XPO | Union Rep in parking lot

First of all there is no flaw in seniority. It is the holy grail of unionism. It is purest system to eliminate favoritism, nepotism, discrimination etc.

Old and decrepit? I was talking about after years of small injuries coming back to haunt you later in your career. Believe me young man, you will be there one day. And you won't appreciate the company that you busted your ass for eliminating you and replacing you with a young fresh back.
As far as comparing the driving skills of the young compared to the "mature". You are correct about the reaction time. But personally I have adapted as I have aged. I no longer take the chances I once did when I was younger.Give more space, eye lead time, reduced speed etc. It is my opinion that I am a much safer driver then I was 30yrs ago. And most guys my age are much safer then most of the youngsters we share the roads with.
My strength is just fine.I would arm wrestle you and take your money if you like.
so......60 yrs. Of age and I have to step down and hand the keys to a pimple face? That's it? Father time owes me nothing at that point? Wow thats ignorant! Seriously young lad.You have a lot to learn about respect. But you wouldn't understand because you are about 30 give or take a couple. Correct? Hopefully you are getting ready to purchase your first home. Starting a family. Buy a couple cars.A couple vacations a year.That home is going to be a thirty year commitment on it's own.
Now fast forward to your early to mid sixties. Your home is close to being paid off but not quite. Maybe you took a second out to send your kids to college and help pay some of your mother in laws medical bills etc.etc.
DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR SENIORITY TO BE IN JEOPARDY DUE TO
YOUR SLIGHT DECLINE IN PRODUCTION AND LOSE YOUR LIVELIHOOD TO A YOUNG NEW HIRE?
Teamster Elvis...that's one of the best posts I've ever read on here! And as The King himself would say..."Thank you, thank you very much!"

I never said I didn't think seniority was important. Our city start times and linehaul schedules are done in seniority order. What I do have a problem with is a hog board where the junior man starves while the senior man is either running excellent miles every day on his 10 or on overtime in the city.
Let's be real here...those 'clock-milkers' you're talking about are at every LTL. We've ALL been the bottom guy at one point or another in our careers, and it sucks. But, with time, you move up. Patience is a virtue, and virtue is its own reward.

15 years to get a bid? Not working here or anywhere else. That's just b.s. What company would do that and who'd work there? If they're sitting home too much to be able to feed their families get a job somewhere else. This isn't Europe yet.Besides if it was up to me I'd take off every Monday and Friday so they could work. Somebody get this or other companies to go along with it.
The drivers I'd spoken to had moved on to other work since. And I think they should maybe put up a volunteer board of some kind so senior drivers can volunteer time off if they like. Maybe that'd be a better way? I could be misguided.

Let's be real here...those 'clock-milkers' you're talking about are at every LTL. We've ALL been the bottom guy at one point or another in our careers, and it sucks. But, with time, you move up. Patience is a virtue, and virtue is its own reward.

Clock millers can do what they'd like, I'm not getting into that. But when their actions cost a lower man days of work, that isn't brotherhood.

No matter how you feel about it--pro or con--the bottom line is that without fresh blood, the union and the unionized carriers both will die. YRC is the most obvious example of this. How many young (say, under 50) drivers do they have working? That is an unsustainable situation.

I see a hell of a lot of truly young (say, well under 30), even newly licensed drivers getting hired on at Old Dominion. Sometimes I shake my head, thinking 1: you have no idea how good you have it being able to get a good LTL frieght job at that age and that early in your career, and 2: you don't have enough experience to deal with the driving demands alone without tearing stuff up. But they are pulling it off. It is a trial by fire, and I'm sure many fail, but for those who survive, the company can count on loyalty.

I think they are smart and looking long-term. Union or non, these freight companies need a diverse age range to ensure their overall health and long-term viability.

IBT_TSHIRT_Keep_Calm_Navy.jpg

No matter how you feel about it--pro or con--the bottom line is that without fresh blood, the union and the unionized carriers both will die. YRC is the most obvious example of this. How many young (say, under 50) drivers do they have working? That is an unsustainable situation.

I see a hell of a lot of truly young (say, well under 30), even newly licensed drivers getting hired on at Old Dominion. Sometimes I shake my head, thinking 1: you have no idea how good you have it being able to get a good LTL frieght job at that age and that early in your career, and 2: you don't have enough experience to deal with the driving demands alone without tearing stuff up. But they are pulling it off. It is a trial by fire, and I'm sure many fail, but for those who survive, the company can count on loyalty.

I think they are smart and looking long-term. Union or non, these freight companies need a diverse age range to ensure their overall health and long-term viability.

In my barn I see a lot of the professional dock workers getting their CDL's. They are just starting ( slow learners) to see their option's at bid time,start time and earnings potential as the old guy's retire or expire.
Then their are the one's that can't pass a drug test. Never could figure why not random test dock workers.

They do at Holland when its slow called company convenience day
They wouldn't allow us to do it at my old terminal. The only way that we could help the junior guys was to use our sick days and pass overtime down to them(on the dock at night) by going home and letting them stay. I did it often when I could see the junior guys were about to get forced to go home, but most of our city hogs wouldn't do it for their junior brothers.

I take a CC day every week. I only want 60 hours.
Our regional manager stopped the use of CC days ( apparently it's the regional manager's discretion ) It's not a popular decision for a lot of reasons - it helped keep the senior drivers fresh , it allowed junior drivers to run , and it kept morale up.

Why burn out the senior drivers and starve out the junior ones? And , then make drivers burn up vacation time when CC days seem to be a win-win for everyone? Why?

Last edited:
Our regional manager stopped the use of CC days ( apparently it's the regional manager's discretion ) It's not a popular decision for a lot of reasons - it helped keep the senior drivers fresh , it allowed junior drivers to run , and it kept morale up.

Why burn out the senior drivers and starve out the junior ones? And , then make drivers burn up vacation time when CC days seem to be a win-win for everyone? Why?
I don't get that. Junior guys run, senior guys take the night off if they want. Win win. Here in Canada, it's company policy to only work 60 in a week. They have to pay us OT if we work past 60. We still work 70, but at least we get paid for it.