ABF | turnkey deliveries

Does anyone have any safty issues with turnkey deliveries?

Is that like a key drop? Where you use a key to open the customers door to deliver? If so, no, I have done that for years, the only time I haven't is when I spent 7 years at fedex.

No safety issues, unless you call a bad neighborhood a safety issue.

I have done a lot of these, unpack, setup and trash removing. The problem is when it's a two man delivery and they send one man. I did two of them Friday.

I`ve done a lot of these turn keys. I haven`t had any safety issues. I do see a problem if it is a 2 man del. and they don`t send any help. You should refuse to do a delivery that requires 2 people if your by yourself. If you get hurt or something is damaged because you can`t handle it yourself the company is still going to try to blame you even if they say they have no one available to help.

I`ve done a lot of these turn keys. I haven`t had any safety issues. I do see a problem if it is a 2 man del. and they don`t send any help. You should refuse to do a delivery that requires 2 people if your by yourself. If you get hurt or something is damaged because you can`t handle it yourself the company is still going to try to blame you even if they say they have no one available to help.

What exactly are yall calling turn key deliveries? What is the situation, I think I may be thinking of something else.

What exactly are yall calling turn key deliveries? What is the situation, I think I may be thinking of something else.

A turnkey is an inside delivery with an assembly and set up. It could be anything from electronic equipment to mattresses. Lately we have had portable scaffolds for Ryder truck leasing. We del. on a flatbed and it is a 2 man assembly.

A turnkey is an inside delivery with an assembly and set up. It could be anything from electronic equipment to mattresses. Lately we have had portable scaffolds for Ryder truck leasing. We del. on a flatbed and it is a 2 man assembly.

Thanks ABF, I was thinking it was something all together different. Its nothing like I do, thank you for the clarification.

GT

Is that like a key drop? Where you use a key to open the customers door to deliver? If so, no, I have done that for years, the only time I haven't is when I spent 7 years at fedex.

No safety issues, unless you call a bad neighborhood a safety issue.
no, its where we unpack, setup the item(s), and remove any trash we generate.. make sure when it is a two man job, that dispatch sends out a second man! those tables are a good example of a two man job...

last week i was sent to help another driver make a matress turnkey del. at a residence going to the second floor. there in lyes thesafety issue.the matress weighed about 250 #.not that big of a problem but back injuries are serious and you never know.you can have a back injury just by twisting the wrong way. SAFETY ISSUE.

no, its where we unpack, setup the item(s), and remove any trash we generate.. make sure when it is a two man job, that dispatch sends out a second man! those tables are a good example of a two man job...

Oh, on the moves that you guys do..Gotcha, I can see where you would want a 2nd man to set all that stuff up. I didn't know you did stuff on a flat bed.

The safety issue comes into play when you have to carry a 250# foam mattress upstairs and set it up even with 2 people it's dangerous.The way oji pays you lose all the way around not to mention the removal of the old used matress.Can you say biohazard?

I know what you're talking about grocery thrower. I delivered food before ABF. We called them darkstops. I always kinda liked them. Seemed like it saved a lot of time when you didn't have anybody holding you up. You could just get out there and do your thing. It did make me a little nervous at night on the wrong side of the tracks, ya know?

I know what you're talking about grocery thrower. I delivered food before ABF. We called them darkstops. I always kinda liked them. Seemed like it saved a lot of time when you didn't have anybody holding you up. You could just get out there and do your thing. It did make me a little nervous at night on the wrong side of the tracks, ya know?

Poptart, that brings back memories, I had a stop in Houston off MT. Houston road, it was hispanic, there was a hispanic bar right by the donut shop, I had to go through the back door, right by the door there was a dumpster that all these guys would go pee behind, that was to my right coming out of the shops back door, to my left was the back of the strip mall where everyone sat and smoked dope I guess, lets just say, when I took a load in, I led out the back with the wheeler, hoping it would get whacked instead of me, I delivered that stop with a key for over a year and never had an incident. I was always nervous though, Cambodian people owned the shop and they were very good to me, they would always leave me sausage rolls take with me, I miss that job!!

We call them key drops. Do that every trip. Atleast two-three stops. Safety is the number one thing to remember with key drops. BEWARE OF YOUR SURRONDINGS AT ALL TIMES!

safety issues????
we lost several guys to long term injuries suffered while performing them
where's the profit in that?
pay workman's comp for the rest of someone's life vs what abf makes on these deliveries!
can't figure that out but then again i am only a truck driver :hysterical:
i guess abf is trying to repeat the success it found with the u-packs and relo cubes but those do not place you in harms way:1036316054:

why is abf fulling flat beds with the containers on them?
the flat bed is used for picking up and delivering the relocation "relo" cubes. those cubes are great for small moves. i am just glad i am not "qualified" to pull them. i was on a city run, and watched the guy that normally does it in downtown dayton, and i must admit, he got nerves of steel...

Hey Big Steve,what do you think of the health issues that come with handling a total strangers used matress? Herpes ,TB and who knows what else you can pick up.Not sanitary if you ask me.

Hey Big Steve,what do you think of the health issues that come with handling a total strangers used matress? Herpes ,TB and who knows what else you can pick up.Not sanitary if you ask me.

That's funny! Guess you don't remember what truck stop toilets used to look like years ago!! :shock: