ABF | Uniforms

Hey Rollin62 the problem is they don't want to give them to everyone. The workers that get the grease, dust, dirt, and crap falling out of loaded trailers are not getting the uniforms. That's when I want someone else to wash them when I'm doing that.

I agree that they should be distributed to all employees. But here's the deal, the majority voted for our current contract. Blame your coworkers for any loss of income because they voted for it. Secondly, they already had a yearly, allowance uniform program in place before this one. They just tweaked it to something different. Why are we crying about something so stupid? If the shoe fits wear it

I agree that they should be distributed to all employees. But here's the deal, the majority voted for our current contract. Blame your coworkers for any loss of income because they voted for it. Secondly, they already had a yearly, allowance uniform program in place before this one. They just tweaked it to something different. Why are we crying about something so stupid? If the shoe fits wear it
If
you don't like this thread don't read it. In case you can't understand MOST POST ON ANY PUBLIC FORUM ARE PEOPLE WITH PRESSIBG ISSUES. If you did not have TB you would have nobody to talk too. So troll your small little brain out.

This is NOTHING like what we have now and it is going to cost them ALOT more to have them washed and brought to us, and amazingly they have the money to do it. Where do you think that money came from?
Your thinking is "Hey I don't care if they stole my money I don't have to do laundry"
I'm sure you would vote to give back again if they promised to give you a cheap hot dog every night because then you wouldn't have to cook.!

This is NOTHING like what we have now and it is going to cost them ALOT more to have them washed and brought to us, and amazingly they have the money to do it. Where do you think that money came from?
Your thinking is "Hey I don't care if they stole my money I don't have to do laundry"
I'm sure you would vote to give back again if they promised to give you a cheap hot dog every night because then you wouldn't have to cook.!
They didn't steal our money, we gave it to them to enhance the abf brand by a vote. Quit blaming abf. Our union looked at the books and said this is a great deal! Loss of vaca.... Pay cut.... Ect... I'm not trying to be a sarcastic just pointing out facts

One of the yard guys complained last week about the yard guys not getting uniforms. Someone @ 050, maybe a steward or someone with some common sense pointed out that a lot of the dock / yard guys are forced or volunteer to go to the street. When the TM was asked if he thought ABF wanted a greasy / dirty looking employee showing up @ a customer, the decision was made to fit everyone with uniforms. On Friday 4-10-15 Cintas (non-union) in Indy, measured most or all of the rank & file. With the 2 times a year bids & all the other bumping that goes on all year, what logical reason would corporate have to not dress em all in the ABF Uniforms. It seems to me, if corporate is concerned about our image, then the statement they made on the Info Roundtable as it is the TM’s final decision as to who received or did not receive uniforms, had to have been based on cost rather than image. In this case their statement was like stepping on their own Tallywacker. Von.

One of the yard guys complained last week about the yard guys not getting uniforms. Someone @ 050, maybe a steward or someone with some common sense pointed out that a lot of the dock / yard guys are forced or volunteer to go to the street. When the TM was asked if he thought ABF wanted a greasy / dirty looking employee showing up @ a customer, the decision was made to fit everyone with uniforms. On Friday 4-10-15 Cintas (non-union) in Indy, measured most or all of the rank & file. With the 2 times a year bids & all the other bumping that goes on all year, what logical reason would corporate have to not dress em all in the ABF Uniforms. It seems to me, if corporate is concerned about our image, then the statement they made on the Info Roundtable as it is the TM’s final decision as to who received or did not receive uniforms, had to have been based on cost rather than image. In this case their statement was like stepping on their own Tallywacker. Von.
We ordered ours last week with Cintas the scabs! We're rebidding this week and I might go back to a U.E. Bid so does this mean my uniforms get cancelled? We also have a guy that's retiring in June and their still making him get uniforms.Their giving us 11 sets and we have guys that ordered a mix of short and long sleeve shirts. I said what are you going to wear in the middle of the summer when all of your short sleeves are in the laundry? That's why I ordered all short sleeves.

We ordered ours last week with Cintas the scabs! We're rebidding this week and I might go back to a U.E. Bid so does this mean my uniforms get cancelled? We also have a guy that's retiring in June and their still making him get uniforms.Their giving us 11 sets and we have guys that ordered a mix of short and long sleeve shirts. I said what are you going to wear in the middle of the summer when all of your short sleeves are in the laundry? That's why I ordered all short sleeves.
I go all shorts because the longs are too light to wear in the winter so they are useless.

No need to worry. Eventually this will run its course and be done with. As I see it, its just another experiment we're paying for with our pay cuts/contribution to the company. once we get back to full scale and the company has to pay for this out of their own pocket instead of ours, it will cease. It's all fun and games spending someone else money.

After canceling the measurement party Tuesday, they've rescheduled us for Friday. I will ask whoever comes to measure us if they are Union......presumably that's Cintas,....and then I will politely decline to try on their samples. Once I have confirmation they are non-Union, I will promptly file the grievance, and let ABF explain how it wasn't..."possible".....to find a Union vendor, yet I could find three with just a cursory inquiry. I would imagine they're going to use that word "possible" in Art. 12 to mean they can do whatever they wish, and contract be damned. And, no Rollin,.....we didn't give them carte Blanche to spend money on any silly thing they wish , and then tell us they missed our bonus by a few tenths of a percent. If they want to spend money, how about reimbursing me for the cost of my HAZ-MAT, that they require us to have?

Thats not exactly how it went down Von. The BA had to get the regoinal VP and the labor man on the phone.
And EVERYONE don't just lay down and say "well they just do what they want" we can make them abide by the contract and we should.

Be proactive, start organizing CINcinatti Textile And Supply!!!! him not having a card is a chance for two things, organizing, or employing, TEAMSTERS...let your BA tap dance around THAT one....
Thanks, Brother Buffalo Bill, I didn't know what Cintas was an acronym for. And, yes ...we already tried to organize the local Cintas facility several years ago. Brutal people...... Time to try again.......But,.... as I said,... I found 3 Union vendors within a few minutes search.....So,... how is it not... "possible"..... for ABF to find a Union vendor?

Thats not exactly how it went down Von. The BA had to get the regoinal VP and the labor man on the phone.
And EVERYONE don't just lay down and say "well they just do what they want" we can make them abide by the contract and we should.
Thanks for the update. I had not heard about the labor man & the BA getting this settled.

Grievances filed. To add insult to injury, the sample uniforms they brought were made in the Honduras,.......probably by child labor,...but certainly not by Union workers. Cintas rep could not guarantee that the uniforms will be made in America. Are they trying to insult us? Or are they so arrogant that they thought no one would call them out on the Art. 12 provisions?

I'm #2 at the 029 terminal and have been with ABF since 1990 and started before the Carolina deal.

We had Cintas into our barn last Thursday morning, and I declined to be fitted for the uniforms. I ended up in the TM's office with my Steward (30 plus years from the Carolina side of the family).

Basically, part of my position with the TM was that I couldn't wear their Uniform until I knew more about how the program worked. He didn't have anything in writing and seemed to be making things up as he went along. I wanted to know if I'd be required to take the uniforms home, which I wouldn't volunteer to ever do. I wanted to know what chemicals that Cintas would be using and if they had a method of dealing with employees who had either sensitive skin or insensitivities to chemicals. I also questioned the allotment of uniforms and tried to explain to him that in order to utilize both shorts and short sleeved shirts in the summertime, that there wouldn't be enough clean uniforms on the second week, and that you would again have the same issue in winter.

I heard back things like, he'd buy me special laundry soap so I could wash "my" uniforms myself at my own home, and that no matter what, I had to be ready for work at my appointed time in "my" uniform. My TM was quite frustrated and I calmly continued to advise him to give me a letter, so that I could either protest, and or grieve it. Our exchange ended when he eventually gave up and told me to go back to work. At the end of shift on Friday I still hadn't received a letter.

Today I submitted the following to our Business Agent after our monthly meeting

I thought this strategy might be helpful to other barns. Basically, by never taking the uniforms home, and changing into them at the terminal before starting my shift, I hope ABF will be forced to take full responsibility for the costs of implementing their uniform policy.

Luckily our Terminal (an old Carolina term), used to be a bunk house, so there are 2 showers upstairs and plenty of empty rooms to install lockers and a bench. Which at this time, isn't what my TM has in mind.

Also, by changing at the Terminal, it will force ABF to renegotiate their contract with Cintas to provide either more uniforms into the mix, or to have a much quicker turn around with their clean laundry delivery.

My advice would be to tell your fellow employee's to insist on changing before their shift, especially if you're in a part of the country with 4 seasons. Then enjoy the show at your dispatch window when you complain that you're out of uniform pants and only have shorts available in the middle of winter.

At the end of my post is how I laid it out to our BA. He said he was both going to both forward it up the chain, and come over and inspect our disgusting little men's room, and check out the old bunkhouse and shower facility.

I also have an official copy of the Uniform Policy that ABF sent to the IBT, who forwarded to my local on April 13th. The 4th policy statement says that "the uniform is not to be worn off duty or for personal use, except to be worn to and from work."

Brothers, I think that we should all change from street clothes into our Uniforms at work, and then back into our own clothes before leaving work, and let ABF deal with the full consequences of spending our giveback this way.

The following was submitted to L.U. 317's Business Agent today.

ABF Uniform Issues

2 Issues that prevent implementation

*No adequate locker room to change clothes before or after shift. (1st issue)

Reasonable requirements as follows for a locker/changing room.

-Far enough into the building as to not track water and snow into the locker room-Full height lockable lockers to secure street clothes, shoes, towel, and toiletries.
-Benches in locker room
-Shower facility adjacent to locker room.
-Clean uniform pickup and soiled drop bin in the actual locker room area, or at the very least, on the same floor.
-Cleaning of locker room area, and shower 3 times a week, unlike the brief once weekly cleaning of our drivers room bathroom.

*Clear definition on the ability to wear our own shorts in the summertime as granted in Article 12 of contract. (2nd issue)

My understanding of ABF's Cintas contract is that there is not an option to have enough shorts to wear in the summertime unless the employee takes the uniform's home to wash themselves.

Only 11 changes of pants and/or shorts, with the number of each picked at initial fitting, with one weekly exchange of dirty for clean uniforms by Cintas.

Example: If wanting to wear shorts in the summertime, an employee would have to pick the option of having 6 pants, with the rest being shorts. If Cintas is picking the clothes up for wash, and on week number 1 you've worn shorts each day to work, you're not able to wear shorts again until the 3rd week when they are returned clean.

Reverse this process in the wintertime and you'll quickly realize that an employee will not be able to have clean pants to wear for 4 days of the 2nd week, unless they are taking the uniform home to wash themselves. (Only 6 pants to make it through a 2 week cycle)

This issue again repeats itself, with having to choose long sleeve versus short sleeve shirts , with the total being 11.

Will there be disciplinary action by ABF, when we wear our own clothes in the wintertime for 4 days of the second week, or for 5 days of the second week in the summertime?

Does our union really think that an employee of ABF should have to wash their uniform's themselves, in order to not be in the position of only having enough winter clothing for 6 days out of 10 in a 2 week work cycle. (5 out of 10 in the summer months)

Also please note, our Terminal is not heated or air conditioned.

The implementation of this uniform program should be prohibited until there is

#1: clear decision on ABF having to providing necessary locker/changing room and shower facilities before requiring uniforms to be worn, and those facilities available fully beforehand.

#2 Enough uniforms supplied to have a full 2 week rotation of both summer and winter wear, with clear protection from disciplinary action on ABF's part due to their own shortsightedness in setting up a mandatory uniform program.

Very good,....but you're forgetting about Art.12's primary purpose, which was to get Union carriers to use Union vendors. ABF seems to be hanging their hat on the words"if possible " ....Of course it's possible, and if the IBT would've bothered to check with the AFL-CIO, they could've had a list a mole long. Why did they pick Cintas? And,.,...if you look on ABF's policy,they only give uniforms to some of their people, a clear violation of both Art. 12 and Art. 6.