Yellow | Uniforms

owlpuss said:
got info yesterday must wear shirts till temp hits 90 then you dont have to wear them what was every body wearing before this most freight guys you see wear lumber jack shirts or jean shirts at least these have the ibt logo on them

Got the info from who , that you don't have to wear them passed 90

There's been a memo from the Teamster's National Freight Negotiating Committee (I think that's all the initials)on our company board at Indy that says we don't have to wear the HEAVY shirts when it goes past ninety-- that they have an agreement as to that; that they're still negotiating what to do in the future--- BUT that it only involves the button-down shirts. The Polo shirts can still be made to be worn, if I'm reading it right. How a lot of people are getting around it is they only ordered the button-down shirts. Quite a few only ordered long sleeves, since it was to take effect in Feb. There was virtually no communication about either the rules to be, or whether or not we'd be ordering shorts sleeves later. Myself, I got mostly polos; I can wear sweat shirts under them if I need to, IF I'm still on a driving bid this winter.........

Double-Clutch said:
Got the info from who , that you don't have to wear them passed 90

I think it was last week that bulletin came out, and I think another one is due out this week, I was told to keep my eye out for it in the next day or two.

Did anyone hear that the roadway city guys were getting shirts like us, execpt where ours are black theirs is supposed to be blue?

I have the letter in a PDF file.......PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

If you know how to put the PDF file on this forum, it will be a help to all of us..........KK

pa-juggalo said:
Did anyone hear that the roadway city guys were getting shirts like us, execpt where ours are black theirs is supposed to be blue?

Black???? The ones we got are orange.

BRIGHT orange! (where'd the color button go?)

Or are you talking about the stripes?

jimmy g said:
Actually, now that I wear them, the unis would be sharp looking if they got rid of the stupid stripes down the sides. All plain orange would look great. And I like the one jacket with the horizontal stripe-- the one with the vertical stripe went out of style in 1973...........

The polo shirt and the horizontal stripe jacket are identical in style to FexEx, but different colors.

Jimmy B, Indiana's a right to work state too. But to work at Yellow, you still must be 100% Teamster. Contract says so, and right to work really has nothing to do with that, I believe. Join and accept the contract, or go on down the road and work somewhere else. Pretty simple-- no politics to it. No union/anti-union issue, really. Just yes or no.

Jimmy G,

I like the shirts, so do the customers...

I drive a 1988 white/gmc "brig" w/o AC. I'd rather be in a tee/shirt, but customers seem to like the uniform shirts...

I think I'll just wear them then...

jimmy g said:
Jimmy B, Indiana's a right to work state too. But to work at Yellow, you still must be 100%Teamster. Contract says so, and right to work really has nothing to do with that, I believe. Join and accept the contract, or go on down the road and work somewhere else. Pretty simple-- no politics to it. No union/anti-union issue, really. Just yes or no.

Well you are wrong, the only reason your barn is 100% teamster in a "right to work" state is because your stewards make it so...

UPS in Sparks with well over 1000 employees is only 70% joined. If there was a cause for 100% membership, it would be UPS. Well, seems the right makes stuff up to discourage union membership...

Jimmy B

jimmy g said:
Jimmy B, Indiana's a right to work state too. But to work at Yellow, you still must be 100% Teamster. Contract says so, and right to work really has nothing to do with that, I believe. Join and accept the contract, or go on down the road and work somewhere else. Pretty simple-- no politics to it. No union/anti-union issue, really. Just yes or no.

Bush disagrees with your assessments.......

On February 17 of this year, President Bush issued Executive Order 13201 which requires federal contractors to give specific notice to employees of their rights with respect to union membership and the payment of union dues. If you contract with the federal government or have contracting arrangements which include federal funds, you should be aware of this new Executive Order.

Under federal labor law no employee may be required to become a member of a union as a condition of employment. In most states, however, employers and unions may enter into union security agreements under which covered employees can be required to pay uniform periodic dues and initiation fees even though they still have not "joined" the union. The U.S. Supreme Court in 1988 ruled that these non-union members could only be required to pay such dues and fees to the extent that they were used to cover expenses associated with collective bargaining, contract administration or grievance adjustments. If fees or dues are used for other purposes (such as political contributions or lobbying), the non-union contributors can object and obtain refunds and reductions in future dues payments.

http://www.grlaw.com/consnews.shtml

Don't shoot the messenger!

All I know is the day I was hired at Preston, I said to the the TM "I guess I need to join the Teamsters or something". (I'd been an owner-operator) He told me "No 'or something' about it. You work here- you're a Teamster. Period."

Right to work not right to retire?

If you are in a right to work state and you decide to NOT join the union it would seem that you also decide to not have a teamster retirement. Would that be correct.

we have been told here in jackson ms.(local 891) that when temp. is 94 you do not have to wear uniform.i was told this came from ba. you might want to check as he didn't tell me directly. we're not florida but still deep south. hit 100 today heat index 106. anyway pretty reliable source told me this .

yellerfeller said:
we have been told here in jackson ms.(local 891) that when temp. is 94 you do not have to wear uniform.i was told this came from ba. you might want to check as he didn't tell me directly. we're not florida but still deep south. hit 100 today heat index 106. anyway pretty reliable source told me this .

Hopefully, the TM agrees, as ours appears-- (at least he hasn't stopped anyone yet)to.

The actual memo (KK posted it in the thread) says above 90 you do NOT have to wear the HEAVY shirt, but you DO have to wear the polo one.....it was 99 here (Indiana) today. I called my Mom in Pennsylvania-- she said it was over 100 there.

I know you guys have read this, but I'll post it for the one's that may have not. Article 12 NMFA. I have a hard time understanding why you would be made to wear a thick shirt, no matter how good it looks on you :cool: , when it's summer!! DS.