ABF | Ue going to 5 days?

Well,....it's all speculation right now. I do think the company threw out kind of a broad proposal just to see what kind of reaction they get from us.

Here at 310, we are an HVXP exchange point.....and I think the biggest change we'll see is that the UE guys will now be building trailers for outbound on Thursdays so that linehaul can move the Freight quicker....... no-brainer ...and they should've done that years ago.

I don't see any change on our UE run.......he's already working 12-13 hours a day......adding another 12 hour day is really pushing the envelope as it were.......but, as some guys were saying........ Lookit the money you could make!.........Yeah,.....you could finally afford that solid gold casket you got your eye on,.......so you can really go in style when they work you to death.......

Speculation once again,.......but I think end-of-line terminals with shorter UE runs are the only ones who will see an expansion of miles/hours..........And remember,......since all this is....."new business".......no Change Of Operations needed.......Pretty slick...
Our 2 Carlisle runs going to 5 days the other run to Newberg Ny then up to orange Ct & back to 184 that is staying 4. I don't understand the fifth day the freight is going to sit until Monday....

Sounds like a bunch of guys that don't want to do any work, don't get me wrong I know plenty of guys like that, especially older fella's that just want the insurance. But it really sounds like a bunch of guys on here bitching because they are going to have to work. I am guessing they are a lot of the same ABF drivers I bitch about on the south side of Chicago because they are driving so slow that people are constantly slamming on the brakes from running into the back end of their trucks. Sorry I know your not suppose to bitch about fellow Teamster brothers but I call it the way I see it and if that rubs some guys the wrong way, well so be it. My point is that I never hear the non union guys bitching about working too many hours or too hard if anything they bitch about not enough work and not enough hours. IMO
Go read their forums they have the same issues as any other driver. You don't really think all is perfect with the non Union drivers. I hear them bitching all the time at stops.

Our 2 Carlisle runs going to 5 days the other run to Newberg Ny then up to orange Ct & back to 184 that is staying 4. I don't understand the fifth day the freight is going to sit until Monday....
Does it sit now? I would think they would move it the same way they do now. Either that or run it to Carlisle with the UEs that run Friday night. I can't imagine they would let it sit at your terminal until Monday night.

Does it sit now? I would think they would move it the same way they do now. Either that or run it to Carlisle with the UEs that run Friday night. I can't imagine they would let it sit at your terminal until Monday night.
I'm talking the freight coming back from Carlisle, road always took back The freight p/u on Friday. All they did was take away from the road & make it ue. Our road driver turned ue Who took the transfer is now working 7 days a week to make up the difference . Someone told him that he would be able to work the dock for a few hours after his run, only problem is the call board is coming in on straight time instead of paying him overtime....I'm guessing a lack of communication before the transfer?

Go read their forums they have the same issues as any other driver. You don't really think all is perfect with the non Union drivers. I hear them bitching all the time at stops.

They bitch because they can't grieve. I'll bet they don't bitch in the office.

I'm talking the freight coming back from Carlisle, road always took back The freight p/u on Friday. All they did was take away from the road & make it ue. Our road driver turned ue Who took the transfer is now working 7 days a week to make up the difference . Someone told him that he would be able to work the dock for a few hours after his run, only problem is the call board is coming in on straight time instead of paying him overtime....I'm guessing a lack of communication before the transfer?
I don't think they are bringing the freight in to deliver it earlier, seems like all they care about is saving a dime by using UE guys. Unless your UE runs are mileage, then it would seem to be stupid... Of course stupid seems to be the trend lately.

They bitch because they can't grieve. I'll bet they don't bitch in the office.
Truck drivers are a bitchy bunch. No matter what job we do, we're always bitching. Why? Because we're unappreciated. 4 wheelers in a hurry hate us, the companies treat us like mules, customers put up with us, and our families don't wanna hear it.

In light of all of that, what's a driver to do about the feelings of frustration experienced on a daily basis? Complain to someone who hopefully understands...a fellow driver. Sure, some guys bitch louder, more often and with less reason. But we all feel variations of the same way for different reasons

City drivers deal with low pay and pissy customers. Road and linehaul drivers deal with awful hours and traffic. OTR drivers deal with all of those plus using linehaul equipment for making pickups and deliveries. Flatbed and car hauler drivers are frequently subject to extra scrutiny by the DOT. Tanker and aggregate drivers deal with shifting cargo. Livestock drivers deal with that plus the smell.

And then there's the one hate we ALL share... dispatchers.

I don't think they are bringing the freight in to deliver it earlier, seems like all they care about is saving a dime by using UE guys. Unless your UE runs are mileage, then it would seem to be stupid... Of course stupid seems to be the trend lately.
The only UE guys who are paid mileage are those who hopped on way back when it was initially instituted and it was called RPM and stayed in it. They do exist but they are few and far between.

If road drivers sat or had less miles, absolutely a grievance.. My guess is this is optional, not mandatory and due to shortage of drivers in certain terminals.. or stewards and BA's knew nothing.. but, ABF getting their 70 a week doesn't surprise me, all linehaul will be turns and UE type before too long.. next contract if their isone will push for hourly road drivers doing city work. and scared guys will vote for it.
I know this sounds stupid but what does "use" stand for". Thank you

I know this sounds stupid but what does "use" stand for". Thank you

Nothing is "stupid" Brother......the smartest thing is to ask if you don't know.

I'm guessing that you're asking what "UE" means.........and the computer/cell phone spelled "use" for you....( thanks, technology!).....

"UE" is "Utility Employee"........Article 3, Section 7,.........If you're not under the NMFA.....(National Master Freight Agreement).....it spells out a whole series of work rules for a new classification of employees. The main provision is that a UE guy can cross jurisdictions between city and road.

Nothing is "stupid" Brother......the smartest thing is to ask if you don't know.

I'm guessing that you're asking what "UE" means.........and the computer/cell phone spelled "use" for you....( thanks, technology!).....

"UE" is "Utility Employee"........Article 3, Section 7,.........If you're not under the NMFA.....(National Master Freight Agreement).....it spells out a whole series of work rules for a new classification of employees. The main provision is that a UE guy can cross jurisdictions between city and road.
Having done a UE run some years ago, I can tell you from experience that 'crossover' clause, from road-to-city can bite you in the arse sometimes. Nothing sucks more than coming back from a night road run then having to hit the street.

Having done a UE run some years ago, I can tell you from experience that 'crossover' clause, from road-to-city can bite you in the arse sometimes. Nothing sucks more than coming back from a night road run then having to hit the street.
I am surprised that they haven't done that here yet. They have this guy who still has a couple of hours left to burn, they're short handed, I'd give him an easy drop if I was dispatcher. :idunno:

We're hearing at Carlisle the ue's starting 5 days mid aug
Sounds like another way to get line haul work done cheaper.Remember the premium service coo. This is all new freight nothing is coming from line haul. Took about 2 weeks of running with 1 or 2 bills or Mt suddenly the trailers were loaded to the back doors . With line haul freight.

The reason they eliminated Premium Service, Art. 18 Other Services, was because Premium Service tied the man to the Freight.

Under Utility Employee, Art. 3, sec. 7, the employee is separate from the Freight, and Utility freight is anything the employer designates,.......at any time.

An expansion of UE work to more than a 40 hour workweek would be at the expense of the various road operations. You can not create a bid where the work reasonably can't be done within 40 hours . There is no such thing as mandatory overtime,........and anyone who is routinely forced to work 10 hours a day can file a grievance for excessive overtime. Art.5 sec. 6 even provides a schedule for employers to hire in the event of excessive overtime.

And,.......as far as anyone returning from a 10 hour UE run and being asked to peddle freight in the city,......because they have "time"........fatigue and safety ought to figure in very heavily after 10 hours.

The reason they eliminated Premium Service, Art. 18 Other Services, was because Premium Service tied the man to the Freight.

Under Utility Employee, Art. 3, sec. 7, the employee is separate from the Freight, and Utility freight is anything the employer designates,.......at any time.

An expansion of UE work to more than a 40 hour workweek would be at the expense of the various road operations. You can not create a bid where the work reasonably can't be done within 40 hours . There is no such thing as mandatory overtime,........and anyone who is routinely forced to work 10 hours a day can file a grievance for excessive overtime. Art.5 sec. 6 even provides a schedule for employers to hire in the event of excessive overtime.

And,.......as far as anyone returning from a 10 hour UE run and being asked to peddle freight in the city,......because they have "time"........fatigue and safety ought to figure in very heavily after 10 hours.
They can not force a driver that has returned to the terminal back out after the tenth hour.

They can not force a driver that has returned to the terminal back out after the tenth hour.
There have always been enough 'starving' pigs to take the work without having to force anybody. And I would not count on our 'union' to help us out in any way with any grievance, they have already proven that they do not care.

We are our own worst enemy sometimes,.........and, yes.....our employer will take advantage of that.

Grievance panel next week. Company claims it can't get enough....."volunteers".....so they feel they can force from the bottom on ALL holidays,.........in spite of the specific language that allows a force from the bottom from only two specifically named holidays.........Good Friday and Veteran's Day........along with a different pay scale.

Hopefully the local panel can plainly see the language in the contract and ignore the company's arcane and arrogant "interpretation"...........

We are our own worst enemy sometimes,.........and, yes.....our employer will take advantage of that.

Grievance panel next week. Company claims it can't get enough....."volunteers".....so they feel they can force from the bottom on ALL holidays,.........in spite of the specific language that allows a force from the bottom from only two specifically named holidays.........Good Friday and Veteran's Day........along with a different pay scale.

Hopefully the local panel can plainly see the language in the contract and ignore the company's arcane and arrogant "interpretation"...........
Good luck at the hearing and I know that you will let us know how it goes.
Happy Weekend. :guiness:

Do ue drivers get overtime after 8 or 10 hrs or are they straight pay. I assumed they got ot but another road driver said they don't.