ABF | turnkey deliveries

I work in term 231 We have had 2 mattress deliveries rejected so far. the one I was involved with was a king size that weighed 290 lbs. and stated on the delivery receipt that it was 28 total steps to the 3rd level of the house. I am 51 yrs old and the driver I was sent to assist is 60 yrs. old. it's amazing how the Abf policy is that we don't do steps but if they can get more money then it's ok. unsafe doesn't even begin to describe that situation. We didn't make the delivery first because there was no room to park 2 t/trailers to do the dely. and after dispatch called the cust. and was told we could park across the street on the grass, we advised dispatch that if we parked there they could send wreckers to pick them up off of their sides and put them back on the road! Turnkey is one thing, being a PACKMULE is another and we need to make them realize we are a Freight company and not a household goods mover. The Ryder deliveries are another animal unto themselves. I described it as a highwire act or similar to 2 monkeys trying to screw a football. some of this doesn't make sense! your thoughts?

Hey Big Steve,what do you think of the health issues that come with handling a total strangers used matress? Herpes ,TB and who knows what else you can pick up.Not sanitary if you ask me.

as far as my terminal is concerned we do not touch used matresses
that is the customer's responsibility and i think abf agrees with practice
i wouldn't touch them for sure
i wonder if you could sue the customer if something is caught?
:biglaugh:

Ok guys isee we are on the same paGE ON THIS ONE.wE ALL NEED TO REJECT ANYTHING GOING UPSTAIRS REGARDLESS OF TURNKEY OR NOT.IBT and the health dept. need to get involved because i know that even the most remote chance of getting a virus or infection is too risky.

Why does ABF get into this business? Haul LTL freight and thats it! No set up, no moving peoples sheite! What the heck are they thinking? If they want to move people make it shipper load, consignee unload. Is ABF that hard up?

Ok guys isee we are on the same paGE ON THIS ONE.wE ALL NEED TO REJECT ANYTHING GOING UPSTAIRS REGARDLESS OF TURNKEY OR NOT.IBT and the health dept. need to get involved because i know that even the most remote chance of getting a virus or infection is too risky.

first of all you have to be careful about stairs
refuse in certain situations and they will fire you
ACCORDING TO THE UNION WE DO STAIRS!
the only time you can refuse anything is in these situations
1-it is illegal
2-unsafe
3-places you in harms way
removing used matresses does exactly that
carrying a 10-20lb box up a few steps does not place you in harms way, so be careful
however a 150lb mattress up a flight of stairs by yourself is another matter
why would anyone even consider doing this is beyond me
we are not mules even though some of us make assine decisions at times and become mules
call dispatch and request help
if dispatch wants the shipment delivered they will send someone:chairshot:
important thing is once you go down that road
DO NOT GIVE IN AND PERFORM THE DELIVERY BY YOURSELF:1036316054:the trouble is often times more than not the driver makes the mistake and gives in as he doesn't want to work around the freight the rest of the day or it will screw up his other deliveries by returning to the terminal to take the freight off
this dilema is their problem and is a result of poor planning, essentially it is not your problem......
if you are ordered to do whatever anyway, keep this in mind
when it is physically unsafe or impossible to do by yourself, what can they do to you?
but refuse carrying a 20lb box up a flight of stairs well you know what will happen
if you apply reasonable thought to the situation at hand, you will be alright
the stupid pool table deliveries were a prime example
one man without a liftgate and pallet jack could not accomplish this delivery and the company knew it, so their answer was to place a sheet of plywood on the truck so one man could slide it off
how ridiculous is that
we always got a second man and if necc 3 and 4 depending on the delivery
ask for help is the key!!!!!!
best advice is be careful
as far as requesting assistance is concerned, dispatch's usual answer to that request is,
"i don't have anyone else to help you"
in that case all you have to do is either flag the delivery and work around it or then ask dispatch where he wants you to place the freight on the dock when you return to the terminal
DOING THIS USUALLY CHANGES DISPATCH'S TUNE:biglaugh:

What about the new ones going to Taco Bell, some kind of frozen drink machine. They need this special lift to get them to the counter. Because they are so heavy the machine's are scratching the counter when they are pushed back. I understand that Taco Bell already filed a complaint about this.

:hide: OK folks. I do not work for ABF. I have always respected ABF as a good LTL carrier.
This " Turnkey Delivery " thing has got me shaking in my boots.
This is the first time that I have hoped for ABF to fail with their ideas.
It sounds to me like they are trying to kill us old timers.
If my company picks up on this and implements it, I will probably have to take early retirement.
By the way, I am a 20 plus year Con-Way Freight employee, and do not mean to infringe on your thread. I cruise the BOARDS and glean what I can.
In my 20 plus years at Con-Way, I have never been asked, or told to do this kind of stuff, and I hope it stays that way!!!!!!!
This thread is the first that I have heard of this, and I personally hope it is DOA!
Please excuse me for posting on your board. :smilie_132:

i am sorry..

:hide: OK folks. I do not work for ABF. I have always respected ABF as a good LTL carrier.
This " Turnkey Delivery " thing has got me shaking in my boots.
This is the first time that I have hoped for ABF to fail with their ideas.
It sounds to me like they are trying to kill us old timers.
If my company picks up on this and implements it, I will probably have to take early retirement.
By the way, I am a 20 plus year Con-Way Freight employee, and do not mean to infringe on your thread. I cruise the BOARDS and glean what I can.
In my 20 plus years at Con-Way, I have never been asked, or told to do this kind of stuff, and I hope it stays that way!!!!!!!
This thread is the first that I have heard of this, and I personally hope it is DOA!
Please excuse me for posting on your board. :smilie_132:
buddy, i hate to tell you this then, but ABF is making a killing on this service, and other carriers do know this.... from the upacks, to the relocubes, which r and l is also doing now, to the specialized services, i believe this will become standard, just my opinion...

How did the Local allow this? Unpacking boxes and setting whatever it is up? I was under the impression that an inside delivery was just inside the front or back door, whichever is easiest and NO Steps. Better yet, in the garage.

My number one rule with house deliveries is:
NEVER ENTER A HOUSE WITHOUT A COWORKER PRESENT ~ NO MATTER WHAT. It's your word against anyone in that house if any accusations should arise. Examples, you damaged something, you stole something, you harrassed someone. Always ask for help with these deliveries if you must enter the home so you have a witness from your own company. Protect your good name and your back by getting help.
I won't even place things in their garage unless it's in plain view of the street and neighbors. If the garage is behind the house and not in view of the street and neighbors, forget it.

Taco Bell

So far I have done about 15 of the Taco Bell deliveries. If you cut 4 pcs of small PVC pipe. Place the PVC on the counter spread out, lift the machine a little higher than the counter and you can just slide off the cart and onto the counter. After that lift one end and take out the Pvc. This works real well.