Tuesday

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Well this has almost nothing to do with food service, but I have been participating in democracy and the American legal system this entire week. That's right I get in my car and drive down town to the court house and sit in a waiting room all day waiting to get picked for a Jury trail.

I've been on Jury duty all week and it's been a real gas. My day is as follows I go in sign the sheet, make some idle chatter. Go read the trucking forums. Go look out the window, make some more idle chatter, go read the forums on Internet Movie Data Base. Go make some more idle chatter look out the window. Today this guy and I went across the street at lunch to the Hilton and rode the elevator to the top floor and then rode it back down walked a couple blocks and ate lunch at some bar the food was average and the bar was clearly not a GFS account thank goodness, because the potato soup was not that good and the food was average.

Then we walked back to the court house and went through security and went back up made some more idle chatter with the people and did a little bit of reading, but at Jury duty the thing of it, is, is you can only read for so long you can only look at your phone for so long. I was talking with the girl sitting next to me off and on all morning and she was nice and pretty enough, but you could tell she was one of those who was totally addicted to her phone and electronic devices, but even Jury duty will break the most hard core phone addicts, because phone addicts only look at there phone in short bursts. When they are held captive in a room with unlimited time to look at there phone eventually they become phoned out and there were a couple times I would see her just staring off into space at the wall because you can only look at your phone for so long.

I watched the people go all around the room yesterday I watched this other girl she would go set up her computer do some work then pack up all her stuff and march right out of the waiting room and then march right back in and sit down. Then there was a man today who decided enough was enough he was going to get some excersize and started doing laps around the room it's a big room so 20 laps or so and you could get in a mile. I also saw that same man doing arm curls with his back pack.

All in all Jury Duty is a hurry up and wait mentality kind of thing, the people there in the Jury room are nice the guy who sits at the table near my chair ha-ha works for the city and we were talking about truck driving a little today and so that's all well and good. Whatever it hasn't been that bad really.

Don't they cut anyone lose early or does everyone stay all day, the times I had it they would check the afternoon court schedule and if was light they would cut people loose at lunch time. What you really don't want to get on is a federal jury, some of those case go on for months and months, whats jury pay where your at ?, ours is $10.00 a day and the courthouse is downtown so it almost covers parking.

Ours is $27.00 same deal court house down town. They make us sit there all day because they "don't know when there going to call for Jurors."

I'm thinking today though there's a possibility of getting cut work wants me back for Friday said there running short on drivers and they can't cut or combine my Friday route.