Yellow | union carriers hiring school grads?

wyomingkid

TB Lurker
Credits
friend from roadway told me that alot of the union carriers are hiring kids right out of school. thats a shame its come to that.

wyomingkid said:
friend from roadway told me that alot of the union carriers are hiring kids right out of school. thats a shame its come to that.
Hey wyokid........I think that RDWY wants drivers with at least 2 years exp........I can't speak for ABF, UPS, Yellow, New Penn, USF..........etc. DS.

I do it believe it has! The changes in the trucking industry (especially non-union) with the HOS and law enforcement, have scared people away.

Our 75% is less than the big non-union carriers are paying. Couple that with nights, weekends, and the very strong of a layoff within a few months after hiring, can you blame them?

Alot of things need to change. Mindsets being one of them. You cannot expect someone to hire on, lay them off, and get them back whenever. Those days are over.

To Roadways credit, the equipment has gotten much better. However, no one knows it. No advertising, and lets face it, the rank and file are not bragging to the others about the job. It all starts with us!!

i was told from a good source that cinn,ohio along with many were having trouble finding qualified drivers and so having to hire school kids. that in a way makes me mad seeing i can't seem to get hired on with 15 years and a clean driving record.

If that is true I feel sorry for that kid when he tried to retire with 25 years in @ an early age. The pay out for insurance will will cause him to work till 30 and with the Social Security pushing the age up more & more he'll still be too young.

All I have to say is "invest early young people, invest early" cause you'll gonna need it.

wyomingkid said:

What I hear at the Relay in Winston is that they cant find any applicants with a clean record.......They were hiring but could not find all they wanted.....

Maybe if we had better trucks and paid more we would not have a problem. Just saw cr england is paying 50 cents a mile as of aug 1st .

A year and a half ago my sleeper partner was off sick and the x-board driver they sent with me was hired by BigR out of Kankakee Community College. He was 22 and pretty damn good for a driver straight out of school. He said his instructor was a retired Yellow driver. He's still with us at 309 and doing well.

I have a friend with a "perfect license" tried to get him on with Roadway twice, the human resources girl won't call him back....what I am saying is maybe the hiring people need to buck up a little and look at incoming applications. Roadway is saying they cant find qualified drivers, but when they apply for a job they never call them back or sometimes it's up to 4 months. Nobody in their right mind is going to wait that long for a slim chance at getting a job...I think its partly Roadway's fault, human resources in particlular, that they cant find the people to fill the jobs.

In KC (342) i think they will hire high school grads, but only as dock casauls

I think the biggest problem is Old Roadway way of thinking. 29 days and you where let go before you joined the union. People don't forget stuff like that.

671CityBoy said:
What I hear at the Relay in Winston is that they cant find any applicants with a clean record.......They were hiring but could not find all they wanted.....
Funny, they didnt offer transfers there, I would have jumped at the chance to transfer in as a driver.:rockon:

serta said:
Funny, they didnt offer transfers there, I would have jumped at the chance to transfer in as a driver.:rockon:

The Relay at Winston was a loosing Relay in the COO

yes d.s. thats to bad that they are looking at school grads and they wont overlook a simple non drug or driving, non violent offense that a man committed 5 years ago, not to mention a perfect safety and driving record.

yo wyoming...

do you think that maybe they won't hire you is because they can't get you bonded????

lot's of good people get shot down like kamikazees because the bonding company won't pick them up....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

In Kansas City, they hired 3 without CDL's. Offered to send the to Yellow's school in Wichita, 2 didn't even show up for school.

671 hired two guys that did check out........after 1 run one of them said that "It's not what I was looking for". Intrested drivers need to know this is "on call" work and you will be driving nights and weekends. But it's a good paycheck with paid insurance and pension. DS.

YO wyoming....

have you ben involved in any kind of insurance payout?????

workmen's comp claim or any other monetary loss to a company?????

that will put a big red flag up......

aint nothin' you can do about it as they don't have to give you a reason why they shoot you down.....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee