FedEx Freight | Unfair Raise

And what exactly would that help? Hows Yellow doing? My brother is a feeder driver for UPS and got out of the union due to all the lies, and dues.....He still receives all the benefits of the union, but hates it. Says the tension between management and drivers is horrible. Again, if you are not happy with FedEx, leave and find another job that makes you happy. Why stay if your not happy? I am sure with all your talent, you will have no problem finding a job with great benefits, making 80,000 a year, 8 weeks vacation....Would that make you happy? doubtful. Maybe with your skill you could find a job making 100,000 a year...2 months vacation....Good luck. Dont let the door hit you in the assssssss. Times are tough, every time you quit and move to another job, you risk getting laid off, going to the bottom of another board. But again, I am sure with your talent and driving skill...arent you a 2 time National Champion....you will find many jobs that pay what FedEx pays, and with more security then FedEx...Go quick, leave.

their union dues are alot less than our insurance, and their insurance is free, i worked for a union company the moral was a hell of alot better than here, none of this rule changing all the time, its like here im going to day care everyday they treat us like kids.

All I am saying is, hey lets make money again first, before we criticize the current FedEx. Just like before, if we didnt have a great OR we didnt get a bonus under Viking or West either. So lets put a few good years together and see what it comes to. Thats all I am saying. I started with Viking in 1990, so I saw lots of change. Not all good. Change is always going to happen. When the economy is great, everything loosens up. When companies are struggling, everybody tightens their belts. Not many have loosened them up yet. Let time pass and we will talk about bonuses and raises again and see what happens. 96+ OR isnt great. Under 95 will pay a good bonus. So lets wait and see before we start getting criticle of FedEx.

Pie in the sky, brother Crue. When we were AF, the raises ALWAYS beat inflation, even if by just a little. This meant we actually got raises. When profitability was high they DID share that. Every time.

Fast forward to FedEx rule. Raises immediately got smaller, despite record increases in profitability. We would hear constant cheering about the increase in market share, efficiency, etc... Until, (this is the sad part) raise time, when we would watch the raise video and hear the sob stories about uncertainty in the market, other companies struggling, etc.

The point you need to understand is, no matter what the profit level, or how productive we are, you will never again be compensated based on performance. You will be paid based on what the market will bear, period. Based on internal data and formulas used to calculate employee retention levels. Also a factor is the threat of union intrusion. When the threat is high, compensation/work environment improves. Not saying I want union (I don't), just stating the effect.

You'll likely reply that the bonus will pay you for high performance. We were told that when it started, to justify the lower raise back then. Truth is the levels needed to qualify for the bonus can and have been adjusted, just like every goal set. The payout is always mostly beyond our control. If you ever get a maximum payout, it will only happen once.

Please don't change the subject and tell me how some people don't have jobs, only have part time, don't get free uniforms, etc. That argument doesn't apply to your theory of "wait and see".

Just a reality check. We'll check back in a couple years and compare actual events as they relate to your theories. I actually hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot one thing Swamp, we also either didnt pay for insurance or paid next to nothing. I would like to see a line graph with wages and insurance costs side by side. I wish I had some really old check stubs to jog my memory.

So because I compete and win at the TDC (dog and pony show) somehow thats a bad thing? Wow, I do it because I enjoy competition, and to see how good I can do, and I enjoy the money and trip they give for winning. You get treated like royality when you go to Nationals. Try it before you knock it. I love the "what can you do for me" attitude. Its all about you! I know.

This is SHOCKING! I have to agree with you on this post. On this, you are correct.

It's not easy to make it to the nationals. Even more challenging to win there. Good stuff. You earned that. You have to take the initiative, make the effort and for that, YES! FedEx does take care of you. For that, they do deserve high praise.

Yes! I love the whole principal of the TDC, see how close you can come to hitting something without hitting it. The closer you come to hitting it, the more points you get; do you really want me to drive that way on the highway when your wife and kids are in your minivan??? Here's practice...ooooppps, your wife and kids are upside down in a ditch. TDC has nothing to do with skill...it's all luck. Been there, seen too many so called drivers who were the most dangerous kiss butts in the world win.

ST

Easy there... All luck? No skill? Just stumble into it huh? :6792:

You might get lucky at state level... Once, maybe. To do well in Nationals takes determination, study, vehicle pretrip skill, industry/regulation knowledge and precision vehicle placement. Not always a "closer is better" score.

And first you have to remain accident free (NOT just preventable either), and that does change how you drive and the risks you take.

The "any accident" area (preventable or not) is the only place that LUCK can play a part.

There is a reason FedEx puts a lot into the competition. Bragging rights, yeah, but there is also a huge return on investment in terms of safe driving.. Believe me, like everything, they run the numbers

OK, lets get back on topic... I can't make a habit of agreeing with or defending Crue.

Oh boy what Rat? Please...do tell, I really want to hear your problem with Jeff and my post, or the quote to his post I made, step up Bro...lets hear it.

BTW, we are still waiting for your response on the Conway forum, get your ass over there and give an answer!

I have no probs with either post...

I have suffered the same fate as yourself.

This is tuff biz we are in...and relationships suffer to a great extent.

My "Oh Boy" post was an attempt to commiserate.

I haven't paid much attention to the Con-Way forum as of late...what response is needed? I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks so I am a bit out of touch.

Rat

I'll be starting with FXF in a little over a week. I guess I better get my bitchin practice in to fit in around here..........

In all seriousness, I am sure like every company, FXF will have good and bad with it. But the fact is that there are no driving jobs around here that will pay what I can earn at FXF, nothing. Will I have to do dockwork? Sure. Work nights? Yep. But the fact still remains there is not a job I can get in the trucking industry based in my area that will get me home everyday that can match the pay and benefits I will be getting.

Maybe I am lucky to be at a smaller (but growing) terminal that doesn't have the same issues that the larger hubs have, IDK since I don't have firsthand experience with why so many are unhappy..........

If that makes me naive, then so be it, but I'm feeling pretty lucky to get the job I did...............

You will be fine. and you are correct, jobs that pay 20+ an hour are hard to come by. My center is very busy, and drivers get a lot of overtime here. Like I have said in many posts before, its what you make it. If you are a moaner/complainer/negative type employee, then you will find things to complain about. Like I said misery loves company, so those few unhappy employees usually speak the loudest. Stay clear of them and do your job, put your time in and go home and enjoy your off time. Congrats on getting on, you will like it.

Pie in the sky, brother Crue. When we were AF, the raises ALWAYS beat inflation, even if by just a little. This meant we actually got raises. When profitability was high they DID share that. Every time.

Fast forward to FedEx rule. Raises immediately got smaller, despite record increases in profitability. We would hear constant cheering about the increase in market share, efficiency, etc... Until, (this is the sad part) raise time, when we would watch the raise video and hear the sob stories about uncertainty in the market, other companies struggling, etc.

The point you need to understand is, no matter what the profit level, or how productive we are, you will never again be compensated based on performance. You will be paid based on what the market will bear, period. Based on internal data and formulas used to calculate employee retention levels. Also a factor is the threat of union intrusion. When the threat is high, compensation/work environment improves. Not saying I want union (I don't), just stating the effect.

You'll likely reply that the bonus will pay you for high performance. We were told that when it started, to justify the lower raise back then. Truth is the levels needed to qualify for the bonus can and have been adjusted, just like every goal set. The payout is always mostly beyond our control. If you ever get a maximum payout, it will only happen once.

Please don't change the subject and tell me how some people don't have jobs, only have part time, don't get free uniforms, etc. That argument doesn't apply to your theory of "wait and see".

Just a reality check. We'll check back in a couple years and compare actual events as they relate to your theories. I actually hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Swamp Rat, how much pay is enough for you? What pay will make you happy? I dont get it. Im at 23.85 an hour which is just about tops in the industry in my area. I am OK with this amount. With Overtime I am at 35+ an hour. I work 8 to 10 hours overtime a week, so 1300+ a week to do P&D 5 days a week, home every night and weekends alway off. Not too shabby for me. I can do road runs on weekend if I so wanted. At what point will you be happy with your wage? Tell me. FedEx Freight hasnt made a profit until this year for 4 years. They will up our wages if we continue to make money. Give them a year or so and lets talk again. We drive good equipment (at least at my center) and its not rocket science we are performing. There is plenty of drivers who would love our job. I dont know if your a road driver or city, but this isnt a bad gig. Could the insurance be better? yes, but its still not bad when you compare it to other industries and other companies. I am good at my job, and enjoy my job, and I take changes in stride. I am paid by the hour, so if I need to double check my paperwork before turning it in I do. No big deal. But 60,000+ to do my job is very fair, I dont have a college degree, so I cant expect to be paid like a doctor. 4 weeks vacation, personal time, discounts on my cell phone, on the car I just bought, 3.5 match on 6 percent 401K, portable pension that I can control.

Swamp Rat, how much pay is enough for you? What pay will make you happy? I dont get it. Im at 23.85 an hour which is just about tops in the industry in my area. I am OK with this amount.

I'm at 22.65/city with the recent less than cost of living raise. The only problem (problems) I have are the smoke and mirrors way of manipulating the pay and benefits. We get a raise in June, they take part back in Jan. with higher insurance cost. They take away the profit sharing aspect of the 401k and put the same exact money into a pension plan and tell me that FedEx fully funds it. Yes, they fund it with money they used to put in my 401k. They create a bonus program in lieu of a reasonable raise, that provides incentive to reduce claims, increase safety, profitability etc, then they change the parameters needed to qualify, or they pay down debt or take a charge against current year earnings which make us ineligible for bonus.

All of the above while expecting more, cutting management pay etc. I just want honesty and fairness. I don't want to make less (adjusted for inflation) than I made last year while working harder, while other comparable (and less efficient) centers get more reasonable compensation increases. Centers that used to be on the same scale are now on a higher scale.

It's the manipulation that I don't like. Give on one hand, take back on the other. If I'm not getting a raise, fine. Be honest enough to state it.

Other than that, I love my job! Really :kicking:

Verizon is 22% off the primary line per month and 25% off accessories.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have AT&T one smart phone with 2gb and one dumb phone. I have a 500 min per mo plan that gets an additional 200 min for free. I pay $75 per month.

SwampRatt said:
I'm at 22.65/city with the recent less than cost of living raise. The only problem (problems) I have are the smoke and mirrors way of manipulating the pay and benefits. We get a raise in June, they take part back in Jan. with higher insurance cost. They take away the profit sharing aspect of the 401k and put the same exact money into a pension plan and tell me that FedEx fully funds it. Yes, they fund it with money they used to put in my 401k. They create a bonus program in lieu of a reasonable raise, that provides incentive to reduce claims, increase safety, profitability etc, then they change the parameters needed to qualify, or they pay down debt or take a charge against current year earnings which make us ineligible for bonus.

All of the above while expecting more, cutting management pay etc. I just want honesty and fairness. I don't want to make less (adjusted for inflation) than I made last year while working harder, while other comparable (and less efficient) centers get more reasonable compensation increases. Centers that used to be on the same scale are now on a higher scale.

It's the manipulation that I don't like. Give on one hand, take back on the other. If I'm not getting a raise, fine. Be honest enough to state it.

Other than that, I love my job! Really :kicking:

That gimmick they pulled with pulling money from the 401k and putting in thay pension costs us more then the actual percentage. That pension doesnt reap nearly the return on investment the 401 does. Thats a ton of money off the table