FedEx Freight | Union cool aid drinkers

Seems like the union drive has lost momentum

• Agree

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
Correct in regards to the higher the hourly wage the larger the union due paid. However you don't get a say in how the union dues gathered by the union are utilized. It's about control, leverage and influence and of course political payouts.
Do you think your hard work is not helping your company make political contributions and also pay lobbyists in DC. ? (do that homework they told you to do but do it about them. It's out there in their financials). I don't care what they do with their money anymore than I do about what the unions do with their money and if I pay a lawyer to write me a contract I don't care how he spends his money either. I guess I am the only one left working here that was told I would keep certain benefits ("you will be grandfathered in") and also receive certain others benefits (enrollment into "the" pension plan, which would have been the old Freight west or Viking plan) if I continued to work here. Well now here I am with nothing in writing. I guess that is what you get these days trusting a company that uses things like subject to change at our discretion.

Wow Ex, You're starting to think more like me, every day. :1036316054: I would much prefer that. Personally the only area where I think we'd be better off with the company providing for us, would be improved health insurance, as the return on investment, would seem to be greater. :shift:

Swamp, I think we are on the same page a lot regarding the problems, it's the solutions where we don't seem to align. :)

Your customers could care less what your labor affiliation is. They don't want your labor troubles at their place of business.

Labor troubles at their place of business would include stupid things like refusing to wear their safety vest to make a pick up...calling your dispatcher and telling them to send somebody else. Then being ordered to wear it per your TM and filing a grievance over that. Yeah, that's the labor troubles your customers don't want. Their freight being held captive during a strike. Their freight being delayed during a "work safe slow-down". Don't kid yourself, there are lots of shippers and consignees that would not have a union carrier at their facility if they were choosing the carrier. There would also be some who would only utilize union carriers if they could.

I started out not liking you, but I now have a great deal of respect for you. So I feel like we can have a civil debate. I will admit I'm missing a couple of facts, such as how much will he draw at retirement based on $21,000 annual contribution? But here are some numbers to think about. These are posted with no inflation for either side, that will make the numbers bigger but shouldn't affect the point I'm trying to make. His company contributes $21,000 a year to his pension that's $735,000 after 35 years. (I came up with the 35 as an average starting driving at 22 and retiring at 67) I don't know what he will draw you will have fill that in. If the company contributes a max combined annual of $6000 a year for 35 years at 7% that's $951,540 (from 1978 to 2013 the market had averaged 11.85% actual return base on what I could find). But let's use 7%. Based on that and drawing the recommended annual amount of 4% that's $38,061 a year or $3171.80 a month plus Fedex's pension. If the annual return is higher that number climbs quickly. Plus if you get killed on the way home from your retirement party your next of kin gets you 401K.
You might want to ponder this awhile. Go to the link I provided earlier and look up the "PEER" program. Most of us retire long before our 60th birthday let alone work until 67. Age plus years of service. Check it out.

Most, if not all of our customers are non-union, I'm sure they'll side with the company.
Drivers are required to take a 30 min lunch break, if they choose to sleep on that break that's their business.

Thug = a common criminal, one who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire

Never heard of a non-union thug getting violent or rough.
You might want to brush up on your history.

Labor troubles at their place of business would include stupid things like refusing to wear their safety vest to make a pick up...calling your dispatcher and telling them to send somebody else. Then being ordered to wear it per your TM and filing a grievance over that. Yeah, that's the labor troubles your customers don't want. Their freight being held captive during a strike. Their freight being delayed during a "work safe slow-down". Don't kid yourself, there are lots of shippers and consignees that would not have a union carrier at their facility if they were choosing the carrier. There would also be some who would only utilize union carriers if they could.
Well if the driver don't want to wear their stinking filthy old vest so be it. At least the man has an option. What you got ?
Tm can go pound sand as far as i care let him come put it on.
Hold their freight captive you bet sure gets their attention and your's too.......
So you support not working safe and following the company rules ? What happens when you don't follow Freddies rules ? You get the one way walk...
Customers could care less who brings their freight all they care about is Price,Damage Free and on time

Do you think your hard work is not helping your company make political contributions and also pay lobbyists in DC. ? (do that homework they told you to do but do it about them. It's out there in their financials). I don't care what they do with their money anymore than I do about what the unions do with their money and if I pay a lawyer to write me a contract I don't care how he spends his money either.

My hard work and my money are two very different things

Yes I am aware that companies make political contributions and I could care less what they do with "their" money. I'm not paying dues to the company.

Well if the driver don't want to wear their stinking filthy old vest so be it. At least the man has an option. What you got ?
Tm can go pound sand as far as i care let him come put it on.
Hold their freight captive you bet sure gets their attention and your's too.......
So you support not working safe and following the company rules ? What happens when you don't follow Freddies rules ? You get the one way walk...
Customers could care less who brings their freight all they care about is Price,Damage Free and on time
But unlike most LTL companies, we don't have set routes per driver in the city, we have start times. The drivers run whatever routes are ready when their start time comes up, therefor every driver is proficient at every route. Good luck to the union thugs deciphering which drivers are pro and which ones are anti when they decide to follow and harass our drivers and customers!
I can see it already, the union thugs following and harassing a pro-union driver, thus turning him against the union!

My hard work and my money are two very different things

Yes I am aware that companies make political contributions and I could care less what they do with "their" money. I'm not paying dues to the company.
I am not getting from the company (in return for my hard work) what I was told I would be getting. I guess you are happy because you are getting what you expected. I am not. Let the company tell me I am not getting these things because they are not making money. Tell them to give me any good reason and ask them why they didn't hold up their end of the deal to begin with. I show up every day and do a great job for them and I am in no way a slacker. I do care where FDX corporate money goes, for one I am a share holder and when it's not going to the people it was supposed to (those that were told they would receive certain benefits and those that deserve better) then it's just not right. I would like something in writing from here on out so please tell me how I can get that without a union.

That may be at your location but not company wide.
Here we go again with the union thugs maybe I just don't get it. I have never met one after 34 years of due's paying maybe I should look into this to help the cause.

That may be at your location but not company wide.
Here we go again with the union thugs maybe I just don't get it. I have never met one after 34 years of due's paying maybe I should look into this to help the cause.
Just send a certified letter to the union asking to revoke your union membership, you'll meet one sooner than you'd like!

But unlike most LTL companies, we don't have set routes per driver in the city, we have start times. The drivers run whatever routes are ready when their start time comes up, therefor every driver is proficient at every route. Good luck to the union thugs deciphering which drivers are pro and which ones are anti when they decide to follow and harass our drivers and customers!
I can see it already, the union thugs following and harassing a pro-union driver, thus turning him against the union!
Most companies prefer the same drivers. Don't kid yourself. I had many clerks tell me they hate to see new people show up. You will not be proficient going somewhere different everyday. Sure you can make a delivery but you won't find the place, hit the right driveway, find the right dock/door see the right person, even 1/2 the time. Ask the customers how they feel about it and find out the truth. I have heard the truth for about 30 years now. Please prove me wrong. That is managements story, that's not the truth

I am not getting from the company (in return for my hard work) what I was told I would be getting. I guess you are happy because you are getting what you expected. I am not. Let the company tell me I am not getting these things because they are not making money. Tell them to give me any good reason and ask them why they didn't hold up their end of the deal to begin with. I show up every day and do a great job for them and I am in no way a slacker. I do care where FDX corporate money goes, for one I am a share holder and when it's not going to the people it was supposed to (those that were told they would receive certain benefits) then it's just not right. I would like something in writing from here on out so please tell me how I can get that without a union.

Just so I understand, you want something in writing from the company that will hold them accountable to the promises they make. You also want to hold them accountable as to how they spend/invest their profits because your a shareholder?

What was their end of the deal that was not upheld? What have you said to management and what was the answer. Just to say that the company did not hold up their end of the commitment is vague.

Any shareholder in a corporation has the right to propose a course of action for the company. Although your proposal would probably be considered non-binding, it would be a clear indication to others of where you stand.

Most companies prefer the same drivers. Don't kid yourself. I had many clerks tell me they hate to see new people show up. You will not be proficient going somewhere different everyday. Sure you can make a delivery but you won't find the place, hit the right driveway, find the right dock/door see the right person, even 1/2 the time. Ask the customers how they feel about it and find out the truth. I have heard the truth for about 30 years now. Please prove me wrong. That is managements story, that's not the truth
You obviously don't run the city in CLT, that's exactly how we operate. Under your way, if a driver is out then whoever fills in isn't as efficient as the "route" driver, under our system it doesn't matter, everybody can run every route.

Years back companies hired thugs to break labors organizing efforts. Very violent and very bloody.
Like the ones that beat that lady Overnite driver in the bathroom at the terminal in Salt Lake .
Then try to blame it on the Teamsters.
But reddy racer says non union people are not thugs and don't do this type of thing.
Somebody ain't telling the truth here !!!!!!!!

Like the ones that beat that lady Overnite driver in the bathroom at the terminal in Salt Lake .
Then try to blame it on the Teamsters.
But reddy racer says non union people are not thugs and don't do this type of thing.
Somebody ain't telling the truth here !!!!!!!!
Or like the union thug who threw a brick through the Overnite's driver's windshield while he was driving down the road just because he crossed the picket line to work so he could provide for his family?