XPO | Union Busting 101: A Look Inside Jackson Lewis

Joe Nuno

Teamster member 848
Credits
I want to urge everyone to read Unionbusting Confidential, the cover story from the latest issue of In These Times. For the low, low price of $1,595, article author Art Levine signed up for a seminar on staying union-free led by attorneys from Jackson Lewis. As labor laws weaken, spending on union busting has soared into the billions, and Jackson Lewis is one of the go-to law firms. Here's a sample of what their seminar is about:

What if we felt like saying a lot of anti-union stuff to our workers? Lotito introduced a segment called "You Can Say It." Could we tell our workers, for instance, that a union had held strike at a nearby facility only to find that all the strikers had been replaced—and that the same could happen to the employees here? Sure, said Lotito. "It's lawful." He added, "What happens if this statement is a lie? They didn't have another strike, there were no replacements? It's still lawful: The labor board doesn't really care if people are lying."

But if everything failed, and we found ourselves negotiating with a newly formed union, then we still shouldn't lose heart. Instead, we could continue to undermine the union by rejecting all of its demands during negotiations. (In fact, in about a third of the cases after a union victory, employers don't even agree to a contract.)

Go read the rest.

We're familiar with Jackson Lewis here in New York.

Read this post on Edwize exposing a similar seminar, held in November 2005, on "union prevention" in New York state charter schools led by Jackson Lewis, with special guest Rod Paige as the lunchtime speaker.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2007/09/26/390561/-Union-Busting-101-A-Look-Inside-Jackson-Lewis

Jackson and Lewis will be the Firm working with Conway Corp!

Last edited by a moderator:
But if everything failed, and we found ourselves negotiating with a newly formed union, then we still shouldn't lose heart. Instead, we could continue to undermine the union by rejecting all of its demands during negotiations. (In fact, in about a third of the cases after a union victory, employers don't even agree to a contract.)

Jackson and Lewis will be the Firm working with Conway Corp!

I am sorry. But as someone who wants to prop up the union talk.... why did you post this ? This makes me say WTF is the point of going union if they are just gonna stone wall the whole thing and are already working with the legal team necessary to do it " lawfully ".

Because most workers that choose to seek union representation are fed up with what they go through as conway employee's. The legal team that Conway is working with is standard operating procedure when there are talks about union activities.
Yes you can see it as "stone walled" but this is where the union organizer comes in and inform's and educates the workers to what the anti-union consultant will come in and say and try to sway the minds of every employee at your barn.
Conway doesn't want the union and will spend millions on trying to avoid it.

Because most workers that choose to seek union representation are fed up with what they go through as conway employee's. The legal team that Conway is working with is standard operating procedure when there are talks about union activities.
Yes you can see it as "stone walled" but this is where the union organizer comes in and inform's and educates the workers to what the anti-union consultant will come in and say and try to sway the minds of every employee at your barn.
Conway doesn't want the union and will spend millions on trying to avoid it.
Most of the employees want to avoid it too. Why don't you folks go and help YRC get their money and pension back to where it was. There is nothing here for you.

Most of the employees want to avoid it too. Why don't you folks go and help YRC get their money and pension back to where it was. There is nothing here for you.

People been saying for years that union needs new blood to keep its promises to all those old timers.

And we been saying for years this administration should have let YRC/Holland fail. They have burdened the whole industry.

Because of the pension cuts, wage reductions and the 15% give back they are undercutting everyone and making life miserable for us all.

In this case the union has lead to a loss of compensation as a result of hijacking the capitalist system. Instead of charging and paying what the market will bear we are forced to a lower standard.

If they weren't a union shop they would have just sank like so many of the other trucking companies that have been crushed by this recession.

People been saying for years that union needs new blood to keep its promises to all those old timers.

And we been saying for years this administration should have let YRC/Holland fail. They have burdened the whole industry.

Because of the pension cuts, wage reductions and the 15% give back they are undercutting everyone and making life miserable for us all.

In this case the union has lead to a loss of compensation as a result of hijacking the capitalist system. Instead of charging and paying what the market will bear we are forced to a lower standard.

If they weren't a union shop they would have just sank like so many of the other trucking companies that have been crushed by this recession.

Funny how this came up!
Here a comment from T.O.L by kickass;

Talked to a FedEx guy in my run the other day, he said the propaganda FedEx spews to them is that yrc has 90% market share and that going union would kill FedEx as an LTL carrier. I told him the real story, which isn't as rosy as I would have liked to paint it but the reality is we need more members to make the union strong again, I told him if FedEx were to go union that would throw a wrench into the diabolical plans the industry has for drivers in our near future. I told him that he and all his FedEx brothers better hurry up because if yrc goes down so does any chance of organizing FedEx.

Funny how this came up!

Talked to a FedEx guy in my run the other day, he said the propaganda FedEx spews to them is that yrc has 90% market share and that going union would kill FedEx as an LTL carrier. I told him the real story, which isn't as rosy as I would have liked to paint it but the reality is we need more members to make the union strong again, I told him if FedEx were to go union that would throw a wrench into the diabolical plans the industry has for drivers in our near future. I told him that he and all his FedEx brothers better hurry up because if yrc goes down so does any chance of organizing FedEx.

Fella. You need to stop posting. You don't make sense. And are kinda flat wrong a lot.

Leave it to the other guy. Typing out thoughts isn't working very well for you.

Funny how this came up!

What exactly does YRC have a 90% share of ? They don't even own a 90% share of YRC. The banks own that mess and the moment they are done funding it the joy ride is over. Chase already fired the CEO responsible for getting them buried in that mess. What if anything intelligent are you trying to say ?

Fella. You need to stop posting. You don't make sense. And are kinda flat wrong a lot.

Leave it to the other guy. Typing out thoughts isn't working very well for you.
Is that what you want? I will, but state I highspeeds make the decision for others too!

Because YRC already has a contract and other than the concessions we took there are no issues that a contract and the grievance procedure can't fix. Can you say that about Conway? Can you walk into a office when you are being talked to about something you did wrong during the day with your union rep and get a fair shake on discipline? Or are you just going to take your lumps and have management rack up your points that could go back years and get walked out just because they don't like the socks you are wearing.

But if things had went the other way and YRC would have closed shop everyone here would have been here posting that the union closed down YRC, that the union didn't help all those Teamsters that lost their jobs.
Well gentlemen the Teamsters helped YRC survive, YRC came to the union for assistance, then we VOTED on our concessions, no one came and just TOOK them like they took part of your raise. So regardless of how the anti's spin it and twist it around US as union members helped YRC out and saved our company.
Something else that is interesting that you bring up, You state that as a result of YRC concessions it burdens the whole industry. But something you might fail to see is that when all things were great and unionized companies where making money then SO WERE THE NON-UNIONS such as Conway. You also fail to see that it's the non-unions that bring the industry and work standards down. This is why there is a lot here for me beerfd. We need to bring these standards back up.

Because YRC already has a contract and other than the concessions we took there are no issues that a contract and the grievance procedure can't fix. Can you say that about Conway? Can you walk into a office when you are being talked to about something you did wrong during the day with your union rep and get a fair shake on discipline? Or are you just going to take your lumps and have management rack up your points that could go back years and get walked out just because they don't like the socks you are wearing.
That's not even realistic...if you worked here, you would know that. I work for them, do what they want, and take my check home every week. No probs. for me. For some maybe, but not me. And there is no standard for socks.

But if things had went the other way and YRC would have closed shop everyone here would have been here posting that the union closed down YRC, that the union didn't help all those Teamsters that lost their jobs.
Well gentlemen the Teamsters helped YRC survive, YRC came to the union for assistance, then we VOTED on our concessions, no one came and just TOOK them like they took part of your raise. So regardless of how the anti's spin it and twist it around US as union members helped YRC out and saved our company.

You also fail to see that it's the non-unions that bring the industry and work standards down.

I agree. Union did it's job as far a protect their jobs. But I also realize it came at a heavy cost.

At the moment. In the LTL segment. It is the non-unions leading the way. OD has emerged as the one to beat. And they are growing out of control. Way faster than they can even handle.

Something else that is interesting that you bring up, You state that as a result of YRC concessions it burdens the whole industry. But something you might fail to see is that when all things were great and unionized companies where making money then SO WERE THE NON-UNIONS such as Conway. You also fail to see that it's the non-unions that bring the industry and work standards down. This is why there is a lot here for me beerfd. We need to bring these standards back up.
We just got a raise and the bonus is looking good for this year..we don't want to vote on concessions...why don't you leave before you get your feelings hurt..There is nothing here for you.

I agree. Union did it's job as far a protect their jobs. But I also realize it came at a heavy cost.

At the moment. In the LTL segment. It is the non-unions leading the way. OD has emerged as the one to beat. And they are growing out of control. Way faster than they can even handle.

OD is the reason we in DFW got a good raise, not the union.

That's not even realistic...if you worked here, you would know that. I work for them, do what they want, and take my check home every week. No probs. for me. For some maybe, but not me. And there is no standard for socks.

Whats your position there? Driver, dock, hostler, supervisor, manager? If your the latter of the list then of course your going to say that everything is peachy and there are no problems for you.

We just got a raise and the bonus is looking good for this year..we don't want to vote on concessions...why don't you leave before you get your feelings hurt..There is nothing here for you.

Sound to me like your the one with a hurt feeling. You keep telling me to leave and that there's nothing here for me. You've never had to deal with a real organizer before huh!

If you can't handle the truth then send someone that can.

Whats your position there? Driver, dock, hostler, supervisor, manager? If your the latter of the list then of course your going to say that everything is peachy and there are no problems for you.
Driver, dock, hostler..we do it all. One Seniority board. That's the best way..and yes, everything is peachy for me. Your not going to tell ME anything that I would be interested in.

Sound to me like your the one with a hurt feeling. You keep telling me to leave and that there's nothing here for me. You've never had to deal with a real organizer before huh!

Organize all you want..don't let me stand in your way. I don't care.