XPO | Union Debate and News

I have been supervised by a few that used to do the very job I do.
I know what you mean by walking a mile. These people quickly forgot what they used to do and seamed to ride everyone a bit harder, and we quickly found out that this supervisor was now on a different page making his numbers.
Yes your RIGHT the employee that preforms his job no different than before he had a union, did not need it until he had an accident or fell out of favor with management.
Many of these people here that have never had a union job do not understand that doing so does not make them untouchable. It will not cure all their problems.
Not so much the way you must manage, but who you must manage. The environment changes. There is a much wider divide between "us" and "them".

Anyone ever had a supervisor who was related to an Exec? Ever had an incomptent co-worker that made your job more dificult than it needed to be, yet was tolerated because of his/her relationship with the TM?

Try dealing with dificult workers with an attitude of being "untouchable".

The employee who performs their job no differently than before he had union protection, oops representation, didn't need the union to begin with.

Years ago I worked with a shop steward who lost his CDL after a crash and subsequent medical issues. He knew the P&D business well and had the respect of 90+% of the drivers. He was worked dispatch for a stint. The growth and perspective he gained from this experience was fun to see. I imagine it was not much different than it would be for most any dispatcher or manager to walk a mile, so to speak, in a dock/drivers' shoes.

I have no problem with with you sitting in private with someone and have you pass judgement as long as the facts are right. What if this person claimed you reached over the desk and punched him ? Or a threat was made at you and your family ? Now all of a sudden your defending yourself to your HR dept.
Lazy and stupid who hired these people ? Your company! Then take the steps to solve your problem all you need is a proper paper trail. Same as in any business to keep you out of court. Dot your I's and cross your T's.
In my experience nothing. But I wasn't high up in the union company. The issue I have with having a steward present is why can't some people just admit they made a mistake and take the consequences? The Union protects the lazy and stupid. The do some good with the protection but alot of the time they protect the wrong people. Also would you rather be written up in private or take the union way and have it mailed to your house certified mail so your wife and kids know you got written up? In my opionion the union just widen the gap between management and hourly and over protects the ones who don't deserve it.

These people quickly forgot what they used to do and seamed to ride everyone a bit harder, and we quickly found out that this supervisor was now on a different page making his numbers. Yes your RIGHT the employee that preforms his job no different than before he had a union, did not need it until he had an accident or fell out of favor with management. Many of these people here that have never had a union job do not understand that doing so does not make them untouchable. It will not cure all their problems.

Or some of them used to be that lazy p.o.s that took a lunch break while telling dispatch he was waiting for a door, then comes back and takes a lunch on OT right under the dispatchers' nose. Now that same guy is your dispatcher and assumes everyone else is the p.o.s. he was.

Why would somebody who worked just the same as before fall out of favor with management? Management wants people who are efficeint and need little supervision to complete their jobs. It's 20% of the employees who are 80% of the problem.

You know what? Somebody has an accident while DUI needs to be terminated. Somebody who fails a drug test, steals freight, fights or threatens a co-worker deserves to be fired. His union representation shouldn't protect his job under those circumstances.

Lazy and stupid who hired these people?

The supervisor before me....and now there are 10 guys below him on the seniority list. Fun times for all.

Then take the steps to solve your problem all you need is a proper paper trail. Same as in any business to keep you out of court. Dot your I's and cross your T's.

Yeah, so I want to get rid of the slug who just so happens to also have a hard time with punctuality. So I figure that's my easiest path to give him some unpaid time to reflect. Meanwhile one of my best workers shows up 1 minute late and I have to write him up. Doesn't create a very fun work environment when all the discretion is taken away from ones' ability to lead. Fortunately the good guy understands and knows he's not likely to be late again...however, it doesn't do anything to close that gap between us vs. them.

By using your discretion you open yourself and the company up to a day in court. Do you think the company will stand behind you 100% ? I would not want to put my job at risk.
In my dealings with people that can't seem to make it to work or on time, they tend to hang themselves sooner than later and you need to have your paperwork in order. I also believe most problems at work are brought on by to much booze and or drugs then add a divorce and family problems is the root of the problem.
I felt like a social worker most days

We had the driver that sat in the cafe to get his overtime every night did the same thing for years and the company loved him. He ended up a terminal manager in a small growing town with a whole new outlook on life. Road drivers would catch him working on weekends unloading freight so he would not have to pay a dockworker and help him make his numbers.
It's the same everywhere at any trucking company union or non

mgmt is protecting the lazy ones now - they like to keep them around for some reason. Probably they want to keep their snitches.

It's obvious that you do not work here and have know idea how wide the gap is already,its taken about ten years but I think most drivers feel the gap is wide enough and its time for representation to narrow it back up.

Yeah, so I want to get rid of the slug who just so happens to also have a hard time with punctuality. So I figure that's my easiest path to give him some unpaid time to reflect. Meanwhile one of my best workers shows up 1 minute late and I have to write him up. Doesn't create a very fun work environment when all the discretion is taken away from ones' ability to lead. Fortunately the good guy understands and knows he's not likely to be late again...however, it doesn't do anything to close that gap between us vs. them.

Ok, here is my suggestion. We're facing the worst economic times since Carter, maybe worse. Money is tight and so are profit margins. Why don't we just put the whole union thing on hold until profit margins increase and wait and see how the company treats us. If they don't treat us better as the economy comes back, then perhaps the pro-union crowd could resume the push. The union cannot secure any more money or benefits for anyone as long as there isn't enough profit from which to pull it from.

With all Due Respect Our Economy is Tanked can you honestly see a Recovery in the near Future ??? My Opinion is this until Corporate Greed Stops and WE get rid OF Our Corupted Elected Officials Nothin is really going to change !! WE are on the verge of a War !!! and this has been coming since President Clinton s time we have not
had a decent government since Reagan and Before Reagan we Didnt either Both Parties Created this Problem we live in today !!

Anyone ever wonder why YRC has 32000 employees and Con-way has 20,500 and moves more freight? Maybe thats why they lose money? just wondering

Could it be that YRC uses less interline and outside contractors ....
The money question may point to much poorer supervision and poor management decisions. My understanding is YRC has a much lower labor cost than the rest at least for now .
Anyone ever wonder why YRC has 32000 employees and Con-way has 20,500 and moves more freight? Maybe thats why they lose money? just wondering

That employee count at yrc includes the regionals. You are taking the employee count from the whole company but using the freight volume of one company. Break it into regions and conway can't even touch the volume that holland hauls in the midwest.

In my experience nothing. But I wasn't high up in the union company. The issue I have with having a steward present is why can't some people just admit they made a mistake and take the consequences? The Union protects the lazy and stupid. The do some good with the protection but alot of the time they protect the wrong people. Also would you rather be written up in private or take the union way and have it mailed to your house certified mail so your wife and kids know you got written up? In my opionion the union just widen the gap between management and hourly and over protects the ones who don't deserve it.
Actually I like it when the company delivers it certified mail. I like to refuse it and make the company pay the postage. If I'm written up for something stupid and without warrant (99% of the time), I put it on the fridge right next to the kids artwork.

That employee count at yrc includes the regionals. You are taking the employee count from the whole company but using the freight volume of one company. Break it into regions and conway can't even touch the volume that holland hauls in the midwest.

I was just going by the number I have seen. Thanks for the insight.

I can give my opinion. A union in my workplace affects my job more than you think. I have worked for a Union carrier and wish never to have to do it again. If this were to go through most Management would dislike their job and take it out on their employees. I've seen it and you won't like it.
I will tell you right here and now, Mr. White Shirt. That little attitude of yours is exactly why unions exist. Let me take a guess. You worked at CF. right? Why would most management "dislike" their jobs? Educate our future members. Would it be because their unbridled power would cease to exist? Would it be because they would no longer be able to bully, intimidate, provoke, terminate, discriminate, anyone they they so choose? Would it be because they would no longer be able to manage any way they see fit in order to make some regional director happy? Would it be because there are rules to follow, and reprecussions if not? Or would it be just simple ego, getting in the way of common sense? You know what I'M talking about. A business agent jumping on your dock in the middle of the night, and putting a supervisor in his place for disrespecting a member. And to quote you. "I have seen it and you won't like it". So that attitude cuts both ways. TE out....

Could it be that YRC uses less interline and outside contractors ....
The money question may point to much poorer supervision and poor management decisions. My understanding is YRC has a much lower labor cost than the rest at least for now .

A few years back they paid three quarters of a billion dollars for CFI truck load and decimated their road board. And then forced the remaining employees to pay for it with reductions. That's part of it. TE out....

I will tell you right here and now, Mr. White Shirt. That little attitude of yours is exactly why unions exist. Let me take a guess. You worked at CF. right? Why would most management "dislike" their jobs? Educate our future members. Would it be because their unbridled power would cease to exist? Would it be because they would no longer be able to bully, intimidate, provoke, terminate, discriminate, anyone they they so choose? Would it be because they would no longer be able to manage any way they see fit in order to make some regional director happy? Would it be because there are rules to follow, and reprecussions if not? Or would it be just simple ego, getting in the way of common sense? You know what I'M talking about. A business agent jumping on your dock in the middle of the night, and putting a supervisor in his place for disrespecting a member. And to quote you. "I have seen it and you won't like it". So that attitude cuts both ways. TE out....

UPS actually. There are too many rules to follow. Nothing worse than a hub employee filing a grievance against a driver for helping load a trailer. What ever happened to working together? Also hub employees filing grievences against management for working along side them when union members call in sick. Thats just some of my issues. I don't have a superiority complex and prefer to work with my employees not against them to get the job done.

A few years back they paid three quarters of a billion dollars for CFI truck load and decimated their road board. And then forced the remaining employees to pay for it with reductions. That's part of it. TE out....

How did buying CFI decimate our road board? They don't haul any more freight than other sub service carriers. At one point they tried to make them our largest carrier but changed their mind later when it became apparent it wasn't in the best interest of the company(Con-way INC.) overall.