Union BS

You missed quite a few names on that list. Most if not all those listed went by the wayside for two reasons. The inability to compete with non-union carriers with lower overhead costs or poor high level management decisions. Prior to President Carter deregulating the trucking industry, all motor carrier companies were thriving,all union,all regulated to charge the same rates across the board, hence all making profits and still pay a premium wage to their employees. Thanks to deregulation union carriers could not compete with non-union carriers. Those are the facts and they are documented. It had nothing to do with greediness by the unions. Everyone was happy and making money, inclusive of the owners. To save the remaining few carriers that were willing to stick it out during that time, the unions voted for a pay cut, usually in the form of % givebacks. Sometimes it worked, but for most they bankrolled the givebacks and closed up, taking that % of givebacks with them. A perfect example of management greed not union laziness as you stated. There's no BS here, just facts. I've put 38 years in the trade, and i'm happy to say that 28 0f them were with union carriers. As a thank you for those 28 years, I collect a sizable pension. I get nothing for the 10 years as a non-union employee. That in itself is worth the dues. New Century has been abusing their employees for years now, constantly taking away instead of rewarding, all the while bankrolling their huge profits. They brought this on themselves.
Yeah what he said! Right on the money! It's funny I seem to remember hearing that very same thing months ago at an NCT morning meeting! (The Union put all those companies out of business)

I will leave you with the following top 20 companies that the Teamsters have put out of business. Take a look at it, take a look at the number of men without jobs and then tell me what your Union will do for YOU.

1. PIE - 17,593
2. Consolidated Freightways - 15,500
3. McLean Trucking Co. - 14,530
4. American Freight System - 10,981
5. Spector Redball -7,610
6. Maislin Transport -6,375
7. Hall's Motor Transit -5,809
8. Interstate Motor Freight -5,536
9. Preston Trucking -5,500
10. Transcon Lines -4,817
11. Lee Way Motor Frt. -4,139
12. Wilson Freight Co. -3,754
13. Mason & Dixon Lines -3,627
14. IML Freight -3,624
15. Jones Motor Company - 3,547
16. NationsWay Transport Service -3,500
17. T.I.M.E. - D.C. -3,303
18. Branch Motor Express - 3,032
19. Pilot Freight Carriers - 2,685
20. Johnson Motor Lines - 2,515

Ok I did a little homework just to make you happy. So as not to bore people too much I only quoted the 1st 3 companies on your list. As you can see they were all in deep financial trouble while other unionized trucking companies were making record profits.

Wasn't PIE part of the Ryder PIE Helms Byrns consolidation fiasco? I wonder if buying up the competition with borrowed money helped put them too deeply in debt?

Didn't CF finance the Conway start up with profits from the unionized Consolidated Freightways?

Didn't Maislin shut down because of it losing money after the purchase of Gateway?

Didn't Yellow Corp buy, **** and sell off Preston?

Didn't TNT shutdown Pilot around the same time it purchased the highly profitable unionized Holland and Red Star?

I could go on and on but you get the point. I can't find any information on where the Teamsters were the cause of a trucking company going bankrupt. So I'm calling BS to your thread.

1. PIE
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge George L. Proctor approved the plan in a brief hearing after P-I-E's attorney said a weak economy and less-than-projected revenues over the last five weeks made the outlook bleak
Trucking Firm P-I-E to Close, Sell Off Assets - Los Angeles Times

2. Consolidated Freightways
The Consolidated Freightways announcement comes as the trucking business sees improvement after a two-year slump. Freight tonnage increased 3.5 percent during the second quarter with large trucking companies benefiting as a number of smaller competitors went out of business.

About 7,000 carriers with fleets of five trucks or more closed in the past two years, according to the American Trucking Association. While some of its competitors were profitable, Consolidated Freightways lost $104.3 million last year.

In his recorded message, Brincko -- who took over as chief executive in May -- said restrictions imposed on the credit, insurance and real estate markets since Sept. 11 negatively impacted the company. The company had tried to secure funding, but a bondholder canceled coverage, affecting its discussions with other investors, he said.
https://www.google.com/#q=consolidated+freightways+corporation

3 McLean Trucking
The company issued a one-paragraph statement declaring that because of continuing losses it was forced to seek reorganization and that a bankruptcy petition was to be filed later in the day. McLean officials were not available for comment.

McLean employees took a 15% pay cut last year to help the company trim operating expenses

Abrupt Shutdown Puts 9,800 Out of Work : McLean Trucking Files Chapter 11 - Los Angeles Times

Thanks guys, but I have 1 more thing to add. This Mike1209 just joined TB yesterday and the 1st thing he does is start a thread attacking the Teamsters. Note that he didn't provide a link to support his list of closed trucking companies. I'll bet that is because nowhere on that link will it say the Teamsters caused those closures...... His thread and posts are only his biased opinions and lack any facts.

Bahahahahaha that made me snicker out loud. Wow bet you boys were pissed that you didn't get to spew your garbage today huh. You we're shut down with a hammer. Maybe next time ,,,,,,,,doubt it bahahahahahahajajajajajajahahah !!!!

Bahahahahaha that made me snicker out loud. Wow bet you boys were pissed that you didn't get to spew your garbage today huh. You we're shut down with a hammer. Maybe next time ,,,,,,,,doubt it bahahahahahahajajajajajajahahah !!!!

So you tell me what I missed today at the meeting. I'm interested to find out and since you were there share with us what was discussed. Thank you

Just goes to show you the mentality of DarkMinnow. He actually thought WE were gonna lower ourselves to his level by talking about what is to come. Hey minnow boy this breakfast wasn't about the union it was about the company. What part of that don't you get. Wait.... you weren't there!!!! The impression I got was, once again, the company screwed the customers by not providing a service. Lost customers because of their inadequacies. It has nothing to do with the union breathing down their necks. Get with the program you spineless, excuse for a man!!!!!

I was looking for you Mark ,,,,,but nope like I said before you have no heart and your a punk. I heard every word said today and I watched your cronies try to start but when it was time for the q & a your boys were a little upset that they couldn't . I am glad they got shut out. Oh wait you weren't there punk no go get your shine box and tell the rest of the dopes to do the same. Screw customers man your clueless,,,,,,,

I was looking for you Mark ,,,,,but nope like I said before you have no heart and your a punk. I heard every word said today and I watched your cronies try to start but when it was time for the q & a your boys were a little upset that they couldn't . I am glad they got shut out. Oh wait you weren't there punk no go get your shine box and tell the rest of the dopes to do the same. Screw customers man your clueless,,,,,,,

I missed it to how exactly did those cronies try to start? Was there a real problem with the pro unioners?

I take great offense by the comments made from the both of you. I can speak not only for myself but most of the union supporters here when I say the facts stated by us are backed up with research and a paper trail of history. A 2 year old doesn't have a clue what the word " fact" let alone " History" means. I challenge the both of you to prove my posts to be nothing more than a 2 year old's rendition of not getting his way. I would never poison the facts with made up antics and self serving words of wisdom. I think " I HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD " with this one.

I sit here and read all your Pro union and anti union comments and to say the leaset you all sound like a bunch of 2 year olds.

You hit the nail on the head there...

I might have agreed with you on his first sentence if he hadn't titled this thread UNION BS. It appears to me that his only purpose was to attack the Teamsters. But since he couldn't provide any facts to back up his claim he had to use a bunch of BS lies in order to make his point.

Hey Darksky twice you've avoided my questions. What up with that? I missed the meeting and want you to fill me in on both the company information given along with what occurred regarding the Union! I would appreciate your input! Thanks in advance.

I take great offense by the comments made from the both of you. I can speak not only for myself but most of the union supporters here when I say the facts stated by us are backed up with research and a paper trail of history. A 2 year old doesn't have a clue what the word " fact" let alone " History" means. I challenge the both of you to prove my posts to be nothing more than a 2 year old's rendition of not getting his way. I would never poison the facts with made up antics and self serving words of wisdom. I think " I HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD " with this one.

Could care less about your perspective.I was referring to the constant barrage of children playground name calling.If you do no participate in this,my apologies..If you do,I think the term,"if the shoe fits....." applies..