Yellow | Union Brother gets our Road Steward Fired@241

little indian 1

TB Lurker
Credits
Tell me what you guys think about this crap!!

We have this driver that came over from Fed-Ex about 2yrs ago. He been problems ever since. He likes to run over his 14hrs,run hot,call ahead and get his work assignment extended, refuses to sign in and out at foreign terminals, does his own drop and hook at open terminals. Always behind the dispatch counter sucking up, basically an all around scav.

He recently was scolded by our road steward, who left him a voice mail on his personal cell phone. He was told to stop what he was doing and has been told several times in the past.

Get this crap!! he went to management with the voicemail said he was being THREATENED by the shop steward and they instructed him to go to the local police dept and file a report which he did.

Our road steward was then fired and barred from roadway property pending a hearing at which time the firing was upheld and forwarded to state panel for there decision.

The only problem is the road steward has ALLEGEDLY done this before.

He was fired for work place violence. This is life at Roadway Cincinnati ohio. If your thinking of transfering into cincy in the upcoming change. You better do your home work 1st. because this is truly a prison camp!!!!

We have this driver that came over from Fed-Ex about 2yrs ago. He been problems ever since. He likes to run over his 14hrs,run hot,call ahead and get his work assignment extended, refuses to sign in and out at foreign terminals, does his own drop and hook at open terminals. Always behind the dispatch counter sucking up, basically an all around scav.

He recently was scolded by our road steward, who left him a voice mail on his personal cell phone. He was told to stop what he was doing and has been told several times in the past.

Get this crap!! he went to management with the voicemail said he was being THREATENED by the shop steward and they instructed him to go to the local police dept and file a report which he did.

Our road steward was then fired and barred from roadway property pending a hearing at which time the firing was upheld and forwarded to state panel for there decision.

He was fired for work place violence. This is life at Roadway Cincinnati ohio. If your thinking of transfering into cincy in the upcoming change. You better do your home work 1st. because this is truly a prison camp!!!!

Guys like this make me sick and they need to be dealt with,if he is not signing in and out ,he is violating the contract,I believe .When he took the voice message from the steward to management,he violated his oath to the Union and brought harm to a brother member and he should be brought up on charges.and be dismissed from this great union.We do not need members like this .
Our stewards have a "THANKLESS" job to begin with, they are dedecated to the union and the people on the job .They spend alot of their own time and money to make sure that we all enjoy a good workplace.It is one thing to disagree with a steward or a BA or another brother,It is anotherthing to take it to management.And that is going too far.
United We Stand.
P.S. I hope that your local ,I think it is 100,does right by your steward and gets his job back for him,and with back pay.

We have had simerler issues like this at 120. The bottom line? The Local needs to grab people like your Fed-ex friend and blackball them right back to that "Other" company!
Or how about this? Fine the little rat the total amount of pay that the Steward is losing!
Rules are Rules!Follow them or go back to being non Union!
No one is above the rules! If this story is true this driver needs to have his card pulled!

We have had simerler issues like this at 120. The bottom line? The Local needs to grab people like your Fed-ex friend and blackball them right back to that "Other" company!
Or how about this? Fine the little rat the total amount of pay that the Steward is losing!
Rules are Rules!Follow them or go back to being non Union!
No one is above the rules! If this story is true this driver needs to have his card pulled!

Right on brother

1. I think the Steward got him self in the hot water when he said what ever he did on the man's voice mail that would get the police involved. He should have never left a message. (speak face to face with out any whitenesses)

2. If he were in violation of the DOT laws I think the Steward should have went to the BA and decided on how to deal with the DOT violations? Advise the Company that if they did not stop it then they would have no choice but to get the DOT involved or something worse. Get Overland Park involved. Now we all know we can not have drivers running in violation of the law. If Roadway knew he was running in violation his managers would even get in trouble.

3. There is better ways to deal with people like him. Let them hang there self we just got to go at it in a different way. Just help the tighten the rope when you can.

4. I think the title of this thread need to be changed to "Union Member" Not Union Brother. No Brother would do this.

1. I think the Steward got him self in the hot water when he said what ever he did on the man's voice mail that would get the police involved. He should have never left a message. (speak face to face with out any whitenesses)

2. If he were in violation of the DOT laws I think the Steward should have went to the BA and decided on how to deal with the DOT violations? Advise the Company that if they did not stop it then they would have no choice but to get the DOT involved or something worse. Get Overland Park involved. Now we all know we can not have drivers running in violation of the law. If Roadway knew he was running in violation his managers would even get in trouble.

3. There is better ways to deal with people like him. Let them hang there self we just got to go at it in a different way. Just help the tighten the rope when you can.

4. I think the title of this thread need to be changed to "Union Member" Not Union Brother. No Brother would do this.

Toxic the problem with letting him hang himself is that it takes forever and in the prosess the established working conditions (Rules, Past practice, Etc) get flushed down the hopper!
Never let one mans greed or stupidity screw it up for everyone else!

Toxic the problem with letting him hang himself is that it takes forever and in the prosess the established working conditions (Rules, Past practice, Etc) get flushed down the hopper!
Never let one mans greed or stupidity screw it up for everyone else!

Amen! Every terminal has fence jumpers you always got to watch your back.

when the time comes......

Toxic you hit it on the head by letting him hang himself brother. Yeah it might take some time but"when you do dirt, you get dirt" and it is amazing how quick they turn around and try to become rightous again when they screw up and need that steward, BA or the local .

Metro- that member can swim but so long at the deep end of the pool by himself b/4 he needs a life line:grinning-smiley-021

I think you need to give him some love "southern hospitality style" :bicycle:

First of all:

I would not have left MY voice on his cell phone!

Now, he should have filed for him violating the proper signing in and out Article in the NMFA.

Then he should have reported his violating the HOS to the DOT (No retaliation can be done due to his protection under the STAA Act!)

The he should have gone to the Local BA and have him talked to , and leading up to any charges if the matter is not settled.

Now, if the Steward did not make any threats to him on his voice mail, he can file a claim under the STAA Act if his BA knows anything about it, as he was protected under that as a "whistle-blower" under the Act and cannot be fired for doing so.............

Let us know what happens!........KK

Good info, KK!! In hindsight I'm sure the steward would have thought twice about leaving the message. What gets me is this guy is going around breaking the rules and bringing attention to himself, he gets called out and goes running to management?!? So we got a guy setting at home without pay that, all on his own, want's to help people and defend our contract. While the guy that went to management, scared about a phone message, is out running the roads wide open and out of hours, with your familys on the road. Like SL said, It may not happen today or next week, but what comes around, goes around. DS.

is it ever ok?

Is there ever an instance where u can "rat" on a brother? I'm not saying I would do this, but there was an instance discussed in the union meeting where a guy damaged company property and they wired a fellow employee to catch him bragging about it. I assumed you were never supposed to get involved in any of this? Maybe if the local officers tell u to help catch an idiot that they want to get rid of anyways?

Good info, KK!! In hindsight I'm sure the steward would have thought twice about leaving the message. What gets me is this guy is going around breaking the rules and bringing attention to himself, he gets called out and goes running to management?!? So we got a guy setting at home without pay that, all on his own, want's to help people and defend our contract. While the guy that went to management, scared about a phone message, is out running the roads wide open and out of hours, with your familys on the road. Like SL said, It may not happen today or next week, but what comes around, goes around. DS.
Isn't Ohio a closed shop?Bring charges at the hall,have the sob black balled and he won't have a job.

The steward's activity may be legally protected under the employee protection provisions of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act, 49 U.S.C.Sec. 31105. In Smith v. Yellow Freight Systems decided several years ago, the Secretary of Labor held that counselling other employees about Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations is a protected activity under the STAA.

Under the STAA, a successful claimant is entitled to back pay, reinstatement, other damages and attorney fees and costs.

I will try to post a link to the Smith v. Yellowcase later.

Paul Taylor
[email protected]

NOTHING IN THIS POST SHALL BE CONSTRUED AS CREATING AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Thanks for the information Opie. I hope some one can get this information to the man that was fired for coaching a fellow employee in the DOT laws. Please post the link as soon as you can.

Unfortunately the U. S. Department of Labor, Office of Administrative Law Judges website is down for two days for servicing this weekend. I will post ASAP.

Paul Taylor
Truckers Justice Center
Attorney at Law

This guy took an OATH when he joined the Union not to do Anything against a Union Brother. The Local in Cin. needs to bring this guy up on charges and get rid of him!! We do not need ***** in or Union!!

hummmm,
your ex fed ex guy seems like the norm today. maybe this thread belongs in the union forum instead of here. i hate to hear of anyone losing their job. but today one must be careful of what they say and do because we are all reponsible for our actions no matter where we are. what exactly did your steward say? need more info to make a comment

Isn't Ohio a closed shop?Bring charges at the hall,have the sob black balled and he won't have a job.

i am not exactly sure about the closed shop issue but i know for fact some manufacturing plants in ohio have non union and union working alongside each other (GE) in fact i know one shop that had union on one side of the building and non union in the other. all housed in the same building. on getting representation of a union one must go throught the normal channels to have one voted in. i went throught this at gm in the 60s when they started a new plant along side one that was established. i went from union to non union without any say when i was called to the new plant for work and i worked non union for three months

If the steward was fired for workplace violence, then he deserved what HE got. Secondly, if he was foolish enough to leave an actionable threat on a voicemail, you are better off without him. SOB ever tried that with me, he better paralyze my ***, because I would have killed him. You call it a "scolding". Last time I heard, the police wont bring charges for a "scolding".

Now as to the scumbag who is on the other end of this. If he is as bad as you make out, and it has gotten this far along, where the hell WAS the steward for all this time????

Either we aint gewtting the whole story, or that is one screwed up barn.