FedEx Freight | Unfair Raise

Maybe not the problem you describe, but there would be problems. I suggest you pretend you lost your job at fedex and go on craigslist or some other site where you would look for employment and take a look at what is out there. I do this every other day and it reminds me how thankful I am to have my job.

Ya no ****! I have only been at freight 2 years.....I still know what it is like to have an actual truck driving job.

Completely clueless!!!

WOW!!!!

I can tell from your post you have NEVER been to a TDC competition or you wouldn't have made such an ass of yourself publicly.

Rat

Rat, I've been to TDC's many times. They have nothing to do with driving in the real world as a road driver. And the 7 minutes we're allowed to pre-trip a set of doubles???? Really??? can you safely pre-trip a set in 7 minutes? That explains alot, you're not actually a driver are you? REDSHIRT Alert!

ST

ST I'm on Rats side. It dont seem you understand what the TDC is. I'm not gonna explain it either. I'm tired

We currently only have about 7 min. to pre-trip a set of doubles now. 30 min. from "start" time to "gate" time. So by the time you go over your paperwork, get back out to your truck, hook, pre-trip , and dispatch out, you're over the 7 min mark.

I take my time, do my pre-trip, the same way every time . (I'm not saying I don't miss stuff because I do) and do my paperwork , and now the new hand held, I'm getting better, and its getting quicker. If it takes me 20 min or 40 min to get hooked up pre-trip and papers, thats what it takes.

Drivers look at your stuff!

ST I'm on Rats side. It dont seem you understand what the TDC is. I'm not gonna explain it either. I'm tired

Matt, it's a contest where you drive around a parking lot trying to see how close you can come to hitting something. I don't do parking lots, and I don't get close to things....I'm paid to stay away from objects....

ST

The rules currently allow 10 min for twins. 7min (I think) for 3 axle.

Enough about that, back on topic... With earnings growth expected to slow per Corp. press release, what might that mean for our earnings? My realistic prediction? It will have NO EFFECT what so ever. they are 2 completely separate issues.

You heard it here first!

I'm at 22.65/city with the recent less than cost of living raise. The only problem (problems) I have are the smoke and mirrors way of manipulating the pay and benefits. We get a raise in June, they take part back in Jan. with higher insurance cost. They take away the profit sharing aspect of the 401k and put the same exact money into a pension plan and tell me that FedEx fully funds it. Yes, they fund it with money they used to put in my 401k. They create a bonus program in lieu of a reasonable raise, that provides incentive to reduce claims, increase safety, profitability etc, then they change the parameters needed to qualify, or they pay down debt or take a charge against current year earnings which make us ineligible for bonus.

All of the above while expecting more, cutting management pay etc. I just want honesty and fairness. I don't want to make less (adjusted for inflation) than I made last year while working harder, while other comparable (and less efficient) centers get more reasonable compensation increases. Centers that used to be on the same scale are now on a higher scale.

It's the manipulation that I don't like. Give on one hand, take back on the other. If I'm not getting a raise, fine. Be honest enough to state it.

Other than that, I love my job! Really :kicking:

Ok, I have one other question for ya, again just wondering, where does it say that you get a raise every year when you get hired? They tell you this is your starting wage, then show you what top of scale is. I dont remember anywhere that is says you will get a raise every year. We have had several where we didnt get a raise. Now I know many a companies that dont give raises every year. Yes we have received raises in the past almost every year, but it says no where we are guarenteed a raise. Just sayin. Now do I think you should have recieved the same as everybody else? Yes, I dont think some should only get .30 cents and others .50 cents or more. I agree that sucks for you. But it is what it is. It is a raise, and hopefully next year its closer to .75 cents. Again, if we start making money each quarter, I think next year we will get a much better raise. But they are not automatic. I hope you keep positive, and lets see what happens next year. Glad you do enjoy your job at least. It will get better Rat.

Matt, it's a contest where you drive around a parking lot trying to see how close you can come to hitting something. I don't do parking lots, and I don't get close to things....I'm paid to stay away from objects....

ST

You miss the whole point of this. It recognizes drivers for being accident free first and for most. Then it tests your knowledge about the trucking industry, It tests your skill at performing a pretrip and also how good your routine is. Then the last part lets you see how well you drive on an obstacle course. Let me tell you it is not easy to win one of these. It does take skill, and lets you see how well you can control your track/trailer in tight areas. You wont believe how nervous you can get doing something you drive every day. And last, its fun to be able to compete, once you get a certain age, their isnt much you can compete at that pays you well, and then rewards you with a great trip for you and your wife, with spending money, 5 star hotel, diner cruises, unlimited alcohol, and you have a Designated driver every night. Its just fun to see how you stack up against others. Just because you dont wish to challenge yourself, you shouldnt knock it. Believe me, the guys who win this at Nationals are great drivers, and usually go on to be Americas Road team captains. Its not for everybody, but I really enjoy it. You make a lot of great friends from all across the nation.

Richard Cranium said:
It's a PR event for Fred and the other suits. Period.

Yep,just like searching for Amelia Earhart and having a Nascar team. But you sir,need to tighten your belt because we arent profitable enough!

It's a PR event for Fred and the other suits. Period.

Correction: It's a PR event for Fred and the other suits, COMMA, And it's a highly successful safety program that tests a driver on a number of things including precision vehicle placement, which does improve your driving ability.

As with most challenging things, those that don't do well like to blame it on other factors, like luck. Comments like it's not like real driving, I don't do parking lots, it's just a PR/dog and pony show, etc.

I guess if the competition was focused on safely maneuvering an exit ramp, changing lanes without hitting something, picking the lane with the best traffic flow, looking for an easy pull through to drop a trailer, using more lanes than needed to make a turn, etc. then it would be more like real life? More challenging? Then the detractors might be willing to compete?

Rat, I've been to TDC's many times. They have nothing to do with driving in the real world as a road driver. And the 7 minutes we're allowed to pre-trip a set of doubles???? Really??? can you safely pre-trip a set in 7 minutes? That explains alot, you're not actually a driver are you? REDSHIRT Alert!

ST

My best pre-trip time at the last TDC I attended was 6:42. If you are unable to perform this function in under the allotted then perhaps a re-evaluation of the procedure is called for.

In the competition, you are allotted a certain amount of time to find and VERBALLY ANNOUNCE a defect as predetermined by the judges. You may find other defects...but they don't count. The vehicle has been set up with certain defects that when discovered will count toward your final score. Any defect not on the list doesn't count.

There is certain procedure recommended...and as far as my experience goes...it is the best. The TDC judges not only look for your ability to find said defects...they also evaluate your technique.

This is especially true at the Nationals. That is why it is critically important to do your pre-trip the same way each and every time.

I practice for the TDC competition with every pre and post trip inspection I perform.

I have heard this asinine argument before..."the TDC has nothing to do with the real world"...when in fact it has everything to do with the real world of trucking.

The skills and knowledge required to successfully compete in the TDC are the very things we use every day...and these are condensed into a very small window of opportunity in the competition.

It boils down to this...you either know your business or you don't. Those that make to the Nationals are experts...and those who win the Nationals are the Masters of their trade.

Any questions???

Rat

My best pre-trip time at the last TDC I attended was 6:42. If you are unable to perform this function in under the allotted then perhaps a re-evaluation of the procedure is called for.

In the competition, you are allotted a certain amount of time to find and VERBALLY ANNOUNCE a defect as predetermined by the judges. You may find other defects...but they don't count. The vehicle has been set up with certain defects that when discovered will count toward your final score. Any defect not on the list doesn't count.

There is certain procedure recommended...and as far as my experience goes...it is the best. The TDC judges not only look for your ability to find said defects...they also evaluate your technique.

This is especially true at the Nationals. That is why it is critically important to do your pre-trip the same way each and every time.

I practice for the TDC competition with every pre and post trip inspection I perform.

I have heard this asinine argument before..."the TDC has nothing to do with the real world"...when in fact it has everything to do with the real world of trucking.

The skills and knowledge required to successfully compete in the TDC are the very things we use every day...and these are condensed into a very small window of opportunity in the competition.

It boils down to this...you either know your business or you don't. Those that make to the Nationals are experts...and those who win the Nationals are the Masters of their trade.

Any questions???

Rat

How long have you been a redshirt???

ST

ST

You call it a parking lot, I call it a closed course. The perfect place to increase skills, with little or no risk of damage or injury.

Much like spending time with your car or motorcycle on a racetrack (again, a closed course) or a obstacle course (parking lot?) can allow you to push the limit far further and far safer than on the public streets.

You can learn more in a day or two on a closed course than you can learn in years and years on the street. You would be shocked at how true this is.

If anyone thinks they are really good at driving/riding anything, go to a track (closed course) and put your skill up against others. You'll get a reality check in your first session. You'll find out what your car, truck, or bike can really do and most importantly, what you can really do. And if you put forth some effort, you can learn to do it a lot better.

The purpose of getting close to scoring markers in competition is to measure how accurately and precisely you can control placement of your vehicle. Contact always scores zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
You call it a parking lot, I call it a closed course. The perfect place to increase skills, with little or no risk of damage or injury.

Much like spending time with your car or motorcycle on a racetrack (again, a closed course) or a obstacle course (parking lot?) can allow you to push the limit far further and far safer than on the public streets.

You can learn more in a day or two on a closed course than you can learn in years and years on the street. You would be shocked at how true this is.

If anyone thinks they are really good at driving/riding anything, go to a track (closed course) and put your skill up against others. You'll get a reality check in your first session. You'll find out what your car, truck, or bike can really do and most importantly, what you can really do. And if you put forth some effort, you can learn to do it a lot better.

The purpose of getting close to scoring markers in competition is to measure how accurately and precisely you can control placement of your vehicle. Contact always scores zero.

Swampy, are you aware of the fact that the safest driver in the history of the company to date, who had just shy of 4 million miles without even being involved in an accident, never once competed in a TDC? He considered it a waste of time. He was a 37 year Road driver in Socal. Go ahead, explain to me how he didn't know what he was doing because he didn't participate in the dog and pony show.

ST

According to SR I just graduated from truck driving school, watched a truck rodeo, now I have years and years of truck driving experience. That will look great on my resume when I'm trying to get a job with someone other than a bottom feeder. If you qualify to compete in the TDC's you are a true professional, especially the local drivers. I encourage all drivers to compete in the TDC's at least once, and don't forget the mechanics. TP Master Level Award Driver Line Haul Retired.

Huey Lewis and the News....workin for a livin.... I'm takin what they givin cause im workin for a livin.

I'm too lazy to copy and paste that,where is clandestine???

I take my card and I stand in line To make a buck I work overtime Dear Sir letters keep coming in the mail I work my back till it's racked with pain The boss can't even recall my name I show up late and I'm docked It never fails I feel like just another Spoke in a great big wheel Like a tiny blade of grass In a great big field To workers I'm just another drone

BOB SEGER - FEEL LIKE A NUMBER

Swampy, are you aware of the fact that the safest driver in the history of the company to date, who had just shy of 4 million miles without even being involved in an accident, never once competed in a TDC? He considered it a waste of time. He was a 37 year Road driver in Socal. Go ahead, explain to me how he didn't know what he was doing because he didn't participate in the dog and pony show.

ST

You cite the exception... I cite the fact that there is a lot that can be learned in a parking lot with barrels, cones, etc. I think even your 37 year guy can learn something. Maybe not. Maybe he knows everything. I surely don't. I'm still finding ways to do it better.

According to SR I just graduated from truck driving school, watched a truck rodeo, now I have years and years of truck driving experience. That will look great on my resume when I'm trying to get a job with someone other than a bottom feeder.

Negative. Experience obviously does bring wisdom. Practice can bring expertise. And you can safely learn more about limits on a closed course than on the street.

Another analogy: You wouldn't expect to become an expert marksman working as an armed security guard, would you? No matter how long you'd done it? Do you really question the value of time spent at the shooting range?