ABF | U-Pack Mobile Container Bid

harleydad75

TB Lurker
Credits
Does any of you other ABFers know if your terminal has a Mobile Container Bid or is it like at 051 where they use a man off of the dock(usually me) but won't put up a bid for anyone to cross over to take? We have plenty of enough work be it mobile containers or the trailer U-packs but management refuses to give us the job. Just curious.:chairshot: :nutkick:
Harleydad75

Harleydad75 said:
Does any of you other ABFers know if your terminal has a Mobile Container Bid or is it like at 051 where they use a man off of the dock(usually me) but won't put up a bid for anyone to cross over to take? We have plenty of enough work be it mobile containers or the trailer U-packs but management refuses to give us the job. Just curious.:chairshot: :nutkick:
Harleydad75
352 is a combo barn. We use whoever is available off of any shift, depending on scheduled delivery or pickup time.

At 047-pvd We Don't Have Any Dock Bids. Anyone That Is Available Does The Upmc's. All List Men Are Combo As Well.

here at 219 , LI NY we're all combo also and no specific bid is posted for upacks and "relo cubes"
anyone can be utilized provided they are trained for the "relo cube" type delivery

jellybean said:
At 047-pvd We Don't Have Any Dock Bids. Anyone That Is Available Does The Upmc's. All List Men Are Combo As Well.

no dock bids /
how many guys at your terminal?

we have a 50 man list and approx 15 dock bids
inbound/outbound/pse

At 051-WNS we have:
55 dock bids
23 yard bids
21 P+D bids
1 PSE bid
95 Road Bids

But they use 5-8 men extra in the city everyday but refuse to put up city crossover bids so some of us qualified dock or yard men can cross over to P+D. Typical management.:police:

I think you guys need to learn to be more flexible for the good of the company. Or ABF could end up like PIE and the rest of the union carriers.
Not trying to be mean spirited just looking back.

As long as it is kept clearly in mind by ALL parties concerned that "flexible" and "doormat" DO NOT mean the same thing. Who in the hell wants to do a 9 hr linehaul only to be told when you get back that you have to go do city work for 6 or 7 more hours.

Skeeter said:
I think you guys need to learn to be more flexible for the good of the company. Or ABF could end up like PIE and the rest of the union carriers.
Not trying to be mean spirited just looking back.

pie,preston and the like went out of business because of poor management

deregulation forced companies to become more efficient or fall by the wayside

companies like yellow, roadway and abf survived due to decent managerial efficiency
the union rules governing our workday made them be efficient in everyday workday descisions

our companies are just as profitable, maybe not as profitable as conway but profitable just the same
the difference in the profit margins is due to our "sharing" in those profits (benefits)

your company. formely overnite. had all the flexibility in the world and still in spite of that was only marginally profitable. why?
stupid managers making stupid descisions
they would rather spend millions fighting your possibly going union than give it to you, the worker:wounded1:

Sling Blade said:
As long as it is kept clearly in mind by ALL parties concerned that "flexible" and "doormat" DO NOT mean the same thing. Who in the hell wants to do a 9 hr linehaul only to be told when you get back that you have to go do city work for 6 or 7 more hours.

tell me where the drivers do what you describe and osha and the dot will be on them like flys on :shit:ttttttttttttttt:police: :sleep: :poster_oops:

On linehaul we spend ALL our time driving. If i worked the dock then it would just take longer for me to have my 10 hours off and they wouldn't have me to run linehaul. I burn all my 70 hrs on the road not F*&$ing around on the dock. I have never touched any freight at ABF.

SKEETER they have premuim employ's at some of there terminals and are getting ready for a Change of Operation to add more premuim employ's to give them what you call flexiblity.

But what they are asking about in this thread is a bid on the u-pack. If they do it every day the driver wants to know why it is not on a bid and asking other terminals if they bid it!!

hey skeeter don't you think that is why u needa union to at least establish some sort of work rules at the very least for linehaul

our premium service change has occurred
not a bad deal right now
we are subject to the 60 hours in 7 day rule without the 34 hour restart
pse guys have been getting 58 -59 hours/week
we are paid hourly with a mileage option that kicks in if mileage pays better
we return to our home terminals everyday, no bed time
pse guys do their own drop and hooks whereever they are
pse guys exchange freight at a common terminal
the dock work is minimal and only involves premium freight
we do not handle "core" freight meaning if i go to a foriegn terminal i do not handle any freight not part of this plan
pse freight is next day and expedited from 3 day lanes to 2 day lane
the way it is set up at upsf they can have you do whatever where ever which could concievably affect adversely your company brothers meaning if they could use you and other line haul guys on the dock to not work let's say a few dock workers they can
in our world they cannot
the problem is that you guys don't know any better and subject yourselves to that type of "abuse"

What I call work you teamsters call abuse. Maybe thats why hundreds of union jobs are gone. Ever stop to think about that.

I haven't had to work the dock but I have before. You right it is real hard work sitting on that forklift.

Skeeter said:
What I call work you teamsters call abuse. Maybe thats why hundreds of union jobs are gone. Ever stop to think about that.

I haven't had to work the dock but I have before. You right it is real hard work sitting on that forklift.

:poster_oops: i should have realized who i was talking to!!!!!!!!!!!!!: :Violin: :Rulz: :TR10driving03:

i thought this was a abf forum skeeter

i guess you just want to see how the better half lives/works or better yet gets abused:shock:
or could it be you are just a little envious:realmad: :ranting:

working and the union .

Some of us UNION people work .
Today I had 135 stops ,although I drive a package car for DHL that was some kind of day !!!
No Ac either .That's almost 40 more than normal ..

Skeeter said:

Now you are just being sarcastic !!! If you had said "some Teamsters" then you might have a point.

Before you comment on ABF Teamsters go and read the PSE agreement between ABF & the IBT

But what do you call work ? Anytime I see your name I automaticly assume that it is going to be an anti union post.

Anytime I see your name I automaticly assume that it is going to be an anti union post.
You are so correct and the last time I looked this was a union forum.
Skeeter you are welcome to add to the discussion but not to antagonize ABF employees with your anti-union comments. This is a violation of rule #6.