ‘cause 100k is pretty tough to live on

Road drivers are severely underpaid. City driver's sleep in their own bed every night and don't work weekends or holidays. So quit whining. Road drivers deserve more money.

Ah, well maybe you're a night time Road Driver. Well, in that case you can bid for the City! Join us with the daytime Spa time and nekkid women by the pool! Free beer at the end of the day and an extra week of free time off. Of course, you have to get out of your cab more than twice a day. That may be a deal killer.

I never claimed road drivers were “sorely underpaid”, I was just stating the facts!!

When we look at the last wage increase in Oct, the raise for hourly drivers on the tier 3 pay scale amounts to a 3.75% increase while the mileage drivers saw a 1.5% increase, meaning the hourly drivers got more than double the raise than the mileage drivers...not that I'm complaining by any means...and the raises/percentage increases have been like this for the last several years...just sayin’

I never claimed road drivers were “sorely underpaid”, I was just stating the facts!!

When we look at the last wage increase in Oct, the raise for hourly drivers on the tier 3 pay scale amounts to a 3.75% increase while the mileage drivers saw a 1.5% increase, meaning the hourly drivers got more than double the raise than the mileage drivers...not that I'm complaining by any means...and the raises/percentage increases have been like this for the last several years...just sayin’

Maybe they realize finally that the City drivers are sorely underpaid.

Not that I care. I can bid for the Road, get started on Extra Board and go forth. You can do the same with the City. We each have our own reasons and excuses to do what we do. I think it's funny that so many folks act like they are locked into what they are doing. Good God. Go do something else. Explore the world. Go to another company if you're that unhappy.

I find it funny that folks sit and whine and moan like they are handcuffed to FX for life. Not speaking directly to you RR, just in general.

0.2 Cost of early raise

We, as a group, voted (in part) for the concept of this more favorable business climate. Without that disruptive change, this most favorable tax policy would never have become a reality. You're welcome.

* I would suggest taking the upcoming survey seriously. Even though the decision will have been, or has likely already been, made.

I hate to say I told you so, because I wanted you to be right and share your optimism. We have been here before, only to be let down time and time again by the company. Hope the raise is at least a dollar or it will be very disappointing. I would have liked the rumor by the point the best. I'm sure they will find something next year to waste the money on rather than their employees.

Maybe they realize finally that the City drivers are sorely underpaid.

Not that I care. I can bid for the Road, get started on Extra Board and go forth. You can do the same with the City. We each have our own reasons and excuses to do what we do. I think it's funny that so many folks act like they are locked into what they are doing. Good God. Go do something else. Explore the world. Go to another company if you're that unhappy.

I find it funny that folks sit and whine and moan like they are handcuffed to FX for life. Not speaking directly to you RR, just in general.

If you are, or have been around truck drivers long enough, you should know their nomenclature is to whine and moan.

Well all I'll say is... I welcome anything and everything that comes our way as far as improvements to our lives....and would just like to say ...
Thank You Mr.President.....for righting this ship called the U.S.A that was listing......where we were having that skinny finger of the last president stuck in our face telling us we're bad....we're wrong.....we're undeserving...other people are more important....other countries are more deserving.....other special interest groups are what make us great....etc...

And the 2 before him were just as bad.....

Thanks again President Trump ...and thanks to the board for passing the windfall along......

GPD oh wait, you guys in clt already get it

Just another smoke and mirror game from top level leadership. I can see what is coming next week or the following weeks as local leadership will pump this "windfall" to us. "Hey we are moving the wage increase back to April (for no other reason but to get your attention away from what we should have given you). And because of the tax break (that FedEx lobbied so hard for) you will get $1.10 an hour more. The company thought long and hard on how best to use this money (actually we just figured a way to throw you a few crumbs but make a good press release) and decided to spend it on the people that make FedEx a great place to work.

Moving forward we will continue our People First philosophy and are working on other driver enhancements (we are making this part up because most of you will forget about anything else in a few weeks). We are also injecting $1.5 billion into the pension fund to enhance your retirement (well at least it is getting closer to being fully funded)."

Nothing says retirement like "free" company money at a sub 5% return and it's portable so you can take it with you when you leave (we really don't care as much about driver retention as we say we do). Most companies have abandoned pension plans but we hold tight to it. Just compare your 401(k) to the company pension balance in your account. Which is doing better? Now ask the company why they didn't adjust the 401(k) match or announce something related to health insurance?

Disappointed but not ungrateful for our small win. The company really missed the mark in my mind but I should have expected it based on past performance. Not sure what the survey is about or when we can fill it out but I strongly suggest everyone voice your feelings in it for future enhancements. Perhaps next year we will get something better but not holding my breath?

Just another smoke and mirror game from top level leadership. I can see what is coming next week or the following weeks as local leadership will pump this "windfall" to us. "Hey we are moving the wage increase back to April (for no other reason but to get your attention away from what we should have given you). And because of the tax break (that FedEx lobbied so hard for) you will get $1.10 an hour more. The company thought long and hard on how best to use this money (actually we just figured a way to throw you a few crumbs but make a good press release) and decided to spend it on the people that make FedEx a great place to work.

Moving forward we will continue our People First philosophy and are working on other driver enhancements (we are making this part up because most of you will forget about anything else in a few weeks). We are also injecting $1.5 billion into the pension fund to enhance your retirement (well at least it is getting closer to being fully funded)."

Nothing says retirement like "free" company money at a sub 5% return and it's portable so you can take it with you when you leave (we really don't care as much about driver retention as we say we do). Most companies have abandoned pension plans but we hold tight to it. Just compare your 401(k) to the company pension balance in your account. Which is doing better? Now ask the company why they didn't adjust the 401(k) match or announce something related to health insurance?

Disappointed but not ungrateful for our small win. The company really missed the mark in my mind but I should have expected it based on past performance. Not sure what the survey is about or when we can fill it out but I strongly suggest everyone voice your feelings in it for future enhancements. Perhaps next year we will get something better but not holding my breath?

Spot on nice post.