XPO | Union Rep in parking lot

The old "without the unions you wouldn't have what you have" line gets tossed around as a reason to organize, but I don't think it's relevant. The unions certainly did set the standards- the differences in regional pay across the CWF system are a good example of that- but I don't think that's a reason to keep them around. Without Europe, we wouldn't have our country- but I'm not interested in joining the EU. (Which, interestingly enough, has the same issues as the Teamsters.)

"Poverty wage employment"? There is a huge driver shortage in the industry, and LTL is no exception. And it's getting worse. That means it's a sellers market when it comes to labor- and a sellers market isn't good for unions. The difficulties in hiring new people make it crucial to hold on to good drivers - no matter how old. That means doing whatever is necessary to keep them around- whether it's increasing wages or absorbing healthcare cost increases like Conway has done over the last couple years. I can't see how it would make sense to decrease wages- unless that's all you've got left to keep your company from drowning in all the red ink on the balance sheets.

That rhetoric might work at the steel mill, but trucking is not manufacturing. You can't get someone to hold a steering wheel from China for a couple dollars an hour like you can get them to crank out iPhones.

Also, youngsters aren't getting behind the wheel now- why would they do it for half the compensation?

Not China. Somalia.

First of all there is no flaw in seniority. It is the holy grail of unionism. It is purest system to eliminate favoritism, nepotism, discrimination etc.

Old and decrepit? I was talking about after years of small injuries coming back to haunt you later in your career. Believe me young man, you will be there one day. And you won't appreciate the company that you busted your ass for eliminating you and replacing you with a young fresh back.
As far as comparing the driving skills of the young compared to the "mature". You are correct about the reaction time. But personally I have adapted as I have aged. I no longer take the chances I once did when I was younger.Give more space, eye lead time, reduced speed etc. It is my opinion that I am a much safer driver then I was 30yrs ago. And most guys my age are much safer then most of the youngsters we share the roads with.
My strength is just fine.I would arm wrestle you and take your money if you like.
so......60 yrs. Of age and I have to step down and hand the keys to a pimple face? That's it? Father time owes me nothing at that point? Wow thats ignorant! Seriously young lad.You have a lot to learn about respect. But you wouldn't understand because you are about 30 give or take a couple. Correct? Hopefully you are getting ready to purchase your first home. Starting a family. Buy a couple cars.A couple vacations a year.That home is going to be a thirty year commitment on it's own.
Now fast forward to your early to mid sixties. Your home is close to being paid off but not quite. Maybe you took a second out to send your kids to college and help pay some of your mother in laws medical bills etc.etc.
DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR SENIORITY TO BE IN JEOPARDY DUE TO
YOUR SLIGHT DECLINE IN PRODUCTION AND LOSE YOUR LIVELIHOOD TO A YOUNG NEW HIRE?

I love how you want 30 and out but also to stay until your 70 or older.

Cake and eat it too, much ?

At Con-way seniority is honored. We bid starts,runs,tractors,and vacations based on seniority. Last time we had layoffs at the end of 2008, layoffs went by seniority. Its a non issue at our place and this is the Con-way board so please change the subject or go argue about it on somebody elses board.
FXF & XPO are the boards they like to troll. Numbers 1 & 2 carriers could bail out their pension.

Well I'm sorry if I offended you radmam. I'm glad that seniority is adhered to at conway.I was just giving a different point of view that countered the posters who don't share the importance of seniority. Virginia tech, songremainsthesame and Canadian flyer.

I never said I didn't think seniority was important. Our city start times and linehaul schedules are done in seniority order. What I do have a problem with is a hog board where the junior man starves while the senior man is either running excellent miles every day on his 10 or on overtime in the city.

But the younger guy that drives 5 hrs a night and works the dock 8hrs is sharp as a tack?
Couldn't the same argument be made for those who have been getting screwed out of 15% of their pay, a week vacation taken away, and 75% of their pension gone........ for the last 6+ years? That might indicate that those people aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.
Just sayin'.

I never said I didn't think seniority was important. Our city start times and linehaul schedules are done in seniority order. What I do have a problem with is a hog board where the junior man starves while the senior man is either running excellent miles every day on his 10 or on overtime in the city.
And trust me when I tell you, the "Brotherhood" doesn't exist when there is a dollar involved. I watched it happen for two decades.

Couldn't the same argument be made for those who have been getting screwed out of 15% of their pay, a week vacation taken away, and 75% of their pension gone........ for the last 6+ years? That might indicate that those people aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.
Just sayin'.
Couldn't tell you, I've never been in that position, nor will I ever be in that position.

First of all there is no flaw in seniority. It is the holy grail of unionism. It is purest system to eliminate favoritism, nepotism, discrimination etc.

Old and decrepit? I was talking about after years of small injuries coming back to haunt you later in your career. Believe me young man, you will be there one day. And you won't appreciate the company that you busted your ass for eliminating you and replacing you with a young fresh back.
As far as comparing the driving skills of the young compared to the "mature". You are correct about the reaction time. But personally I have adapted as I have aged. I no longer take the chances I once did when I was younger.Give more space, eye lead time, reduced speed etc. It is my opinion that I am a much safer driver then I was 30yrs ago. And most guys my age are much safer then most of the youngsters we share the roads with.
My strength is just fine.I would arm wrestle you and take your money if you like.
so......60 yrs. Of age and I have to step down and hand the keys to a pimple face? That's it? Father time owes me nothing at that point? Wow thats ignorant! Seriously young lad.You have a lot to learn about respect. But you wouldn't understand because you are about 30 give or take a couple. Correct? Hopefully you are getting ready to purchase your first home. Starting a family. Buy a couple cars.A couple vacations a year.That home is going to be a thirty year commitment on it's own.
Now fast forward to your early to mid sixties. Your home is close to being paid off but not quite. Maybe you took a second out to send your kids to college and help pay some of your mother in laws medical bills etc.etc.
DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR SENIORITY TO BE IN JEOPARDY DUE TO
YOUR SLIGHT DECLINE IN PRODUCTION AND LOSE YOUR LIVELIHOOD TO A YOUNG NEW HIRE?
If you reread my posts instead of getting your undies in a bunch over what you think I said, you would notice that I never once advocated that people should be fired for being old. And I am not at risk of being replaced in my job regardless of how old I am because I drive for a contractor who operates a dedicated lane for Day & Ross Freight. As I said, my father, who is my team partner, is in his 50's. And he is in no danger of losing work. Here in Canada, drivers are being begged to consider working past 65, so your fears are not mine.

And as I already said, I do believe seniority should matter. TO A POINT. A senior man should be willing to give the younger generation a helping hand when times get tough and freight is slow. A senior man, whose kids have grown up and whose house is paid off, should be willing to take a day off now and then to give the young ones the opportunity to work the better lanes and give them hope that staying at YRCF, ABF, Holland etc will eventually amount to something! Having to wait 15 years to get off the hog board is a long time when guys under 20 years get laid off when things are slow, which is every 5 years it seems. And when nobody throws them a bone, they decide the union bennies aren't worth the instability and find a place that'll keep them working.

You wonder why nobody in the younger generation wants your union? Maybe if they had a chance to understand why seniority was good, instead of being on the bottom forever, they'd want it more. Getting started in this industry isn't the same as it was 30 years ago.

Number one I never said accident free, 3 million miles is an accomplishment all on it's own, accident free is feat few accomplish. Number 2 you made my point, newer drivers will stand a better chance of getting 3 million forklift miles. Newer drivers will never gain experience ,will they have fewer accidents? maybe, lane departure, and other "safety" devices and lack of miles say they should, but are they safer drivers?
And you're perfectly illustrating the problem with this post. Do you believe this is a fair system? Do you believe that this is a fair way to treat brothers? A fair way to treat the people who are being counted on to replace you as you retire?

Not caring about the next generation is the mentality that will bury YRCW if it doesn't change. And if YRCW goes under, that'll just be a bunch more orphaned pensioners.

Let me repeat that. The next generation of Teamsters are the ones the 60 year olds are counting on to fund that retirement they can't wait for. Shouldn't they be shown some appreciation instead of being told that it's their job to wait their turn? Why should they care about you when you won't give them a chance?

And you're perfectly illustrating the problem with this post. Do you believe this is a fair system? Do you believe that this is a fair way to treat brothers? A fair way to treat the people who are being counted on to replace you as you retire?

Not caring about the next generation is the mentality that will bury YRCW if it doesn't change. And if YRCW goes under, that'll just be a bunch more orphaned pensioners.

Let me repeat that. The next generation of Teamsters are the ones the 60 year olds are counting on to fund that retirement they can't wait for. Shouldn't they be shown some appreciation instead of being told that it's their job to wait their turn? Why should they care about you when you won't give them a chance?

Stop with the nonsense. There is nothing wrong with a senior man volunteering a day off here and there to help a junior man out.
At my terminal we take turns rotating around the board to give the two lowest seniority brothers work.A couple of our guys are not as financially sound as others are and don't volunteer as much. And that's ok. That is their choice. And they are not shamed for that choice. They earned that choice by their tenure here.
THE SYSTEM IS NOT FLAWED.
Where you and I differ is in my view that decision remains voluntary.
Your view seems to implicate it should be mandated.
Bad idea young grasshopper.

Great link karen.I have a 70$ monthly deduction from my paycheck once a month. I am proud to say money extremely well spent. It provides me with all the perks a union contract provides.I won't bore or boast about the details.
But our dues are also allocated towards projects like this campaign at the ports. I know the officers of my local are down there in long beach supporting your xpo brothers as we speak.
Maybe a little recognition is in order when the teamsters get involved with something that deserves that respect.

Not all teamster outfit runs a hog board. Holland runs a seniority dispatch out of your home terminal. Once out in the system you run a first in longest out unless they have a extra load going to your home terminal. I left home monday night turned Knoxville. Was the #1 open board driver Tues night got a indy. Came off 10 headed back with one of yrc-atm loads. Probably will be #1 again thurs night if I decide to stay home. Whole board has to exhausted before senior man goes back out. Every terminal that runs a hog board has the option to vote for a change in dispatch procedures.

Enough of this. You're from Canada this is America. If you have drivers waiting 15 years to get a bid or drivers sitting at home not being able to feed their families, you need to fix your problems up there not here. We don't have those two problems here. Does anyone believe 60 year olds didn't have the same challenges 25 year olds are having now? I don't want to start with my back in the late seventies early eighties line. Jeeze

Stop with the nonsense. There is nothing wrong with a senior man volunteering a day off here and there to help a junior man out.
At my terminal we take turns rotating around the board to give the two lowest seniority brothers work.A couple of our guys are not as financially sound as others are and don't volunteer as much. And that's ok. That is their choice. And they are not shamed for that choice. They earned that choice by their tenure here.
THE SYSTEM IS NOT FLAWED.
Where you and I differ is in my view that decision remains voluntary.
Your view seems to implicate it should be mandated.
Bad idea young grasshopper.
I'm not saying it should be mandatory. I mentioned earlier that there should be a way to make it work for all brothers and sisters, though I in no way profess to have the solution.

Enough of this. You're from Canada this is America. If you have drivers waiting 15 years to get a bid or drivers sitting at home not being able to feed their families, you need to fix your problems up there not here. We don't have those two problems here. Does anyone believe 60 year olds didn't have the same challenges 25 year olds are having now? I don't want to start with my back in the late seventies early eighties line. Jeeze
I'm learning about the 15 year waits and struggling youngsters FROM AMERICANS. You're making very broad assumptions based upon where I am from. To suggest a Canadian driver isn't aware of what's happening down there tells me that you don't understand just how much Canadian trucking depends on America. You DO have those problems because I've spoken to the drivers laid off as a consequence. Have you?

And do not patronize me about how hard it was in the 1970's because I am well aware. I didn't say the younger generation has it harder, I said OUR CHALLENGES ARE DIFFERENT. And they are, not that you would know. Just getting your foot in the door at a cheap OTR job is hard and the pay is abysmal.

I respectfully ask that you not put words in my mouth before understanding what it is I said. I'm not the ignorant kid you think I am, and you know less about me than I can assume about you.

Great link karen.I have a 70$ monthly deduction from my paycheck once a month. I am proud to say money extremely well spent. It provides me with all the perks a union contract provides.I won't bore or boast about the details.
But our dues are also allocated towards projects like this campaign at the ports. I know the officers of my local are down there in long beach supporting your xpo brothers as we speak.
Maybe a little recognition is in order when the teamsters get involved with something that deserves that respect.

Doesn't really matter. A " super port " is being built on the Mexican side. More and more of the containers are going to Mexico every day. And they are adjusting to handle the traffic. Those drivers that are striking need to be looking for new work. The strike will not benefit them.

Plenty of jobs out here, anyway. They are stupid to be hanging onto a gig that they have to " pay to play ".

I'm learning about the 15 year waits and struggling youngsters FROM AMERICANS. You're making very broad assumptions based upon where I am from. To suggest a Canadian driver isn't aware of what's happening down there tells me that you don't understand just how much Canadian trucking depends on America. You DO have those problems because I've spoken to the drivers laid off as a consequence. Have you?

And do not patronize me about how hard it was in the 1970's because I am well aware. I didn't say the younger generation has it harder, I said OUR CHALLENGES ARE DIFFERENT. And they are, not that you would know. Just getting your foot in the door at a cheap OTR job is hard and the pay is abysmal.

I respectfully ask that you not put words in my mouth before understanding what it is I said. I'm not the ignorant kid you think I am, and you know less about me than I can assume about you.
15 years to get a bid? Not working here or anywhere else. That's just b.s. What company would do that and who'd work there? If they're sitting home too much to be able to feed their families get a job somewhere else. This isn't Europe yet.Besides if it was up to me I'd take off every Monday and Friday so they could work. Somebody get this or other companies to go along with it.