Holland | Two hour layover gone?

howlinwolf
A few questions come to mind 1st-have you called payroll yet and asked why layover wasn't paid and requested an answer in wrighting as described in the NMFA ? Have you called your steward or BA ? Have you filed a grievance . As stated in previous post nomatter who is running the show the contract must be adhered to.When a company tries to vary from the contract,their feet must sometimes be held to the fire. 10-4.

wireless internet

does any one have a password to get on holland's connection at the terminal's so at least when we set aroud for hours on end we'll have something to do. lol:hide:

Do not take the attitude that this is just the way it is. WE MUST FIGHT YRC AND THE COMPANY STEALING OUR MONEY! Get your local BA and President involved. Everyone should write Tyson Johnson (freight director)@ International
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Freight Division
25 Louisiana Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20001
and let him know that we are not going to stand for this injustice. Everyone should file a grievance on the time and another for the memo from Jack (the one for Feb. 11th) about the two hour work call. We already had this policy, the company just changed the wording to justify stealing our money.
UNITED WE STAND.
DIVIDED WE FALL!

Do not take the attitude that this is just the way it is. WE MUST FIGHT YRC AND THE COMPANY STEALING OUR MONEY! Get your local BA and President involved. Everyone should write Tyson Johnson (freight director)@ International
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Freight Division
25 Louisiana Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20001
and let him know that we are not going to stand for this injustice. Everyone should file a grievance on the time and another for the memo from Jack (the one for Feb. 11th) about the two hour work call. We already had this policy, the company just changed the wording to justify stealing our money.
UNITED WE STAND.
DIVIDED WE FALL!
Howlinwolf, if you were shorted contractual time due you, file for it! The memo from Jack? Who is Jack? If he is a Mgr. of some kind, he has NO right to hang paper that arbitrarily changes the contract. The "memo" should have been formally protested where it was posted at... Any agreement that is contractual, supplemental or agreed to locally has to be signed by the Co. AND the Union... Contractual language cannot be changed without a re-opener. Supplemental language can only be amended by decisions rendered by respective committee and local agreements usually are inked with a 30 day notification clause to terminate by either side...

Layover time....................

I heard yesterday that they have already cleared this up. But when in doubt file on this until we see it back in our checks. Seems that they are wanting to play between the HOFFA Rules and the NMFA.:nutkick: :chairshot:

not to start anything here and I am new to the industry. i am just wondering why the company should pay you layover when you arent working.

The reason the compay should pay layover when we are not working is because: #1 it is in our contract.. #2 It is past practice. #3 If there is no penalty for waitin on our loads because the company cannot orginize their freight in timely manner, then we would sit for how long for free? #4 We get paid these times to compensate us for our time, If we did not have this penalty, we could sit at a hotel/motel for days. Or we could be like some of the non-union carriers and wait on loads or repairs for $0 - $50 - $75 per day. #5 This structure is part of our pay that was fought for by Teamsters through out the years.
#6 Basically, it is incintive to keep the freight and Drivers Moving and to keep the Company productive.
I hope this anwers your question.
What's that saying? "Time Is Money"

not to start anything here and I am new to the industry. i am just wondering why the company should pay you layover when you arent working.

Fair question... What we're referring to as lay over pay is compensation that we receive after a certain time period of rest at an away terminal. Gov't rules mandate that we have a minimum 10 hour rest period after a 14 hour duty period (up to 11 hrs. driving and 3 hrs. on duty time).
We are union represented drivers and to ensure that our time isn't abused by the co.'s signatory to our agreement, our union mandates a time period after the 10th hour of rest for the co. to get us back on the road, either home, or our next destination. This time period was put in place to prevent the co.'s from abusing our time away from home (and our pay week), holed up in a motel somewhere for an unreasonable amount of time with no chance for compensation. If we're not called before the 12th hour and dispatched out before the 14th hour, we draw hourly pay until the co. gets us on the road... Now what's fair? Our non-union Brethern in the truckload sector of this industry will set for days, in the truck, in a truckstop parking lot and collect maybe a 50.00 daily layover stipend from their employer for their time spent waiting for a load! Is that right? Their time is just as important as ours. The only difference is this: WE done something about it! They haven't... Time is a precious commodity. Especially when you're away from your family. Driver's should be compensated for the time spent in the service of the co. After the mandatory 10 hr. rest period is up, you're in the service of the co. because you are available for work. Hey, we give them 2 extra hours!

No..it is still there......If you are called 1 minute after your 12th hour of layover and take your full 2 hour show-up time and hit the clock 1 minute after your 14th hour YOU WILL be paid 2 hours.....if they call you after your 13th hour you still will be paid 2 hours if you punch 1 minute after your 14 hour.....if you are called after your 14 hour and want to get up and go....the 2 hour show-up time is your business.....just make sure you have the cleared 14 hours and 1 minute........KK

Section 3. Layover

Where an employee is required to layover from his/her home terminal, layover pay shall commence following the fourteenth (14th) hour after the end of the run.

If an employee is held over after the fourteenth (14) hour, he/she shall be guaranteed two (2) hours pay, in any event, for layover time. (Mechanical breakdown and equipment failure is not to be included in the two (2) hour guarantee, but employee will be paid for actual time delayed only in such event.) If he/she is held over more than two (2) hours, he/she shall receive layover pay for each hour held over up to eight (8) hours in the first twenty-two (22) hours of layover period, commencing after the run ends. This pay shall be in addition to the pay to which the employee is entitled if he/she is put to work at any time within the twenty-two (22) hours after the run ends. The same principle shall apply to each succeeding eighteen (18) hours, and layover pay shall commence after the tenth (10) hour.

Yes it is, Dan. But regardless of that, I think the point that is trying to be made here is this: Contract language can't just up and be changed by some Mgr. somewhere because he/she thinks that they can. Anyone that claims contractual time and is not compensated for it, needs to utilize their greivanace procedure "to be made whole in every way"...

I don't think that the exact contract language is important. The important issue is that Holland has it's own system and we have always been paid wait time reguardless if we are in the motel or not. Article 6 section 1 of the N.M.F.A. talks about maintenance of standards. This covers all regions. There are many perks that the company already gets froms us, such as we do not have a-b-c dispatch. Also, we kick and pick freight, the other companies line haul drivers do not touch freight. The bottom line is the Company already has it made with the things that we do for them, I am not ready to give them everything.

I don't think that the exact contract language is important. The important issue is that Holland has it's own system and we have always been paid wait time reguardless if we are in the motel or not. Article 6 section 1 of the N.M.F.A. talks about maintenance of standards. This covers all regions. There are many perks that the company already gets froms us, such as we do not have a-b-c dispatch. Also, we kick and pick freight, the other companies line haul drivers do not touch freight. The bottom line is the Company already has it made with the things that we do for them, I am not ready to give them everything.
Exact contract language is indeed important! I do realize that Holland does a few things differently than what is prescribed in the master/supplemental agreements. Layover compensation is well defined in whatever supplement you're covered by. This isn't exactly an Art. 6 situation nor does it have to do with any type of dispatch method rule that differs from the supplements that Holland Drivers work under. My point is this: Mgmt. has no right whatsoever to change up in midstream and decide that they're NOT going to do this or do that. It's not up to them! Fortunately, we have recourse and a ways and means to address these situations as they arise...

HiWayhombre according to you info. you drive for Yellow frt. Therefore you are paid like Holland is trying to change us to and just like KK Quoted the contract as saying.

Jarhead 13 is right article 6 Maint. of standards is what we will have to fight for. Holland has always paid us differently for our layover and wait then the rest of the union co. have been paid. And just because Yellow or YRC wants to change it to the other way, they should not be able to during the middle of a contract. Just my opinion but they should have to continue paying us the way they always have due to " MAINT. OF STANDARDS ART. 6" for the rest of this contract.

HiWayhombre according to you info. you drive for Yellow frt. Therefore you are paid like Holland is trying to change us to and just like KK Quoted the contract as saying.

Jarhead 13 is right article 6 Maint. of standards is what we will have to fight for. Holland has always paid us differently for our layover and wait then the rest of the union co. have been paid. And just because Yellow or YRC wants to change it to the other way, they should not be able to during the middle of a contract. Just my opinion but they should have to continue paying us the way they always have due to " MAINT. OF STANDARDS ART. 6" for the rest of this contract.
If there is a letter, signed, that outlines your layover compensation formula that differs from whatever supplement you work under, the claims need to be made invoking that letter. I'm not here to argue whether your layover compensation is the same as ours or not, that's not the point.
The point is: File for any shortage!

By the way, is Holland's wait time/layover compensation the same for you guys systemwide or by region? Also, in an earlier post on this thread, there was mention of a letter being posted that was serving to change the formula/language used for your layover compensation. I posted to it that the letter should have been protested before the ink had dried on it... That would have put it in limbo until resolution had been reached...

USFCLOSER - May I ask who do you work for?I 'm puzzeled by your handle as it seems that you use USF in it but talk in your post of having little knowledge of the company and looking at your trailer comment would take pleasure in it's closing. If you work for Yellow i'm perplexed that you would want that action to happen to a fellow brother teamster. Please tell me if I'm mistaken on this or ??????

HiwayHombre- The layover policy is the same at holland reguardless of the conference. The letter being discussed did not state a change in policy but an adherence to the 2-hr call policy in a back door way to push a change for us to get in line with other NMFA represented companies.

the office staff at allentown, pa, was famous for calling drivers in the afternoon or early evening, just to tell the driver "you're going to be held over your 14"just so they wouldn't have to pay the 2hr. penalty.... i'd just say
"thanks for waking me up" and hang up..i think the brain surgeon who ran central dispatch was responsible for this abuse. t251, what do you think?????

I don't think anymore.......I work for UPS:hysterical:

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS

JAMES P. HOFFA
General President

25 Louisiana Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001

C, THOMAS KEEGEL General Secretary-Treasurer

202-624-6800 International Brotherhood of Teamsters

MEMORANDUM

TO: ALL NATIONAL MASTER FREIGHT LOCAL UNIONS

FROM: Tyson Jonnson, International Vice President & Director, National Freight Division

DATE: March 13,2007

RE: USF HOLLAND LAYOVER PROCEDURE

USF Holland has made changes to their layover procedure without the consent of the National freight Division, Any Local Union who has not met with and agreed to the changes to the layover procedures should file grievances immediately for all drivers who have lost wages, benefits, etc.
These grievances should be filed under Article 6 of the NMFA.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Should you have questions or need further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact the
National Freight Division at 202/624-8722,

TI/dls

cc: Regional freight Coordinators

1 OF 1