XPO | Union Debate and News

This would be another very interesting thread topic !
Why would management dislike their jobs ?
I do not wish to bring the brotherhood into this but how would that evil empire change the way you manage ?
I can give my opinion. A union in my workplace affects my job more than you think. I have worked for a Union carrier and wish never to have to do it again. If this were to go through most Management would dislike their job and take it out on their employees. I've seen it and you won't like it.

I do not wish to bring the brotherhood into this but how would that evil empire change the way you manage ?
for 1 thing everything would be by seniority, truck bids & runs, just think if those 2 had to be done everyday.LOL maybe they will hire more supervisors so they can do these 2 things.

Based on my experience it adds more work to everything we do. Getting Stewards involved to disclipline and employee and such. The actual contract could change lots of things.

Based on my experience it adds more work to everything we do. Getting Stewards involved to disclipline and employee and such. The actual contract could change lots of things.

Exactly! Thats the purpose......eliminating petty write ups and wrongful terminations. Not saying you do, but I know you get the drift.

Please tell us what is added to your work load. If you have more work you should feel a bit more secure in your position with the company.
If an employee needs disciplinary action how would having a steward present change anything ?
Give us all some examples not just everything we do and such.
Example like I am a billing clerk and when its slow or I am out of bills to rate I may not be able to go clean the heads.

Yeah, so you wouldn't be able to indiscriminately discipline someone. You would have to actually follow rules, the dsr would actually have rights like having someone present when being disciplined. You would have to follow senority and not base your assignments on who brought you the donuts this morning. Yeah you white shirts would have to actually have to think before you act and for some that is a pretty heavy increase in work load.

I don't want you to sit down and shut up. I want you to get a clue and grow up. There is nothing for me to get used to. This will fail miserably. Because you are all miserable failures. This whole idea is so misconcieved. I cannot wait for a vote to happen.

You have mentioned you haven't worked here long. You don't seem to have any knowledge of the past union involvement. I am figuring you are some young new guy that hasn't found out that this is the wrong place to be. Plenty of better wheels to be had. And if you really wanna work for a union, there are plenty of union wheels. Just walk in and apply. You can have a job and a union as soon as the backround check passes.
yep brand new,and very young,i still have more miles,backn up than you do going forward,stick around we will be union.

so you dont like getting rid of the kangaroo court,can you tell us whats happens to a mgr who gets to many grievances filed on them?

I welcome his insight. He sees and understands the problems. You have no right to tell anyone to sit down and shut up.
either you are mgmt,or hoping to impress someone.im not sure what to think of someone wanting to surpress the growth of the middle class working people.

Ok, here is my suggestion. We're facing the worst economic times since Carter, maybe worse. Money is tight and so are profit margins. Why don't we just put the whole union thing on hold until profit margins increase and wait and see how the company treats us. If they don't treat us better as the economy comes back, then perhaps the pro-union crowd could resume the push. The union cannot secure any more money or benefits for anyone as long as there isn't enough profit from which to pull it from.
we just made AT LEAST 60 MILLION first 2 qtrs and bought(leased )500 new cascadias off cycle(to not show even bigger profit)we know how they treat us,it's been over 4 1/2 years,sorry times up

I can give my opinion. A union in my workplace affects my job more than you think. I have worked for a Union carrier and wish never to have to do it again. If this were to go through most Management would dislike their job and take it out on their employees. I've seen it and you won't like it.
typical cnwy management scare tactics,the truth is YOU won't like it,drivers will drive and load,and you will have to SUPERVISE,which nowadays i see all our supervisors put that weight on the drivers.drivers typically set up the dock and trailers inspect loads,close trailers,basically do EVERYTHING. and with sco,what do supervisors actuaslly do.we know by the cubing basically how many loads are to be built and so on.our supervisors USED to come in around 7pm to set-up,now they come in around 9pm.they used to be around at 8am when we got back from night l/h,now they're nowhere to be found.one told me they usually close the fac by 4:30am then they're gone,so they went from 10-11 hr days to 7-8 hr days,and way less work ,not putting you down just stating facts.oh and also you have "safestack sme's"inspecting loads,so a supervisor nowadays does exactly what?when one takes off or calls out at our barn a driver (newbie at that)runs the sector

I don't want you to sit down and shut up. I want you to get a clue and grow up. There is nothing for me to get used to. This will fail miserably. Because you are all miserable failures. This whole idea is so misconcieved. I cannot wait for a vote to happen.

You have mentioned you haven't worked here long. You don't seem to have any knowledge of the past union involvement. I am figuring you are some young new guy that hasn't found out that this is the wrong place to be. Plenty of better wheels to be had. And if you really wanna work for a union, there are plenty of union wheels. Just walk in and apply. You can have a job and a union as soon as the backround check passes.
So what do you no about the last union push, lets hear all about it high speed.

If you had the T.M. we had at xmd a little back up would have been nice. I said i would stay out of this fight, but some of you non's our really making me think again. What would be wrong for a dsr to have someone in the office with him? Having someone who makes sure the boss's follow the same rule's that they make us follow?

I have seen over the years that another person sitting in on disciplinary matters only helps.
Some things get heated and tempers appear out of nowhere. You never know what will happen with some people. It also tends to stop " Fishing Expeditions" .
It protects both parties.

Its been mentioned before. How about we create 1 thread devoted to the union debate and news? There are far too many threads on this forum that just get off topic and people can't get all the information they are looking for.Anyone can post their opinion. Please don't post anything as fact unless you can back it up with documentation. Keep the name calling out of this thread, lets keep it civil and calm.
would care to tell us how you will vote,oh thats right i forgot mgmt has to sit this one out.

Why would management dislike their jobs? I do not wish to bring the brotherhood into this but how would that evil empire change the way you manage ?

Not so much the way you must manage, but who you must manage. The environment changes. There is a much wider divide between "us" and "them".

Anyone ever had a supervisor who was related to an Exec? Ever had an incomptent co-worker that made your job more dificult than it needed to be, yet was tolerated because of his/her relationship with the TM?

Try dealing with dificult workers with an attitude of being "untouchable".

The employee who performs their job no differently than before he had union protection, oops representation, didn't need the union to begin with.

Years ago I worked with a shop steward who lost his CDL after a crash and subsequent medical issues. He knew the P&D business well and had the respect of 90+% of the drivers. He was worked dispatch for a stint. The growth and perspective he gained from this experience was fun to see. I imagine it was not much different than it would be for most any dispatcher or manager to walk a mile, so to speak, in a dock/drivers' shoes.

so you dont like getting rid of the kangaroo court,can you tell us whats happens to a mgr who gets to many grievances filed on them?

In my experience nothing. But I wasn't high up in the union company. The issue I have with having a steward present is why can't some people just admit they made a mistake and take the consequences? The Union protects the lazy and stupid. The do some good with the protection but alot of the time they protect the wrong people. Also would you rather be written up in private or take the union way and have it mailed to your house certified mail so your wife and kids know you got written up? In my opionion the union just widen the gap between management and hourly and over protects the ones who don't deserve it.

If you had the T.M. we had at xmd a little back up would have been nice. I said i would stay out of this fight, but some of you non's our really making me think again. What would be wrong for a dsr to have someone in the office with him? Having someone who makes sure the boss's follow the same rule's that they make us follow?

Some management are bad like that. Union shops have bad ones too.

Management doesn't have to sit this out. Many union companies even include the bottom couple steps. It might even be useful to your little campaign to try and include the FOS's. From what I have heard they have been screwed pretty hard themselves. And as you have all mentioned there are so many more of them than there used to be. And they are bounced around and run ragged no different than the rest of us. You need to get votes where ever you can find them.