XPO | Union Debate and News

I guess that's why Fed Ex and Con-way are #1 and #2 and the Union carriers are lagging behind.

I assume you are talking about the LTL sector, because UPS isn't lagging behind anyone. And they are very much unionized. Maybe the moderator should ask you to support your allegations with documentation as he did with the lizard. I mean what's fair is fair. I'm not calling you out 99. Just having fun with Mr. White shirt. TE out...

You know he is talking about the LTL sector .. this is an LTL forum. These numbers have been publicly published unlike Mr Lizzards post about his educated speculation .. which is right here... FedEx Freight, Con-way Gain LTL Market Share | Journal of Commerce ..March 25, 2011.. I went searching the journal of commerce with words like MAY and COULD and MY UNDERSTANDING with Mr Lizzards educated speculation posting .. sorry came back with nothing .. we could go into operating ratios and who lost more money to snub mr lizzards post if you really want to go this route with me and the REAL educated drivers who post in here who understand financial reports.

The fedex/con-way numbers he referred to were in a company hand out. 2nd quarter in LTL fedex had #1 spot with 16% share and Con-way #2 with 11%.

Not exactly dominating, but they had highlighted it and made a big deal of the companies continued success. And mentioned how great it was that the non union companies were doing so well in the segment.

Everyone at my barn saw through this. It is a very small stat. And if you torture the numbers long enough, they will tell you anything.

Company handouts are usually slanted highspeeds .. journal of commerce is a little more accurate.

But shouldn't they all work together to get the job done? or am I supposed to tell a customer I can't help them because its not my job? Teamwork is what will make a company the best.

If the work belongs to a bargaining unit member management should be smart enough to make sure the correct employee is available to do his or her job,...

also how does a company make money when a driver is on the clock standing there watching other people load his trailers? It only make sense for everyone to pitch in. Maybe that's why so many Union companies have gone out of business.

What makes sense is for management to make sure they have enough bargaining unit members scheduled to perform their work,....

Loaders load,..............Drivers drive,.....

I said "Could it be " that YRC uses less interline and outside contractors. I have no facts but maybe Mr white shirt has something on this ?
My post was directed to White shirt for his opinion.
Do you have cold hard facts to support your statement .. cause I am curious to see that on paper. And no I am not going to go look at spread sheets etc ... you need to show us

But shouldn't they all work together to get the job done? or am I supposed to tell a customer I can't help them because its not my job? Teamwork is what will make a company the best.

Yes WE should all work as a Team to a Degree I Agree >But A your not a Driver And B Im not a Supervisor so some things are best left as they were meant to be unless of course you want to drive that set up the Mountain tonight While I hang out at the Barn You cant do all aspects of my job nor can I do yours And Our Customers do realize this !! And Yes MAybe you should let the Csr Do her job Cos she Knows it Better Thats Why she or he is A CSR !!

What makes sense is for management to make sure they have enough bargaining unit members scheduled to perform their work,....

Loaders load,..............Drivers drive,.....

Right now, if it is slow, then that driver gets dock work. That's better than sitting home. Or being laid-off. Don't you think. duh!! That's why I like this company...always something to do.

I said "Could it be " that YRC uses less interline and outside contractors. I have no facts but maybe Mr white shirt has something on this ?
My post was directed to White shirt for his opinion.

I see .. so you are saying it is not ok for me to ask you a question for you to elaborate on your opinion because you directed your question to another poster ... hmm becareful how you answer .. i have done that once or twice before with guys from your brotherhood and I was told where my place should be ..

Ok, here is my suggestion. We're facing the worst economic times since Carter, maybe worse. Money is tight and so are profit margins. Why don't we just put the whole union thing on hold until profit margins increase and wait and see how the company treats us. If they don't treat us better as the economy comes back, then perhaps the pro-union crowd could resume the push. The union cannot secure any more money or benefits for anyone as long as there isn't enough profit from which to pull it from.

There are profits to be shared. How about let's start by reducing the bloated salaries of the brass at the top who have elected to slash and cut the grunts who actually sweat for Conway? How about slapping the wrists of those who chose to adopt predatory pricing in order to crucify YRCW and drive the final nail in the coffin of the NMFA? Was the purchase of CFI really necessary, while reducing pay and benefit packages for the men and women who made Conway what it is today? The loyal soldiers that Conway groomed and were made to feel superior due to there unwavering work ethics. And now mysteriously there are no profits to share? I don't believe that it takes higher education, or the ability to read spread sheets, or financials, or surf commerce web sites, in order to understand that something is desperately wrong with the way that Conway operates in regards to how they treat their people, and how unwilling they are, without outside representation, to share their profits with the people who keep Conway viable. TE out...

There are profits to be shared. How about let's start by reducing the bloated salaries of the brass at the top who have elected to slash and cut the grunts who actually sweat for Conway? How about slapping the wrists of those who chose to adopt predatory pricing in order to crucify YRCW and drive the final nail in the coffin of the NMFA? Was the purchase of CFI really necessary, while reducing pay and benefit packages for the men and women who made Conway what it is today? The loyal soldiers that Conway groomed and were made to feel superior due to there unwavering work ethics. And now mysteriously there are no profits to share? I don't believe that it takes higher education, or the ability to read spread sheets, or financials, or surf commerce web sites, in order to understand that something is desperately wrong with the way that Conway operates in regards to how they treat their people, and how unwilling they are, without outside representation, to share their profits with the people who keep Conway viable. TE out...
the cfi thing was done when things were good. It was an investment. Then economy and stock market tanked.. its likebuying a new house, then your company going out of business. Its too late..your stuck with it. I think they realize the mistake with pay and benefit cuts.. i don't think they'll ever do that again..that's what really turned everybody off about this place.. but they're trying to recover.. its better. Conway just doesn't make that 50+ billion in revenue that UPS does. You guys are fortunate.. thanks TE. Im out.

In my experience nothing. But I wasn't high up in the union company. The issue I have with having a steward present is why can't some people just admit they made a mistake and take the consequences? The Union protects the lazy and stupid. The do some good with the protection but alot of the time they protect the wrong people. Also would you rather be written up in private or take the union way and have it mailed to your house certified mail so your wife and kids know you got written up? In my opionion the union just widen the gap between management and hourly and over protects the ones who don't deserve it.

A strong steward present while being questioned by management for issues that could lead to disciplinary action is a wonderful thing. What are you afraid of? If your accusations are founded on truth then there is nothing to fear from a steward. But if you are witch hunting, or discriminating against someone who (you deem) to be less then a desirable employee, or against someones seniority,then that is when a good steward will shred you. Why can't supervision admit they have falsely accused someone, or abused someones seniority for personal gain? "Protects the lazy and stupid"??? Do you realize how condescending that statement was. That offends me and should offend every Teamster reading this sir. We protect everyone who is a member. That's right, even the old schmucks with broken down backs, who have driven 3 million miles during their careers. The ones that Conway would like to work up a case on and send them out to pasture. And yes even the ones who might be a little mentally challenged. Are there a small percentage that are a liability? Of course. There are in every company. But most of us suit up, come to work every day, and give a fair days work for a fair days pay. We understand that the company needs to prosper or it's a no win for everyone involved. TE out...

and they forget the politics. If the steward doesn't like you or he owes the boss a favor.... you get the shaft.

More bs. And to think I just gave you a like for your comment about organizing the fos's. We at UPSF are helping our clerks to organize. They need represetation as well. And they have good access to information, if you know what I mean. Anyway back to your bs. If the steward doesn't like you deal directly with the BA. And as far as a steward owing a favor to the boss, I never asked for one, so I would never have to return it. No brainer. TE out...

Or some of them used to be that lazy p.o.s that took a lunch break while telling dispatch he was waiting for a door, then comes back and takes a lunch on OT right under the dispatchers' nose. Now that same guy is your dispatcher and assumes everyone else is the p.o.s. he was.

Why would somebody who worked just the same as before fall out of favor with management? Management wants people who are efficeint and need little supervision to complete their jobs. It's 20% of the employees who are 80% of the problem.

You know what? Somebody has an accident while DUI needs to be terminated. Somebody who fails a drug test, steals freight, fights or threatens a co-worker deserves to be fired. His union representation shouldn't protect his job under those circumstances.

The supervisor before me....and now there are 10 guys below him on the seniority list. Fun times for all.

Yeah, so I want to get rid of the slug who just so happens to also have a hard time with punctuality. So I figure that's my easiest path to give him some unpaid time to reflect. Meanwhile one of my best workers shows up 1 minute late and I have to write him up. Doesn't create a very fun work environment when all the discretion is taken away from ones' ability to lead. Fortunately the good guy understands and knows he's not likely to be late again...however, it doesn't do anything to close that gap between us vs. them.
See this right here is why I have a problem with SOME non union supervision. I don't want to be perceived as attempting to get inside of your head, but it appears by this post that your perception of your duties as a supervisor is to lead. If you would think along the lines of directing rather then leading, maybe your ego would allow you to be more successful. Why should you have the power to decide who is worthy? I have found that the "good guys" as you call them are the guys who will do anything for the company. Work through breaks, lunch, burn up a log book, speed or break any law that will make them look like a superstar.Run trailers around scale houses, run with out lights, mud flaps, flat tires, air whistling out of air lines, etc. etc. etc. Just for a couple more hours of overtime. Usually at the expense of someone with more seniority, who does things correctly, by the way. Or it might just be the young guy that can work circles around the guy who has slowed over the years, works smart, trying to preserve what little bit of flexibility he has left in his vertebrates. My point is you shouldn't have the authority to pick and choose who is a "slug" and who is a "good guy". Sorry if this post affects your ego in a negative way. TE out....

We [the teamsters] protect everyone who is a member. That's right, even the old schmucks with broken down backs, who have driven 3 million miles during their careers...and yes even the ones who might be a little mentally challenged.

Why should they be protected and paid as though they are valuable?

Fixed that typo for you.

I got to give you props on that one. That was clever. You changed the non union to union. NICE. But if you were really sharp you would have also changed neo-con to liberal. That would have even been more scandalous. That's why I am a good steward and you are just a mediocre supervisor. Look ladies and gentlemen, I know this is a very serious subject we are discussing here, but is there some room for humor here? Everyone is just all bunched up and in need of some prozac or a big fat cheech and chung joint, or something. I don't know. Maybe we should all sing an old sixties song together. My point is, Conway and Fed-Ex are on the front burner. Everyone knows this. If and when these employees decide to seek help from the Teamsters, or any other union, there is nothing that any us can say that will stand in the way. We are all just planting seeds. But the workers of these two great companies will ultimately decide. Believe it or not, I will respect which ever decisions are made. My career has seen it's better days, and I only wish the best for all of us. TE out....

Man that says it all right their,if a man gives you his career by driving a couple million miles and age starts to show because he's slowing down a little and he can't afford to retire as soon as he would have liked because the big bad wolf took his pension and you think he's less valuable. WOW Your the best vote getter I've seen yet!
Why should they be protected and paid as though they are valuable?

Man that says it all right their,if a man gives you his career by driving a couple million miles and age starts to show because he's slowing down a little and he can't afford to retire as soon as he would have liked because the big bad wolf took his pension and you think he's less valuable. WOW Your the best vote getter I've seen yet!

So Joe Namath should still be playing and earning what Tom Brady makes regardless of his value to his team? Joe Namath isn't as valuable to a team as he once was. We ALL reach that point....it's our responsibility to prepare for that day.

Who is the big bad wolf here ? I have not seen anyone's pension stolen from them. I have seen a fund or two comply with the laws of this government we have. Frozen or reduced maybe but not stolen.