XPO | Union Debate and News

White Shirt

TB Regular
Credits
Its been mentioned before. How about we create 1 thread devoted to the union debate and news? There are far too many threads on this forum that just get off topic and people can't get all the information they are looking for.Anyone can post their opinion. Please don't post anything as fact unless you can back it up with documentation. Keep the name calling out of this thread, lets keep it civil and calm.

Wonder how long this will last. One union thread.

These guys are all jacked up on Mountain Dew. They are about to go spider monkey on someone's butt. - Talledega Nights

My debate against the union has nothing to do with the union or the company. I don't feel the drivers are willing or able to see this through. Most of them are in it for the wrong reasons. And remember, just because the guy gets upset and signs a card.... that don't mean months later he won't change his mind when it comes time to vote.

All year we hear about how so and so is gonna bid this or that. And then they do the opposite. Just to upset everyone. The mindset is not right to make this work. These people are not unified.

Wonder how long this will last. One union thread.

These guys are all jacked up on Mountain Dew. They are about to go spider monkey on someone's butt. - Talledega Nights

My debate against the union has nothing to do with the union or the company. I don't feel the drivers are willing or able to see this through. Most of them are in it for the wrong reasons. And remember, just because the guy gets upset and signs a card.... that don't mean months later he won't change his mind when it comes time to vote.

All year we hear about how so and so is gonna bid this or that. And then they do the opposite. Just to upset everyone. The mindset is not right to make this work. These people are not unified.

I totally agree. Hopefully they can keep this thread civilized.

Its been mentioned before. How about we create 1 thread devoted to the union debate and news? There are far too many threads on this forum that just get off topic and people can't get all the information they are looking for.Anyone can post their opinion. Please don't post anything as fact unless you can back it up with documentation. Keep the name calling out of this thread, lets keep it civil and calm.
I guess another obvious rule would be for white shirts to stay out. It has nothing to do with you in the slightest.

Ok, here is my suggestion. We're facing the worst economic times since Carter, maybe worse. Money is tight and so are profit margins. Why don't we just put the whole union thing on hold until profit margins increase and wait and see how the company treats us. If they don't treat us better as the economy comes back, then perhaps the pro-union crowd could resume the push. The union cannot secure any more money or benefits for anyone as long as there isn't enough profit from which to pull it from.

the unions had their biggest gains in the 30's, as companies took advantage of a horrible economy, much like today. why would workers wait to organize at the companies convenience?

Ok, here is my suggestion. We're facing the worst economic times since Carter, maybe worse. Money is tight and so are profit margins. Why don't we just put the whole union thing on hold until profit margins increase and wait and see how the company treats us. If they don't treat us better as the economy comes back, then perhaps the pro-union crowd could resume the push. The union cannot secure any more money or benefits for anyone as long as there isn't enough profit from which to pull it from.
Profit margins are tight Lmao that's why they more than doubled their's in the second quarter .OH and NO!!!!!!!!!!!! WE are not going to wait!

wait for what so they can drop another 750 million on whatever they want,and then have us pay for it,so they they can tell us how the company is struggling,not a chance,i guess your all for three classes of people poor,poorer,and rich get richer,no thank you,sign a card vote yes.have a great day.

you say you are mgt and you are here for what reason?you cannot give influince one way or the other,on the subject of a union,this is between the drivers,not mgt.

I am guessing, some of you do not realize that most { not all } of the wage and benefit take aways were started in the 90"s. Look back at the package then and compare to now. The time that Con-way was posting record profits for 13 years straight, is also when our wages and benefits started going backwards. The economic downturn just gave them the abillity to put the plan in overdrive, because they knew that a large portion of their employees would not turn against them. I have worked for Con-way for 22 years and I cannot name 1 decision good for us or bad that the drivers have not went right along with them. Think about that. No matter what: We have never laid down, rest assured they know it, and use that fact to there advantage daily. Personally I don't know if the ship can be turned, we should have been paying attention long before now. Good day all.

I am guessing, some of you do not realize that most { not all } of the wage and benefit take aways were started in the 90"s. Look back at the package then and compare to now. The time that Con-way was posting record profits for 13 years straight, is also when our wages and benefits started going backwards. The economic downturn just gave them the abillity to put the plan in overdrive, because they knew that a large portion of their employees would not turn against them. I have worked for Con-way for 22 years and I cannot name 1 decision good for us or bad that the drivers have not went right along with them. Think about that. No matter what: We have never laid down, rest assured they know it, and use that fact to there advantage daily. Personally I don't know if the ship can be turned, we should have been paying attention long before now. Good day all.

I agree, chunky. It all started with the incentive pay for no use of the sick days. The big stuff came with the 1% insurance ploy. The idea that customers balked at it so they must get it from me may be believed by others but not I. Most folks can't recognize a 1% increase on a freight bill unless stated..

'atta boy..

we wont sit down and shut up anymore,we have no other option get used to it, its coming and you can not stop it.

I don't want you to sit down and shut up. I want you to get a clue and grow up. There is nothing for me to get used to. This will fail miserably. Because you are all miserable failures. This whole idea is so misconcieved. I cannot wait for a vote to happen.

You have mentioned you haven't worked here long. You don't seem to have any knowledge of the past union involvement. I am figuring you are some young new guy that hasn't found out that this is the wrong place to be. Plenty of better wheels to be had. And if you really wanna work for a union, there are plenty of union wheels. Just walk in and apply. You can have a job and a union as soon as the backround check passes.

you say you are mgt and you are here for what reason?you cannot give influince one way or the other,on the subject of a union,this is between the drivers,not mgt.

I welcome his insight. He sees and understands the problems. You have no right to tell anyone to sit down and shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's absolutely comical how they portray signing a card to solving everything. Rediculous.

when my grass grows in my yard, the first thing i do is put gasoline in my mower. that does not automatically trim the grass. HOWEVER, it is the first step in correcting a problem. just like signing a card is the first step in correcting the perceived problem here.

I can give my opinion. A union in my workplace affects my job more than you think. I have worked for a Union carrier and wish never to have to do it again. If this were to go through most Management would dislike their job and take it out on their employees. I've seen it and you won't like it.

wait for what so they can drop another 750 million on whatever they want,and then have us pay for it,so they they can tell us how the company is struggling,not a chance,i guess your all for three classes of people poor,poorer,and rich get richer,no thank you,sign a card vote yes.have a great day.
I agree, they certainly have been using the economy excuse long enough, some drivers need to wake up.

Thank you for bring up the peanut farmer that put the screws to the LTL industry. This President put more working men and women out of work with the swipe of his pen than any other. And we all are still feeling the affects today.