TX.A sad case,73 yr.old trucker found dead at rest area.

Sounds like this poor old trucker had nothing in life to live for other than his trucking career,how sad is that

Without any resentment on my part, I would like to know what you mean by this remark? There are plenty of us "senior citizens" still out here trucking. Some do it out of necessity, others do it because it is all they know, and still there are those who still love trucking. Without knowing this person who passed out of time into eternity, I would refrain from making a statement concerning his life.

Personally, I am 73 and still in good health and I run some 3300 miles per week and enjoy it! You want me to sit at home and be a non-productive citizen? God has made us all different(I am glad) and if a person cannot understand another person's lifestyle, it doesn't necessary make it wrong or right. I thank God for my good health at this advanced age and I feel that I am in good health because I stay active and don't sit at home dwelling upon myself as some do.

We all have different paths in life

Without any resentment on my part, I would like to know what you mean by this remark? There are plenty of us "senior citizens" still out here trucking. Some do it out of necessity, others do it because it is all they know, and still there are those who still love trucking. Without knowing this person who passed out of time into eternity, I would refrain from making a statement concerning his life.

Personally, I am 73 and still in good health and I run some 3300 miles per week and enjoy it! You want me to sit at home and be a non-productive citizen? God has made us all different(I am glad) and if a person cannot understand another person's lifestyle, it doesn't necessary make it wrong or right. I thank God for my good health at this advanced age and I feel that I am in good health because I stay active and don't sit at home dwelling upon myself as some do.

I agree . Not everyone is suited for a fishing pole and a rocking chair after 65. Perhaps had he retired he would have died at home like so many drivers do once they hang up the keys and soon after they "retire". RIP, brother trucker.

Gee wiz you guys give me a break!
When I read this news report it said he was in his truck a few days before someone noticed him.
That said to me nobody was looking for him,in other words he didn't seem like he was missed by anyone?

So this is how I looked at it,that all he had was trucking.

You know for all of the crashes I search out,and post on this forum I'm far from being a heartless jerk.

I feel bad for everyone who for various reaons have been involved in these crashes.
As well as this poor older trucker who was dead for sometime,before someone noticed him.

Talk about quick to judge,I think you guys are getting on me before you knew where I was coming from yourselves.

"Take,care,be safe,and rested as well as always stay focused on what your doing at all times.
Thanks for your responces,I forgive you for jumpping all over me,Apostolic"

I know the location that this trucker was found at - there are no phones or anything - it's a picnic area. A stopping place for when you may have too many hours on your logs perhaps guys and gals?
That he and his truck were there SEVERAL days tells me as well that no one put out a notice that he was missing.
I sent that link to Apo and noted that it was a lonely place to die - alone.
NOT what you guys said. I felt deeply saddened about his death and that it took a stranger to realize that truck had been there without moving and calling 911 to report it.
Shame on all of you for slamming Apo and jumping to the conclusion that he was dissing older drivers! He's retired remember? He works here now VOLUNTEERING - helping you all with this information and sharing this stuff.
You owe Apo an apology - jump me for sending him the link in the first place and sharing that it was SAD no one cared enough for this 73-year-old driver to inquire about where he might be.
TrnDancer

You owe Apo an apology -

Your opinion and I certainly respect it, but I owe no one an apology, in my opinion. Sure, it was a shame that no one cared enough about this driver to miss him, but that could be said of someone 40 years younger than this 73 year old. We are all aware of drivers who have no family, no love ones, and the truck is their life and home, be if they are 25 years old or 75. Just where does the age of the driver enter into this picture?

I shall put the answer to your query here in quotes - it's from the FIRST paragraph of the news story ok?

"Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputies are investigating the death of a 73-year-old truck driver."

That's where the age of the driver came into the picture. So peace on this NoGood - ok?

Now me personally - I would rather see an older driver behind the wheel. And before the younger set decides to make me a bashing stick - understand one thing: I drive the interstate EVERY DAY in a different KIND of truck and I know what 4-wheelers do and I see a lot of the much younger 18-wheeler drivers do their best to make it clear they feel they "own the road" - it's a no-win situation on either side when that happens and goes wrong.

Everyone with ANY sense knows that the only other "big rig" out there that's gonna win a fight with an 18-wheeler is a....train.

Drive safe ya'll - I'm out there too. :)

Well I certainly agree with your assessment of the no win situation. Over the years, I have seen the 4-wheelers become more brazen. There was a time when 4-wheelers "feared"(respected) big trucks, but no more. I compare this to wild animals losing their fear of humans, because us, humans, have moved into the animals habitat and they have become accustomed to us and have lost their fear. The same could be said about the 4-wheelers. There are so many trucks out on the roads today and the 4-wheelers view us as just another vehicle, they do not realize that "they lose" no matter who wins, the 4-wheeler loses.

In my opinion, the 4-wheelers will actually challenge a big truck. Unbelievable!!!! When I started my professional driving career many, many years ago, cars actually stayed away as far as they could from trucks. Not that way today.

American Car Drivers: Fruits and Nuts.

Well I certainly agree with your assessment of the no win situation. Over the years, I have seen the 4-wheelers become more brazen. There was a time when 4-wheelers "feared"(respected) big trucks, but no more. I compare this to wild animals losing their fear of humans, because us, humans, have moved into the animals habitat and they have become accustomed to us and have lost their fear. The same could be said about the 4-wheelers. There are so many trucks out on the roads today and the 4-wheelers view us as just another vehicle, they do not realize that "they lose" no matter who wins, the 4-wheeler loses.

In my opinion, the 4-wheelers will actually challenge a big truck. Unbelievable!!!! When I started my professional driving career many, many years ago, cars actually stayed away as far as they could from trucks. Not that way today.

You guys are right, some of these four-wheelers have no respect for anyone including us and they are always in a hurry it seems.

As I have pointed out before, anytime there is a truck vs. car/pickup collision, the car driver needs to be **** tested too. I can assure you many car drivers would fail the test.

Why do they get a break on drug testing and we dont?

Your opinion and I certainly respect it, but I owe no one an apology, in my opinion. Sure, it was a shame that no one cared enough about this driver to miss him, but that could be said of someone 40 years younger than this 73 year old. We are all aware of drivers who have no family, no love ones, and the truck is their life and home, be if they are 25 years old or 75. Just where does the age of the driver enter into this picture?

I have to go with you on this one . The driver could have been a real loner or someone that couldnt or wouldn't get along with people, therefor had no one to care about them.

Question:How many of us have worked with jerks we couldn't stand becuase they were @$$h_les? Someone who if we never saw them again, we wouldn't miss them?

Does it matter if they are 21 or 73? I guess we will never know what kind of person this drivers was, to be sure, but I am thankful that he didn't hurt anyone with his rig before he passed on.

I shall put the answer to your query here in quotes - it's from the FIRST paragraph of the news story ok?

"Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputies are investigating the death of a 73-year-old truck driver."

That's where the age of the driver came into the picture. So peace on this NoGood - ok?

Now me personally - I would rather see an older driver behind the wheel. And before the younger set decides to make me a bashing stick - understand one thing: I drive the interstate EVERY DAY in a different KIND of truck and I know what 4-wheelers do and I see a lot of the much younger 18-wheeler drivers do their best to make it clear they feel they "own the road" - it's a no-win situation on either side when that happens and goes wrong.

Everyone with ANY sense knows that the only other "big rig" out there that's gonna win a fight with an 18-wheeler is a....train.

An M-1 Abrams tank could be a big problem :biglaugh: