FedEx Freight | Union cool aid drinkers

Seems like the union drive has lost momentum

• Agree

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
Well if the driver don't want to wear their stinking filthy old vest so be it. At least the man has an option. What you got ?
Tm can go pound sand as far as i care let him come put it on.
Hold their freight captive you bet sure gets their attention and your's too.......
So you support not working safe and following the company rules ? What happens when you don't follow Freddies rules ? You get the one way walk...
Customers could care less who brings their freight all they care about is Price,Damage Free and on time

Actually, if you want to step foot in that facility you need to wear a safety vest of the appropriate color. If the little man with the attitude doesn't want to wear it, fine. They'll give the freight to another carrier with a driver with a better attitude.

Yeah, he tried to tell the TM to pound sand. Ended up wearing the vest and filing a grievance. Not looking good.

I support working in a safe manner, not being a 3rd-grade little boy walking real slow to his time out corner. Grown-ass men acting like spoiled little boys pouting when they don't get their way.

Actually, if you want to step foot in that facility you need to wear a safety vest of the appropriate color. If the little man with the attitude doesn't want to wear it, fine. They'll give the freight to another carrier with a driver with a better attitude.

Yeah, he tried to tell the TM to pound sand. Ended up wearing the vest and filing a grievance. Not looking good.

I support working in a safe manner, not being a 3rd-grade little boy walking real slow to his time out corner. Grown-ass men acting like spoiled little boys pouting when they don't get their way.
Yeah, I hear you there. We've been watching management stomp their feet for years because they didn't get their way.

That $21,000 goes into a general fund & you get x amount of dollars (I don't know the # off hand thinking $140)for every year of service.Say the # was $100 per year in 10 years you would receive $1,000 per month when you hit retirement age....

I've seen the number $105 a month per year bandied around (not my number mind you) you mean to tell me people in different parts of the country get a different amount??

Last edited:
Thanks Man, I don't feel any need to check your facts, as I trust you've checked them. and I'm always willing to learn. I do have to point out a couple of things, for you to consider:

1) That 6k contribution (3.5k 401k plus 2.5k pension) was used as example based on a (relatively high) annual income of 100,000, and is a ballpark MAXIMUM available to a relatively few road drivers. City drivers don't make that. Also, there is almost NO way any driver could make that for the entire 35 years, as that (generally) requires significant seniority to move up to that.

2) I believe the union plans are "defined" benefit plans that guarantee a certain benefit regardless of market fluctuations. I assume that makes it a more expensive plan, with a comparatively lower return. Correct?

3) The "worse case scenario" you mentioned, involving the death of the recent retiree. That retiree would be better served with a life insurance policy, as the more significant income potential from said pension, would more than offset the cost of insurance. But the benefit you state, IS, in fact, a benefit. I cannot deny that.

Question: Why does his plan not show any gain from interest? As opposed to ours that gains significantly from compounding interest. Someone is gaining from the interest earned surely reinvested into the solvency of the plan, right?

Sorry it took so long to reply its been a crazy weekend. I'm just using the numbers I have been given on here. Look I fully understand how the 401K works and I understand not every driver makes a hundred thousand a year. The point I'm attempting to make (which a lot on here hate me for) is the pro side loves to say they never lie, but what was posted just wasn't true. If you made a cursory reading, you would think that the guy getting $21,000 a year is getting more than the guy getting $6000, but if you compound interest it tells a whole different story. Now I will concede that the union guy has nothing directly coming out of his check the non guy has to contribute and that does affect your bottom line. I'm in a union retirement plan and its pay out works totally different than the ones your familiar with, but if I put a pencil to it sometimes I think would be better off if my employer contributed even a portion of what he pays to to my pension to a 401K I would be better off.

To answer your last question about his plan and compound interest. In a defined plans interest earned has no direct bearing on him, he gets so much per month based on years of service, interest earned by the plan strengthens the plan but doesn't (or shouldn't) affect his pay out. Where that's the strength of the 401K.

You obviously don't run the city in CLT, that's exactly how we operate. Under your way, if a driver is out then whoever fills in isn't as efficient as the "route" driver, under our system it doesn't matter, everybody can run every route.
I don't run city in CLT either, but, then why do you always see in the booklets they pass out with letters from customers always thanking the driver that comes there on a daily basis and always going that extra step to ensure they have a quality experience? Just because we bid start times instead of routes doesn't mean that drivers don't go to the same places day in day out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I don't run city in CLT either, but, then why do you always see in the booklets they pass out with letters from customers always thanking the driver that comes there on a daily basis and always going that extra step to ensure they have a quality experience? Just because we bid start times instead of routes doesn't mean that drivers don't go to the same places day in day out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Again, in some cases they do go the same place, some cases they don't. If they come in and that said route isn't ready, they go somewhere else that day. Gone are the days where you come in and wait on your bid route to be closed, you now take what's ready....there's no guarantee that your going the same place everyday like it used to be....so back to my point, the thugs won't know which routes to follow.

There are several plans through out the country I don't know what central states or the western pension fund gets, that's how the one I'm in the central Pennsylvania pension fund....

There are several plans through out the country I don't know what central states or the western pension fund gets, that's how the one I'm in the central Pennsylvania pension fund....

I was poking the bear a little sorry! I just thought the prevailing thought was everybody should make the same everywhere.

I was poking the bear a little sorry! I just thought the prevailing thought was everybody should make the same everywhere.
Nothing to be sorry about, I would also like to know what the other plans pay out.... I'm in one of the better ones from what I understand....

In fact, a majority did support this movement (at the centers in question), thus petitions were filed. The truth is that many, THEN took the company representatives at their word, that positive change will come, if given a chance. Yes, a few became unsure of the Union. The burden now shifts to the Company, to keep those no votes, in the no columns. Perhaps even sway yes voters into the no column, should be their goal. Just my opinion, but I have corroborating accounts to base that opinion on.
Well said swamp!!

But unlike most LTL companies, we don't have set routes per driver in the city, we have start times. The drivers run whatever routes are ready when their start time comes up, therefor every driver is proficient at every route. Good luck to the union thugs deciphering which drivers are pro and which ones are anti when they decide to follow and harass our drivers and customers!
I can see it already, the union thugs following and harassing a pro-union driver, thus turning him against the union!

EVERY driver is NEVER proficient at every route. Adequate, maybe. Dispatch knows that, the drivers know that, and so should you.

You obviously don't run the city in CLT, that's exactly how we operate. Under your way, if a driver is out then whoever fills in isn't as efficient as the "route" driver, under our system it doesn't matter, everybody can run every route.

We do things somewhat similar... To a point, within general areas. There are always drivers who know multiple routes. Every driver knows a few routes. There is always a driver that can cove for vacations. sick days etc. All drivers know some areas better than others.

There is NO REASON to discount the advantage of being intimately familiar with your specific route, those specific customers, and their specific needs. THAT is among the most important parts of customer service. THAT is often what sets company A apart from the others. CONSISTENCY, RELATIONSHIPS, FAMILIARITY. Not to mention much more efficient, and less stressful for all involved. Driver, Customer, Dispatcher.

Exactly...you don't bid on routes like we did back in the day, you now run whatever route is given....thanks for proving my point.
Not saying they do but which is it....first it's the customer doesn't care who moves their frt as long as it's damage free and on time, now it's the customer wants the same driver every day?
Sounds contradicting to me.
Not at all. The customer prefers consistency, and a working relationship. The tolerate less, as long as price and service is adequate. THEY do, in fact, complain about random drivers, showing up daily.

You think it's fine to take whatever route you are given? How about we do the same for the road? After all, any driver can run anything...

Sorry it took so long to reply its been a crazy weekend. I'm just using the numbers I have been given on here. Look I fully understand how the 401K works and I understand not every driver makes a hundred thousand a year. The point I'm attempting to make (which a lot on here hate me for) is the pro side loves to say they never lie, but what was posted just wasn't true. If you made a cursory reading, you would think that the guy getting $21,000 a year is getting more than the guy getting $6000, but if you compound interest it tells a whole different story. Now I will concede that the union guy has nothing directly coming out of his check the non guy has to contribute and that does affect your bottom line. I'm in a union retirement plan and its pay out works totally different than the ones your familiar with, but if I put a pencil to it sometimes I think would be better off if my employer contributed even a portion of what he pays to to my pension to a 401K I would be better off.

To answer your last question about his plan and compound interest. In a defined plans interest earned has no direct bearing on him, he gets so much per month based on years of service, interest earned by the plan strengthens the plan but doesn't (or shouldn't) affect his pay out. Where that's the strength of the 401K.
I actually understand, and agree. I do appreciate the numbers you provide. Because our pension has only existed a few years, it's benefit to me is minimal, and I would likely benefit more from a defined benefit plan. I would also prefer that $ went into 401k. Probably not a HUGE difference, but it would allow some say as to where it was invested.

Again, in some cases they do go the same place, some cases they don't. If they come in and that said route isn't ready, they go somewhere else that day. Gone are the days where you come in and wait on your bid route to be closed, you now take what's ready....there's no guarantee that your going the same place everyday like it used to be....so back to my point, the thugs won't know which routes to follow.
It's weird at our terminal I guess we operate on a different level. We bid on start times and get the same route we run everyday. None of this run every route business. Somehow our inbound team has found a way to insure that we are not waiting for the route to close. We have found that our customers like to see the same driver everyday as well.

Spitting hairs aren't you?

Proficient: competent or skilled in doing/using something.

Adequate: satisfactory or acceptable in quality.
Nice... But I like these definitions better, as they are more complete.

pro·fi·cient: : good at doing something. : well advanced in an art, occupation, or branch of knowledge http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proficient

ad·e·quate : enough for some need or requirement : good enough : of a quality that is good or acceptable : of a quality that is acceptable but not better than acceptable http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adequate

Anyone who thinks that totally different or random routes for drivers, daily, is the most efficient plan, is just blowing smoke, IMHO.

In my opinion the only reason for doing so (temporarily), is to compile numbers, as to the average time at each (specific) stop, thereby creating (more) accurate goals, for a given route. :onthego:

Nice... But I like these definitions better, as they are more complete.

pro·fi·cient: : good at doing something. : well advanced in an art, occupation, or branch of knowledge http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proficient

ad·e·quate : enough for some need or requirement : good enough : of a quality that is good or acceptable : of a quality that is acceptable but not better than acceptable http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adequate

Anyone who thinks that totally different or random routes for drivers, daily, is the most efficient plan, is just blowing smoke, IMHO.

In my opinion the only reason for doing so (temporarily), is to compile numbers, as to the average time at each (specific) stop, thereby creating (more) accurate goals, for a given rou

Did you really just post links for the definitions of those two words?

Surely as intelligent as you seem to be you didn't have to look those up online to find a better way to word them.

As for different drivers being efficient on different routes I agree it wold not be expidiant at first. However we are professionals and should be able to navigate an unfamiliar run/route and service the customer without having major issues. I think it is in the best interest of both the company and the driver to have that flexibility. Markets change daily and so do cusomers needs. Cross training the drivers will always be a good thing.