FedEx Freight | Union Myths Debunked

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
In an attempt to get true facts out here for those who are curious and need or want information, I thought it might be helpful to correct some common myths. Would be nice to keep things civil and factual regardless of your position on the topic.

I'll start: (others can add)

1) Teamsters "Go After" companies and targeted FedEx for unionization.

False. Employees seek out and Ask the Teamsters to represent them. Only when significant interest exists, do they accept the request.

2) The unions just want your money.

They do want your money, BUT they provide a valuable service in exchange for a nominal fee. Not unlike FedEx wants their customers' money in exchange for a service.

3) Union dues will go to prop up failing pension plans.

False. No union dues go into any pension plan. Pension plans are funded by the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
The union is prohibited from using dues for political purposes.
Any money spent on lobbying must be from donations made to a separate fund.
Freddy does not have those same constraints.

In an attempt to get true facts out here for those who are curious and need or want information, I thought it might be helpful to correct some common myths. Would be nice to keep things civil and factual regardless of your position on the topic.

I'll start: (others can add)

1) Teamsters "Go After" companies and targeted FedEx for unionization.

False. Employees seek out and Ask the Teamsters to represent them. Only when significant interest exists, do they accept the request.
FedEx Drivers Aren't Pilots*|*James P. Hoffa

Teamsters launch organizing effort at FedEx Freight – DC Velocity

I didn't realize there was a time limit, the fact is Fedex has been a goal of the Teamsters for a long
time. They have absolutely targeted Fedex for years.

just because an article characterizes it that way doesn't make it so. I wish there was Teamster initiated campaign, here. There is no question, when contacted by express guys, the Teamster did and are attempting to challenge the legal classification.

just because an article characterizes it that way doesn't make it so. I wish there was Teamster initiated campaign, here. There is no question, when contacted by express guys, the Teamster did and are attempting to challenge the legal classification.
Just because it weakens your point a little doesn't make it untrue either. You can google Teamsters target Fedex freight and find plenty of articles that speak directly to this. I'm not saying that they're aren't legitimate efforts being made by the rank and file to get the Teamsters in. I just saying that youre portraying it as the Teamsters were just setting idly by and the Fedex employees twisted their arm to get them to help. The fact is the teamsters have been salivating for years to get their hands on Fedex. And if you think its because they "really care and want to help you" and not about getting in your pocket, well you're either naive or dishonest. They see 15,000 plus new members and they would love to have them.

Just because it weakens your point a little doesn't make it untrue either. You can google Teamsters target Fedex freight and find plenty of articles that speak directly to this. I'm not saying that they're aren't legitimate efforts being made by the rank and file to get the Teamsters in. I just saying that youre portraying it as the Teamsters were just setting idly by and the Fedex employees twisted their arm to get them to help. The fact is the teamsters have been salivating for years to get their hands on Fedex. And if you think its because they "really care and want to help you" and not about getting in your pocket, well you're either naive or dishonest. They see 15,000 plus new members and they would love to have them.

I do know they don't follow FedEx trucks around, targeting the drivers for organization. You can harp on articles all day that insinuate that, but surely you know the media is usually not accurate. And YES, I'm telling you that many have called the Teamsters and not received the warmest of welcomes. In FACT, some local BAs were not even sure they could represent us because the can't represent FedEx Express. Does that sound like a group that was seriously targeting us?

I don't deny they'd love to have us and the money we'd pay, BUT they do provide a valuable service for the fee. I've said this repeatedly. I said it the post you originally quoted, so how can that be dishonest?

Oh, I did google it...(Teamsters target Fedex freight) Showed total of 5 links on 1st page before it went on to UPS,YRC, etc. 1 each for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2013 and recently 2014 (7days ago) Not quite as prevalent as you thought, huh?

I do know they don't follow FedEx trucks around, targeting the drivers for organization. You can harp on articles all day that insinuate that, but surely you know the media is usually not accurate. And YES, I'm telling you that many have called the Teamsters and not received the warmest of welcomes. In FACT, some local BAs were not even sure they could represent us because the can't represent FedEx Express. Does that sound like a group that was seriously targeting us?

I don't deny they'd love to have us and the money we'd pay, BUT they do provide a valuable service for the fee. I've said this repeatedly. I said it the post you originally quoted, so how can that be dishonest?

Oh, I did google it...(Teamsters target Fedex freight) Showed total of 5 links on 1st page before it went on to UPS,YRC, etc. 1 each for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2013 and recently 2014 (7days ago) Not quite as prevalent as you thought, huh?

I have know idea about local ba's but the Teamsters as a whole have wanted Fedex for years (I just googled it just to check and I found 14 results on the first 2 pages alone that mentioned Fedex freight in the title or summary description). I just disagree about how much of a service they actually provide. You guys are trying to convince everybody that if they vote for the Teamsters that they are going to get this great deal and that every contract to follow will get better,it won't. For one the Teamsters are faced with the same health care problems as the rest of the world. They're going up and some one has to pay for it, every time we negotiate a contract more of our pay goes toward health insurance, money that would be in my pocket. As a matter of fact our contract specifies that some of our pre agreed upon raises can be diverted toward our health insurance. And in 2009 they took $.50 an hour back and put it on insurance. Ask a established teamster if every contract if they don't give up a little more. You guys think the "company" is just going to set down every 5 years and say aw shucks we are making so much we'll give you what ever you want, your nuts. On a side note here is a little interesting reading for you.
UPS Freight Talk

I have know idea about local ba's but the Teamsters as a whole have wanted Fedex for years (I just googled it just to check and I found 14 results on the first 2 pages alone that mentioned Fedex freight in the title or summary description). I just disagree about how much of a service they actually provide. You guys are trying to convince everybody that if they vote for the Teamsters that they are going to get this great deal and that every contract to follow will get better,it won't. For one the Teamsters are faced with the same health care problems as the rest of the world. They're going up and some one has to pay for it, every time we negotiate a contract more of our pay goes toward health insurance, money that would be in my pocket. As a matter of fact our contract specifies that some of our pre agreed upon raises can be diverted toward our health insurance. And in 2009 they took $.50 an hour back and put it on insurance. Ask a established teamster if every contract if they don't give up a little more. You guys think the "company" is just going to set down every 5 years and say aw shucks we are making so much we'll give you what ever you want, your nuts. On a side note here is a little interesting reading for you.
UPS Freight Talk

Oh, I get where you're coming from. You didn't state the company but you gave enough to narrow it down a bit, and I understand. But you need to understand where we're coming from. Without typing an essay, let's just say our workplace has declined in every way, while the company has prospered at record breaking levels. We have little choice but to do what we can to change things. I wish this were not the case. I used to be against union at this company, like most of us. FedEx Changed all that and the only option for us to have any voice at all is through representation. And in this process I know that they did not come to us, except by request. I don't have union fetish. I don't portray the Teamsters as the magic pill, that will fix everything, but it will offer some balance to the relationship. Before I leave this company, I'm willing to do what I can to change it.

Sure the union wants Fedex. And money.
Numbers amd money makes for better bargaining.
Conway has terminals organizing too.
And lots of other places and lots of other unions.

Oh, I get where you're coming from. You didn't state the company but you gave enough to narrow it down a bit, and I understand. But you need to understand where we're coming from. Without typing an essay, let's just say our workplace has declined in every way, while the company has prospered at record breaking levels. We have little choice but to do what we can to change things. I wish this were not the case. I used to be against union at this company, like most of us. FedEx Changed all that and the only option for us to have any voice at all is through representation. And in this process I know that they did not come to us, except by request. I don't have union fetish. I don't portray the Teamsters as the magic pill, that will fix everything, but it will offer some balance to the relationship. Before I leave this company, I'm willing to do what I can to change it.
I work in construction, there is know way to narrow down the company and it doesn't matter anyway. I totally agree that you guys are between a rock and a hard place, I worked for Fedex for 17 months and there is a lot I didn't like at what could be a great place to work. Fedex brought this on themselves with their heavy handed tactics. I'm just tired of all of the pro union threads that shout down any opposition and I want to share a little of my experience. The union wont get you respect, they will still complain about gate times, they will still complain about bills per hour, they will still try to railroad anyone they don't like. And before you tell me "yeah but the union will protect me" tell me the last time someone was let go for missing gate or not enough bpa. Believe me even with the union if they want you gone they will build up a file and wait for the right time to strike, you can get fired from a union company. And I couldn't tell you how many times I've set around and heard guys say "what am I paying dues for if they cant do anything" most of your problems will be replaced with all new ones.

I work in construction, there is know way to narrow down the company and it doesn't matter anyway. I totally agree that you guys are between a rock and a hard place, I worked for Fedex for 17 months and there is a lot I didn't like at what could be a great place to work. Fedex brought this on themselves with their heavy handed tactics. I'm just tired of all of the pro union threads that shout down any opposition and I want to share a little of my experience. The union wont get you respect, they will still complain about gate times, they will still complain about bills per hour, they will still try to railroad anyone they don't like. And before you tell me "yeah but the union will protect me" tell me the last time someone was let go for missing gate or not enough bpa. Believe me even with the union if they want you gone they will build up a file and wait for the right time to strike, you can get fired from a union company. And I couldn't tell you how many times I've set around and heard guys say "what am I paying dues for if they cant do anything" most of your problems will be replaced with all new ones.

If a person gives a company reason for a write almost on a weekly bases then that person should start looking inward maybe. But forcing the company to go by seniority instead of favoritism is a big step in the right direction. The union is not perfect but it goes a long ways with companies like UPS and FEDEX...

If a person gives a company reason for a write almost on a weekly bases then that person should start looking inward maybe. But forcing the company to go by seniority instead of favoritism is a big step in the right direction. The union is not perfect but it goes a long ways with companies like UPS and FEDEX...

I'm honestly not arguing that point, but in what way are they not following seniority. When i worked there they followed it pretty good and when the didn't people called Harrison and it most generally got fixed.

I'm honestly not arguing that point, but in what way are they not following seniority. When i worked there they followed it pretty good and when the didn't people called Harrison and it most generally got fixed.

Seniority in the city means almost nothing... vacations and start times only, at my center. And even start times are juggled at will, with less senior drivers coming in ahead of senior ones.

Now that's funny!
You never heard the term hub discretion in your 17 months?
Never had them tell an extra board driver there wasn't time to call him when the trailers sealed five hours before they were given to a dock driver?
You've never walked in the door with 5 hrs driving time available to be sent home due to lack of work as the dock driver is walking out the door with a four hour hub kick out?
These things happen almost nightly at my barn.

Either you worked in freight heaven or I work in freight hell.

Now that's funny!
You never heard the term hub discretion in your 17 months?
Never had them tell an extra board driver there wasn't time to call him when the trailers sealed five hours before they were given to a dock driver?
You've never walked in the door with 5 hrs driving time available to be sent home due to lack of work as the dock driver is walking out the door with a four hour hub kick out?
These things happen almost nightly at my barn.

Either you worked in freight heaven or I work in freight hell.
I worked in the city not on the road and I saw very little abuse of seniority personally I'm not saying it didn't happen. And when your union they will still do it, you can file a grievance and they will do it again tomorrow it will not fix it. When you came in with 5 hours driving time available had you already completed your assigned bid? If so sending out another driver with more time available would make sense to me. I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing about this as I'm not very experienced with it. But I am experienced with the union and they will not stop a lot of this. I'm also experienced with truck drivers and I know you will never be happy, I can tell you I've stood at driver check in or in a preshift and heard "when did we start doing that" and knowing full well its always been that way. I know Fedex has a habit of changing the rules on a whim and I always hated that and the union would help with that amnd i see that as a positive. But a month after the contract is ratified you will be on here and in the break room complaining just like before.