Yellow | Uniforms

from KK's article:

Johnson has stated, "If the temperature goes beyond 90 degrees, the membership will not be required to wear the heavy uniform shirt (any shirt other than the polo shirt). In addition he advised membership not to sign any type of form or acknowledgement for receipt of uniforms in conjuction with vendor liability

I'm not arguing with anyone. I don't like the shirts myself. But it says we MUST wear the polo shirt, even when it's hot. The polo isn't much heavier than a T-Shirt. Just trying to keep you guys out of trouble. Here, the TM is not looking when guys wear t-shirts, since they claim all their unis are dirty and in the laundry.............smart guy! Just "git er done".

jimmy g said:
Hopefully, the TM agrees, as ours appears-- (at least he hasn't stopped anyone yet)to.

The actual memo (KK posted it in the thread) says above 90 you do NOT have to wear the HEAVY shirt, but you DO have to wear the polo one.....it was 99 here (Indiana) today. I called my Mom in Pennsylvania-- she said it was over 100 there.
YES IT WAS!!!!

serta said:
YES IT WAS!!!! (over 100)

OK, Now here's the $69.00 question-- and everybody's waiting to hear the answer:

"Did You have your uniform shirt on in the 100 degrees?":chairshot: :nutkick: :duh:

(stupid answer from Jimmyg, in 99 degree heat): "Yes, the Polo one". But I sat in the A/C as much as I could. I started on the dock in a T-Shirt-- then was "Forced Out". What a shame!:duh:

Docksteward said:
I know you guys have read this, but I'll post it for the one's that may have not. Article 12 NMFA. I have a hard time understanding why you would be made to wear a thick shirt, no matter how good it looks on you :cool: , when it's summer!! DS.

WHy did you post this reference? Was it to show that the co has the right to make us wear them or ????? The May to sept reference is for shorts. It's just too Damn hot to force someone to wear a non breathable material like polyester!! I myself prefer cotton and Yellow would have been better off if they gave each of us cotton tees with the yellow logo or give us an allowance and blet us choose from the Swampholly store. As long as it has a yellow logo it should be ok ..

yellerfeller said:
we have been told here in jackson ms.(local 891) that when temp. is 94 you do not have to wear uniform.i was told this came from ba. you might want to check as he didn't tell me directly. we're not florida but still deep south. hit 100 today heat index 106. anyway pretty reliable source told me this .

We had a heated discussion about this on tues here at LCP. The co wanted me a a steward to set a example for the guys and wear the shirt tucked in and buttoned completely up. I said no, 1, it's 90+ so acording to your negotiated policy I don't have to, 2, their uncomfortable, and 3, unsafe. I would not prefer to wear it, and if I wouldn't wear it why would I try to make anyone else, bake their brains out. I said I don't have a problem wearing it and being comfortable, but I do on hot and even more so humid days. Eventually I was told something to the extent of that the reason companies are getting rid of us union peole is not playing ball and following the rules, and I took that as a threat to everyone of us, over these stupid shirts. I was told that if we don't wear the shirts we are not professional, what were we for the years past?, to wich I replied that serviceing your customers and being on time, is professional, not what kind of shirt your wearing. But you know they don't want to hear that part. I was told I could file labor charges against this guy for holding me to a higher standard then other employees, but then told not to because I didn't have a witness, and the city mgr, and I have no idea what the other guy is, kida like a city babysitter, would lie and say they never said anything like that. I didn't think because I was a steward that I would in fact need one with me, now I know better.

File A Greivance And Get It Out Into The Open. That Will Show These *** Holes That They Can't Brow Beat Us (yellow Drivers) Cause Believe Me THEY Didn't Care Or Gave A Dam For Years That We Had Uniforms Or Decent Equipment To Drive. Trust Me We Will All Believe What You Say!!!!

I sent a letter to Mr. Gordon Sweeton, on the national negotiating comittee. He did call me and we talked. He said he was going to call yellow corporate, and they better have some answers. Ofcourse you know that's the last I heard, maybe it help, maybe it didn't. I don't know if all the city work is ran the same or not, but Lancaster is head hunting, big time. It's funny you can almost come off the street and get a 8am 4/10 hr day bid, and they have no clue why they can't keep help in the city, sorry got off the main subject.......

This is kinda like its too hot for your pets to be outside, but send the poor smuck in the truck with no a/c and a heavy shirt senerio

pa-juggalo said:
. I don't know if all the city work is ran the same or not, but Lancaster is head hunting, big time. It's funny you can almost come off the street and get a 8am 4/10 hr day bid, and they have no clue why they can't keep help in the city, sorry got off the main subject.......

I did almost that scenario. Bid back to the dock, go out when I can/want to/have to. Can work all the OT I want-- don't have to protect 60 hours, like on the street. If you go over, you simply stay on the dock-- cannot go out. Go to the yard most days. I like the street, or the dock, or the yard. On the dock I can actually work 40 hours for 40 hours pay, where on the street we have to work 42 1/2 hours for 40 hours pay due to having to take lunch.........also, there aren't unis on the dock..............They treat us extremely well (at least they do me) here in Indy-- you could almost commit murder in front of witnesses on camera and still keep your job; but the dock seems to be less rules, far less hassle, no customers to deal with, more $$$$$..................

Sorry they act that way in my old home country. Everythig's cool here.........:Banane01: :punk: :shades: