FedEx Freight | UNION: Organize, or not?

FedAx

TB Lurker
Credits
I just wanted to start a fresh thread on this subject as the first one had a lot of input from unaffected parties, and I'm hoping that we can get a mature/respectful discussion and exchange of thoughts and ideas. For those of us that have put in a considerable amount of thought, time, and research in getting to this point, we are just asking that you have an open mind during this process. There are valid points on both sides of this issue. Please realize that Company supplied propaganda is just that. The Companies main goal is to scare you into submission, and the deck is stacked in their favor. You used the internet to get to this board, please, please....use it to educate yourself on this subject.

We're all on the same team. We all want job security, reward for the sacrifices we've shared to help make this Company profitable, and to be treated with respect from Management. We all want to do a great job by safely and efficiently working together, and not do things that hurt the Company. With that in mind, we don't appreciate the Company using us as the expendable unit to be deleted like a number on a spreadsheet. The last 6 years has been a rough economy to say the least. An economy that we the employees have all sacrificed through near stagnant salary, less hours, less miles, IRA matching contributions, higher health care contributions with lower coverage, loss of bonuses, and the loss of many of our co-workers through both layoffs and attrition. Many have been walked to the parking lot for trivial matters, and many more are leaving because they see the writing on the wall. We have sacrificed our share for the most part without complaint, until they started going too far.

This board is our best forum for discussion at this point. Please, spread the word to fellow Dock Workers, Drivers, Part Timers, and other affected employees to join in. Beware…Management does monitor this board, so I would suggest making sure you take the necessary precautions to remain anonymous. In discussing issues, let’s be respectful and leave individuals names out of the mix if/when referring to Management personnel.

With that out of the way, I’d like to express my thoughts on why I support organizing. The Companies that FedEx purchased to create the FedEx Freight division knew that treating its employees fairly and respectfully, and offering comparable compensation that other companies covered under Union Contract offered were the way to stay a non-union shop. We have all in many ways enjoyed the benefits of the Union without actually supporting it. Do you really think you would be making your current pay/benefits if the Union threat wasn’t present? FedEx has slowly and consistently used the “nudge” process to reduce our benefits and job security. A little piece at a time is taken much easier than a big chunk at once. As many of the Unions have slowly lost some support, FedEx has become bolder in betting that we won’t do anything about it.

For those of us that knew AF, you know the difference in being respected by your Company/Management, and being marginalized and talked down to by your “Leaders”. FedEx is not a company that cultivates leaders. It’s a company that creates its policies with the sole purpose to not have to manage people, just freight. If you’re good with a spreadsheet, making cut times, and following the manual, you’ll go far in Management with this company. Knowing how to motivate, respect, and deal with subordinates in a respectful manner is not required. The natural born leaders are seen from time to time, but they don’t seem to stay around long.

We’re all grown men and women that are here to be a team player and strive to do a great job. We don’t deserve to be treated like a child when Management can’t comprehend why their survey scores don’t complement their management style. It’s always “our” fault because we’re not smart enough to know how to fill out a survey, so we’ve been subjected to childish “educational” meetings explaining how correctly fill out our surveys. Really? I will concede, this practice didn’t occur this last survey cycle, or has it just been postponed?

Lastly, this isn’t about trying to take advantage of the Company, it’s about stopping the Company from taking advantage of us. Most of us didn’t get into this position to get more money, but get back some of the work we see driving off the lot on other equipment, while drivers sit at home and starve waiting for the next “Fed Ax” to swing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the most intelligent post I've read in a long time. FedAx seems to be a very responsible employee asking the question to organize or not. Whatever side of the issue your on, now is your chance to express your opinion. I hope you take the time to do so. TP

Last edited by a moderator:
FedAx, awesome first posts.
Two things, do you want this to be a locals only, as in current employees only thread, or open to all?
Secondly, I do know of one SCM that left a memo to be read to his people that emphasized how important it was to fill out the survey so that all the answers shed the best possible light on he and his management team and how important these answers were for them to maximize their bonuses.
Sad, but true, sadder still is that the cretin still works here even after complaints to HR.

Other than job security needed over trivial matters RC and I as well as many others would like drivers who are neutral to think about how come UPS can turn a profit and pay a decent wage ? I think we can all agree that wages would be our main goal in signing a card. I'm no translog major by any stretch but everybody buys the same diesel , equipment etc. so basically the overhead is the same for everybody. If we are the #1 ltl carrier at least pay us like we're # 3 or 4.

A couple years ago..I attended a road driver meeting in KCY....I couldnt believe my ears...the mgmt tear was pleading with the drivrrs to NOT give them all Zeros and to bring all problems to them. Haha..really??? If that was the case...they were obviously the problem. Glad that was not my svc cntr...how bad is that place...dont they have regional mgmt located there too? I thought thats what I heard...what is the problem with the mgmt team thrre??? Good grief :/

First off , Amazing first posts FedAX - I myself welcome the union, We need some protection against policies electronic devices! We do know they can track you by GPS. We know the trucks record speeds.

Say the mechanic pulls the data from the truck notices there was a 70 mph or 65 mph in 55 mph state redflag, tells a member of management he logs it down into the computer for use later.

Say you arrive at the terminal you must punch for lunch, being a team player you break your set. Wait your driving a company truck off the clock saved for ammo.

what's to stop this company from using electronic devices to help fuel the fire in a termination? Question is how many people don't fight the firing and how many people are getting fired for these same offenses. Who calibrates these devices?

Ever drove a truck that the speedometer would bounce? I have before. Ever drove a truck where the vector was defective and anytime the key was in on position or accessory it would say your driving? I have many times.

Have you ever been accused of damaging freight and they wanted to write you up because you did. Not the guy that stacked and punctured it after you left. Your scanned it and you were on camera loading damage, Ya right.

Most people just sign them because they can't remember what they did on there 6th hour of a 14 hour night. Right?

Those that want to unionize need to look internally (introspection) to make sure they are not operating with a mindset that everybody else is the problem. That alone is of great debate. The ability of a person to step outside themselves and see them as others truly see them......There are those on one side that constantly have issues, and those that just do their job and go on. Both are of great debate, ire, misunderstanding and an area of great conflict. Some express openly, most express "behind closed door's." On one hand you have people that go to work, do their job, rarely have issues and perhaps wonder what all the fuss is about. These people are either loved by the company, and/or loathed as "tools" by some of their peers. There may be some that say these so called "tools" are the real problem.....they make it hard for the rest of us, etc......On the other hand you have people who seem to have "issues" at every turn. They can find no happiness, no satisfaction, are embroiled in all fashion of turmoil regarding "job". These people are either loathed by the company and/or some of their peers, or some peers are indifferent. Everyone knows the so called "tools" and everybody knows who the "issues" are. It is a two way road. Maybe three way if you add the company perspective. As an employee I don't have issues. I go to work, do what I have to in order to stay off the radar. I am not in a constant state of conflict. In general I am content. I have no need for a union. I don't need representation. I do that myself. If I don't like it, I move on. Simply put: I am not owed anything and I am not entitled to anything. But I also can respect others desires for unionizing. We just deal with things differently. To each his own. Bottom line is: I won't hold your "way" of dealing with life against you and you won't hold my way of dealing with life against me. Just don't resort to the stereotypical union tactics to try and sway those that are not of your way of thinking. Let it fly!

Very well put Windsurfer. I no longer work at Fedex Freight. However I did for a year ending in the spring of 2013. When I went in there I was educated on unions (I was a teamster for a few years before working at FXF) but I went in nuetral on the whole union topic. I now work for a union company and am very happy.
I will tell you guys two things.

1) Windsurfer is right. Keep unity weather you are pro or anti union. At the end no matter who wins you will always have to work together. The best thing people can do is share their opinions on why they feel the way they do. Educate each other and make people informed so nobody has to make an ignorant decision that they will regret, AND BE NICE ABOUT IT!!

2) BE CAREFUL. Now that the door is opened make sure that every "t" is crossed and every "i" is dotted. The company will start looking for reasons to write up, suspend, and fire drivers. My advise is every driver should print a copy of the current handbook and stay up to date on all the rules and follow every one of them. If the company gives you an over weight trailer to pull DO NOT pull that trailer. Do not violate any rules for your supervisors. It could be a set up. It happened to a driver in CA when he violated the rules at the command of a sup and he was fired for it.

Just giving you guys a little heads up as to what could be down the pike. Be careful and most of all PLAY NICE!

I've worked here a little while. A couple of years after I started, there was a group of drivers that wanted to organize just the line group. At that time, we had good wages, good benefits, an average to above average pension and what I held dearest was managers in line haul that respected us and appreciated the work that we did. By and large, the majority of us would do whatever it took to get the job done.

At that time, already having 10 years in the Teamsters I didn't really see the need for the aforementioned reasons coupled with the fact that they would exclude the dock workers and local drivers to organize.
That was then. In 2007, there were several people, myself included that began to see the need for representation.
There was also a large, vocal group of people adamantly opposed to the union.

What I find most telling right now is that those that were most against it then, would sign a card today.
This company has sadly changed that much.

I've worked here a little while. A couple of years after I started, there was a group of drivers that wanted to organize just the line group. At that time, we had good wages, good benefits, an average to above average pension and what I held dearest was managers in line haul that respected us and appreciated the work that we did. By and large, the majority of us would do whatever it took to get the job done.

At that time, already having 10 years in the Teamsters I didn't really see the need for the aforementioned reasons coupled with the fact that they would exclude the dock workers and local drivers to organize.
That was then. In 2007, there were several people, myself included that began to see the need for representation.
There was also a large, vocal group of people adamantly opposed to the union.

What I find most telling right now is that those that were most against it then, would sign a card today.
This company has sadly changed that much.
I'd say a good majority of our fellow employees making this push with us here in KCY and EKC, are in the same boat. Five years ago, I would've laughed at the idea. It's nothing short of a travesty, that what was once such an amazing place to work has become this way. That being said, this thread is a brilliant, level headed jumping off point for this debate. Fedax, good on ya! I hope it draws the attention, discussion, and all around exchange of ideas and opinions it deserves.

I really think this should be a FXF employee only thread, this is a sensitive subject, you guys need to work this out, I will help to police this thread, and forward anything out of bounds to the mods that can take care of it.

Best of luck Men and Women of FXF!

FedAx, awesome first posts.
Two things, do you want this to be a locals only, as in current employees only thread, or open to all?
Secondly, I do know of one SCM that left a memo to be read to his people that emphasized how important it was to fill out the survey so that all the answers shed the best possible light on he and his management team and how important these answers were for them to maximize their bonuses.
Sad, but true, sadder still is that the cretin still works here even after complaints to HR.

I hope to see FXF employees on this thread, but would hesitate to exclude input from somebody that can answer basic union questions that will surely surface. I have never been a union member and cannot speak intelligently to support or refute many facts or myths. I hope we can get participation here so people can have a chance at making an informed decision without feeling strong armed either way.

I also will watch to make sure this stays as a employee only thread. But one thing also to throw out
RESPECT each other and each others views. That's something we lost track of at USF Dugan. People have reasons they feel that way and hear them out on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I Know Is I'm So Tired Of Management Changing The Rules As We Play. With Different Drivers The Rules Are Different As Well.This Company Is So Half Assed Backwards Its Crazy. They Say One Thing And Then In The Same Sentence Tell You Something Else. Corporate Put The Guidelines In Place For A Reason But Your Local Management Can Change Them When They Want. This Has Become A Joke. We Need A Even Playing Field. Not Somewhere Management Can Change Rules As They please... Just remember employment @ Fed Ex Is at Will Witch Means By By At anytime Driver.

Found my way over here, from the BrownCafe.com (go to Forum, FedEx Discussions at the bottom of the page). At Express, we feel the same way. We are losing RTD's to Walmart by the dozens; YES, I said dozens. RTD's with over 25 years are leaving and others with less than 25 ... well they are on the "bandwagon" to go, as soon as they have an opening. I tried to "unionize" back in the 90's, right around the time California had the "class action lawsuit". Sadly, those that were with us, didn't sign on when the time came around. Those same guys are "crying the blues" now; all I can do is SMDH in disgust. I stuck my neck out to be a "steward" and I'd do it again. I tried to explain it's not all about the money, it's about how they can just CHANGE anything midstream ... and if you don't like it, so what! The GFT, Open Door and all the other processes are a joke. YOU do not have any representation. HR does not work for you ... found that out the hard way. The pilots can shut this company down in a heartbeat; so can the drivers (RTD's/Couriers). We are understaffed right now; we have managers out on the road driving, because we are so shorthanded. So what does that tell you? The PURPLE FLU (say at least 5 people call out - those Costco hotdogs gave me food poisoning), could do quite a bit of damage, dontcha think? I'm in ... and I could get some OLD HEADS to sign on.

I echo R.C.'s thoughts for sure. I am one that doesn't post much, but I will stand up for the idea of organizing. R.C. is on the money with what has happened to our jobs and the attitude of the company towards drivers and dockworkers.

Freight haulers for the next 50 years should be singing your praises if you guys pull it off. Organizing FXF should make life in LTL a little more tolerable. Thanks for standing up fellas.