Yellow | Union Brother gets our Road Steward Fired@241

Ya It is nice to hear a brother get justice once in awhile. The guys that get the fellow fired then go out of their way to keep him that way are what I'm used to. :ShakeHandsNah: :nutkick: Guess that why I'm getting so danged cynical anymore. Thanks for reminding me how it can be:smilie_132:

In June Holland fired a guy from their terminal for allegedly threatening and intimidating a few of the other guys.

stldude44,

we had a similar situation in my terminal this week. a junior man instigated a situation with another driver in front of the tm and nothing was done. then the next day, the same junior man starts all over again in the drivers room with the same guy. lots of yelling and name calling. senior guy says if you want to discuss the issues like men we can go outside and handle this privately. all this happened in front of about a dozen other drivers including the shop steward (who did nothing to intervene). next thing the junior man tells the steward he wants to call the police, to which the steward replies , let's go. right after that, tm brings 3 drivers at a time into his office to ask what we saw or heard(without the steward). he did this with everyone that was in the drivers room at the time and wrote down what they said. even asked if we heard whether the jr man was threatened or not. to the best of my research, almost everyone said they heard of no direct threats. regardless the sr man was discharged anyway.

the day after the discharge the steward advises us of waht happened the previous day and tells us we should start acting like teamsters again. if the steward really meant what he said he should have grabbed both guys and said in my office now and ended the whole thing right there......but thats a story for another time. it just ticks me off when we are all supposed to be mature men and some guys have to cry like little baby girls.

stldude44,

we had a similar situation in my terminal this week. a junior man instigated a situation with another driver in front of the tm and nothing was done. then the next day, the same junior man starts all over again in the drivers room with the same guy. lots of yelling and name calling. senior guy says if you want to discuss the issues like men we can go outside and handle this privately. all this happened in front of about a dozen other drivers including the shop steward (who did nothing to intervene). next thing the junior man tells the steward he wants to call the police, to which the steward replies , let's go. right after that, tm brings 3 drivers at a time into his office to ask what we saw or heard(without the steward). he did this with everyone that was in the drivers room at the time and wrote down what they said. even asked if we heard whether the jr man was threatened or not. to the best of my research, almost everyone said they heard of no direct threats. regardless the sr man was discharged anyway.

the day after the discharge the steward advises us of waht happened the previous day and tells us we should start acting like teamsters again. if the steward really meant what he said he should have grabbed both guys and said in my office now and ended the whole thing right there......but thats a story for another time. it just ticks me off when we are all supposed to be mature men and some guys have to cry like little baby girls.

Slave,

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately it's like retaliation in football or hockey. Usually the instigator doesn't get caught and the retaliator is the one that is penalized. Personally, (and by no means do I favor a man losing his job but) either both guys should have been discharged or neither of them discharged. Like the old saying, it takes 2 to tango.

Animo,

As you know, the steward was voted out today. Maybe now, situations like this will be handled differently by the new steward. One can only hope for changes for the better. At least it won't get any worse now that we have someone that will stand up for all the men.

Animo,

As you know, the steward was voted out today. Maybe now, situations like this will be handled differently by the new steward. One can only hope for changes for the better. At least it won't get any worse now that we have someone that will stand up for all the men.

One can only hope is right.

stldude44,

that might be the chance for him to come back.. an open hole that management left
sometimes beleive it or not the company may discharge one then go ahead and bring him back after time to cool down but junior man should have been discharged also so he can sit at home and think about his actions also.
derogatory remarks are refferred as hostile...

Its my understanding that the DOT comes into Akron from time to time and audits the logs. Why hasn't anyone turned him into the DOT for his violations? It sounds like this guy needs to be taught a real leasson about life and what it means to be called a brother.

that might be the chance for him to come back.. an open hole that management left
sometimes beleive it or not the company may discharge one then go ahead and bring him back after time to cool down but junior man should have been discharged also so he can sit at home and think about his actions also.
derogatory remarks are refferred as hostile...

Management wanted him to take anger management, and then he could return. He adamently refused citing that it would only put a feather in management's cap for future disciplinary action. Plus he also asked, why should he go when someone else was the instigator? The point is, he was retaliating to someone else getting all up in his face. Personally, if I were in his place, I would be doing exactly as he is doing right now.

what will happen at greivence?
do not know what i would have done(been through anger management class's myself)
i wish the man luck and hope he is reinstated with all back pay and also hope to here what happens with junior!

what will happen at greivence?
do not know what i would have done(been through anger management class's myself)
i wish the man luck and hope he is reinstated with all back pay and also hope to here what happens with junior!

Senior man was awarded his job back, pending completion of anger management classes. He refused to go claiming that this would make him a target for future retaliation. Also, reinstatement was without back pay. I do believe his course of action would net him a better payoff than receiving back pay, if he is successful.

Junior man has basically lost the respect of most men on the job. He is labeled as a crybaby and sissy. And, he hasn't missed one day of work since the incident.

two 681 road drivers fired because they had loud talk between themselfs in the drivers room.tm fired them the next day.I don't know the whole truth to what happened anyone knowing more let us know/???

I realize by the date that this is old news, but the only to deal with this **** is the old fashion way------------- sit him down somewhere off the clock, off the property and explain where he went wrong------------------once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me what you guys think about this crap!!

We have this driver that came over from Fed-Ex about 2yrs ago. He been problems ever since. He likes to run over his 14hrs,run hot,call ahead and get his work assignment extended, refuses to sign in and out at foreign terminals, does his own drop and hook at open terminals. Always behind the dispatch counter sucking up, basically an all around scav.

He recently was scolded by our road steward, who left him a voice mail on his personal cell phone. He was told to stop what he was doing and has been told several times in the past.

Get this crap!! he went to management with the voicemail said he was being THREATENED by the shop steward and they instructed him to go to the local police dept and file a report which he did.

Our road steward was then fired and barred from roadway property pending a hearing at which time the firing was upheld and forwarded to state panel for there decision.

The only problem is the road steward has ALLEGEDLY done this before.

He was fired for work place violence. This is life at Roadway Cincinnati ohio. If your thinking of transfering into cincy in the upcoming change. You better do your home work 1st. because this is truly a prison camp!!!!

best way to handle a scav like that is very simple
call the dot and rat him out for breaking the law
roadway safety will have to do the dirty work then not you
easy and safe method that gets no one in trouble except those who deserve it:chairshot::funky::nutkick::smilie_132:

best way to handle a scav like that is very simple
call the dot and rat him out for breaking the law
roadway safety will have to do the dirty work then not you
easy and safe method that gets no one in trouble except those who deserve it:chairshot::funky::nutkick:
Sounds like a plan but has anyone ever seen any followup on one of these calls? Thru out my career have had a lot of guys swear the were calling Dot but never seen any results:shrug: Me thinks either the blowhards are lying or the Dot is like the "Rdwy safety department or ethics point" cuz I know they don't follow up.

Sounds like a plan but has anyone ever seen any followup on one of these calls? Thru out my career have had a lot of guys swear the were calling Dot but never seen any results:shrug: Me thinks either the blowhards are lying or the Dot is like the "Rdwy safety department or ethics point" cuz I know they don't follow up.

OSHA believe it or not is another option
the DOT does follow up
roadway in winston got fined $10,000 for violations along with 10 drivers $1,000 each for HOS violations

I'd agree with the previous post. I got nailed a long time ago at a check North of Oneonta NY for running over on my log. I defended my log by showing the inspector my manifest, and by stating that the Co. was setting up the peddle run, not me.

There was no fine, ran over my 15 by like 3 hrs I think, but a short time later, found out thru dispatch office the Co. got audited. By whom I don't know, maybe was a lie, but pretty coincidental wouldn't you say?