Un-affordable Care Act update

Discussion in 'Politics' started by a9faninnc, Apr 15, 2016.

1. pilot87

pilot87 Well-Known Member

They were when it came to "Healthcare reform".......

2. pilot87

I think you are right about the ACA, with all of it's problems, leading to a National single payer system.....

Actually if done right, and I mean right for what works to the citizens best interests rather than the Insurance companies best interests, it would be the most logical solution at this juncture.... in my opinion, of course....

Magoo likes this.
  3. pilot87

When you have millions without healthcare...or adequate care......when you have millions dropped from any insurance they may have had...or are refused coverage due to "pre-existing conditions"...........so on and so forth........ You have a "Market" that only works for the Insurance Companies...not one that actually works for the benefit of all the American people........

"Replace" it with Nothing.....?.... Yep.....that will "Fix" the system...... With "Solutions" like that we can be assured that a National Single payer system will happen at some point......

Magoo likes this.
  4. Starkravinloon

Starkravinloon Hero's Falling At Home

Because there was never anything put in the bill to that stops it.. Obama himself said it would go up, he hid nothing. Of course after it was past before it was read.. If not through an exchange, then where, if your employer just busted you down from full to part-time? Or if your employer isn't under the gun to provide? There's too many people making billions off this thing.. You're not convincing me of anything different.. I provide an out for my employees, is it the best, no, I can't afford the best and I only have 7 employees. But it's a damn site better than what the exchange offers...

I'm not saying we still don't need healthcare reform, we do, but as I said back when this debacle came to past, the government makes money either way it goes, from the fines and taxes they get from insurance companies that sign up these folks, but the balance is not there.. The feds will never recover from covering their own butts over ACA. I sit on the city council here in my hometown. I have poor folks coming up to me at meeting saying they were better off with the old system. Even if we didn't have health insurance, we got better care in the emergency room and post-care... This is the same bill that Hillary tried to get forced down the people's throat when her husband had control of Congress, and even they turned it down.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    jimmy g likes this.
  5. Starkravinloon

Starkravinloon Hero's Falling At Home

I know I'm correct on all three quotes you highlighted.. This ACA is crap and you and I both know it.. This has cost the public so much money and feds so much money, we may never see a way out.. It will have to collapse within to even think about an overhaul...

Northern Flash likes this.
  6. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

7. pilot87

Yes.... I believe I stated that in a previous post... "It happens because there is nothing that stops the Companies from doing that......."

.....Just another example to show that corporations, regardless of product, need to be regulated.......

The exchange is there for those without other options, basically...... I previously stated that the better option is employer provided insurance if you can get it........ I also stated in a previous post..."They (Insurance Companies) are making billions more with all the new customers they've been "gifted"....thanks to the ACA......and they don't really care if it "works" or not for the American people.."

Yes I agree that to many are profiting off the ACA....Especially the Insurance Companies and their Executives..... I'm not trying to "convince" you of anything different....We are basically in agreement on the points in our posts...... perhaps you're misunderstanding my points....

Kudos to you!..... and Yes I agree, again, that the Exchanges are "populated" with junk policies for the most part......

The ER's must treat anyone who comes in......and it is NOT free either.....it cost more for treatment at an ER than if a person had access to regular preventive healthcare at a reasonable cost (Insurance wise)...... Generally speaking, treatment at an ER is very good if you're experiencing an actual medical emergency......(of which many could be prevented had a person had access to affordable healthcare Insurance in the first place.......)

Those that are unable to pay the emergency room care simply don't pay because many can not afford the cost, so that higher charge for emergency care gets added to the cost of doing business....meaning that everyone else pays a higher charge.... So simply using the Emergency room as "regular" healthcare can be very expensive and only adds to the existing problem......

I don't know if it is the exact same thing as Hillary Clinton tried to get passed, but it, along with the current ACA, demonstrate that the only logical solution at this juncture is a National single payer system.......in my opinion... especially considering the amount that the Federal Government is spending on subsidies in behalf of those enrolled in "Obamacare"..... That is money that could be better spent towards direct care for people rather than to profit already very wealthy Insurance Companies in the form of "Premiums"....

Oh...BTW.. Welcome back to Truckingboards!.....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Magoo likes this.
  8. pilot87

Unless of course Texas needs money from the Feds for Disaster relief.......Then they have no problem with being part of the USA....

Magoo likes this.
  9. pilot87

I haven't totally disagreed on that point...... There are good aspects to the ACA which should remain in place, such as not being able to discriminate on the basis of "pre-existing conditions"........Young adults being able to stay on a parents plan till the age of 26, I believe..... there may be a few others, however, I agree there is more wrong with it than right with it.... ... The money it has cost the Feds so far in the form of premium assistance could have been better spent towards the direct care of people rather than to the profits of an already wealthy industry....as I've previously stated...

Magoo likes this.
  10. pilot87

I'm not sure the system will "collapse" in the sense I understand you to mean, however with that being said, it will come to a point that it will be painfully clear to everyone that it is NOT the long term solution.......it will also become clear that the only logical solution in the best interests of the public will be a National single payer system......in my opinion, of course...

Magoo likes this.
  11. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Medicare for all is a good option, you'll have to pay for it or your employer will pay for it but there's no middleman.

pilot87 likes this.
  12. pilot87

That would have been the most logical and easy thing to do......If everyone was paying into medicare, or most people, it would have just as much, if not more money, than the Insurance companies have and with that amount of money available they, medicare, could pay more to to the Doctors than private insurance currently does........ The only "losers" would be the Health Insurance companies instead of the people....That is why the Insurance industry would love to keep it the way it is now.....and why they love it when some people are mistakenly led to believe that a National single payer system would be the "death of America as we know it"....lol..... Putting profits ahead of the general welfare of the Nations citizens isn't sustainable....Corporate greed, or greed in general, just breeds more greed.....a vicious cycle without end....well......it does end in a total system collapse.... Greed and corruption....... I just don't understand how letting Corporations run this country through their system of buying politicians is going to be to the benefit of the rest of us....... Ohhhhh wait a minute.... I almost forgot......they are the "Job creators"......hahaha..what a joke.....

Magoo likes this.
  13. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

Run it like they do in Canada. Pay a tax on every penny you spend dedicated to health insurance that way everybody pays, even those on the gubment dime.

pilot87 and Magoo like this.
  14. Magoo

The Pain You Feel is Capitalism Dying
    https://medium.com/@joe_brewer/the-pain-you-feel-is-capitalism-dying-5cdbe06a936c#.2v5jsbe3y

It can be very confusing to know that you won’t find a decent job, pay off student loans or put in a down payment on a house in the next few years — even though you may have graduated from a top-tier university or secured glowing references from all those unpaid internships that got you to where you are today.

Even if you are lucky enough to have all of this going for you, you’ll still be one among hundreds of applicants for every job you apply for. And you’ll still watch as the world becomes more unequal, with fewer paid opportunities to do what you feel called to do in your work or for your life path.

There will be people who tell you it’s your fault. That you aren’t trying hard enough. But those people are culprits in perpetuating a great lie of this period in history. The standard assumptions for how to be successful in life a few decades ago simply do not apply anymore. The guilt and shame you feel is the mental disease of late-stage capitalism. Embrace this truth and set yourself free.

15. Magoo

I have no problem learning from others, look at all of them and pick out the best

pilot87 and ABFer like this.
  16. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

They would already have the the money if the federal government didn't confiscate so much of it. Where do people think disaster relief money comes from anyway?

17. pilot87

Ok....if that's your logic then what your saying is that it would be best to disolve the "United States" as we are now...in favor of each present state becoming a sovereign nation of their own......after all, if it's better for Texas, then it should be better for the rest of the states as well........ Each to their own....

18. pilot87

I think we could manage a Single payer Universal Healthcare system better than the Canadian system.... We have the advantage, as well as the ability, to observe what the other countries are doing and combine the best of each and mitigate the downsides.......
    Expanding an improved medicare for all would be the easiest starting point....

ABFer likes this.
  19. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

yet people are still using ER's for routine medicine

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20150117/NEWS/301169969

Doctors don't want to deal to deal with the govt, cannot afford to wait long times for payment and wants to jump through all the hoops the govt requires

What is missed in this argument is why was health insurance so expensive in the first place?
    it was limited providers in areas and mandates placed on policies by govt
    Govt created the problem in the first place, then govt showed up with the "solution" Barry Care, which is not working, so people are looking at govt for another solution, guess what that wont work either

20. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

I disagree here and I get pummeled a lot for my thoughts so I'm ready. One of the biggest problems is the value we place on life...any life, every life, all lives. Who the hell puts a new hip in a 90 year old? Who the hell resuscitates a 90 year old with multiple heart and other health issues when they cease in the OR? Who the hell drags out the inevitable death of a terminally ill patient for $200,000? Who the hell gives a $10,000+ helicopter ride to a patient with a broken arm? They don't even call out the ambulances anymore if the weather is suitable for flight. Furthermore, those choppers do not take the patient to the nearest hospital either, they go 20+ miles with the patient on board. Why? Has anyone ever given any thought to that price tag of extending life by one year? Look at that one once then divide that number by $1000 and the resultant will be the number of months worth of health insurance that went to that specific incident. i e $200,000 to keep a terminally ill patient alive for a year. $200,000/$1000=200 months worth of premiums just for that single incident. That comes to 16.6 years of insurance premiums just for that. Who's supposed to pay for that? I have a DNR and wish I could opt out of the chopper ride for a lower insurance premium. Stick my fat ass in a Cadillac wagon with a cherry on top and wish me luck. Hey, I'm older, if I die I die, let me go.

Oh, and in closing, who the hell rushes a fatally wounded armed robber to the ER after they get shot while "at work"? :soapbox:

Big Dave, Magoo and kboomarang like this.