ABF | Union Rep ?

sandmanadream

TB Lurker
Credits
My terminal manger spoke to me about my old job at YRC and said the union steward from YRC came and talked to her today. She said the union steward was talking bad about me and wanted to know how I was doing? I worked at YRC 13 years and seen first hand on some of the deals he made with the terminal manger and I have no respect for him at all. After coming back to work after 11 months laid off I have to watch out for the union steward from my old job at YRC? He and the old terminal manger got me blacked ball from working casual at YRC telling the new Terminal manger I was trouble . Can I request to keep him off ABF property ? Can I contact somebody other then my local to file a complaint ? Thanks Sandman

My terminal manger spoke to me about my old job at YRC and said the union steward from YRC came and talked to her today. She said the union steward was talking bad about me and wanted to know how I was doing? I worked at YRC 13 years and seen first hand on some of the deals he made with the terminal manger and I have no respect for him at all. After coming back to work after 11 months laid off I have to watch out for the union steward from my old job at YRC? He and the old terminal manger got me blacked ball from working casual at YRC telling the new Terminal manger I was trouble . Can I request to keep him off ABF property ? Can I contact somebody other then my local to file a complaint ? Thanks Sandman

More details are necessary to provide a response.

If, in fact, your former Steward; or any other former bargaining unit coworker is speaking ill of you, he/she is violating their oath, “I will never knowingly harm a fellow member.”

Breakroom chatter is one thing. What you describe is an active measure to discredit a coworker. Unforgiveable!

I can think of no reason why a YRC Steward would be interacting with an ABF manager on any other level than professionally and/or cordially, while in full view at all times.

File charges on him, that takes balls for him to go to your new employer & talk ::shit:: about you.... Start at the local level first, if that don’t work you will have to go higher....

I'm not saying it didn't happen and if it did that steward is a lowlife pos. But remember that management is.. well... management , known and proven to lie their ass off for any or no reason at all.

I'm not saying it didn't happen and if it did that steward is a lowlife pos. But remember that management is.. well... management , known and proven to lie their ass off for any or no reason at all.
If this is not true & the Tm made this up for what ever reason, I would call human resources & file a complaint. Don't know if anything would be done but he/she will think twice....

Sounds like my TM.... He used to like talking to my former steward (who is senior man, and not steward at that time) about everything from possible discipline to medical issues of other teamsters. Senior man was all too happy to throw brothers under the bus.

Any TM should be well aware of the sensitivity of getting “chummy” with any Union guy.........There’s only one reason they do it,......to create suspicion and division in the workforce.

If he........casually.........mentions he’s talking to so-and-so about ........all sorts of things....in a friendly manner,..he knows you’re going to regard So-and-So with a little bit of a critical eye.
That’s exactly what he wants.....

The ONLY reason a rank-and-file guy fawns around after management is so he can hope to curry favor with his employer ........at the expense of his fellow employees....
(⊙▃⊙) Germany was full of these kinds of people.

You can work with,....and even respect,.....your boss. But you will never be his friend. He’s in a different world than you are.

And,......the alarm bells should be going off in your head,....when he starts schmoozing you,......same as when you’re dealing with a car salesman who knows your checkbook is in your pocket....

Any TM should be well aware of the sensitivity of getting “chummy” with any Union guy.........There’s only one reason they do it,......to create suspicion and division in the workforce.

If he........casually.........mentions he’s talking to so-and-so about ........all sorts of things....in a friendly manner,..he knows you’re going to regard So-and-So with a little bit of a critical eye.
That’s exactly what he wants.....

The ONLY reason a rank-and-file guy fawns around after management is so he can hope to curry favor with his employer ........at the expense of his fellow employees....
**** Germany was full of these kinds of people.

You can work with,....and even respect,.....your boss. But you will never be his friend. He’s in a different world than you are.

And,......the alarm bells should be going off in your head,....when he starts schmoozing you,......same as when you’re dealing with a car salesman who knows your checkbook is in your pocket....
All excellent points, canary. This kinda stuff happens more than we’d care to admit. Before I retired, I saw a lot of that kinda crap at my barn. I’d come in at 5:30/6:00pm after a 200-mile loop, 17 stops on the liftgate, then pickups, and here’s our ‘shop steward’ sitting on his ass for the last hour-and-a-half BSing with the TM, when he should’ve had his butt out there helping. Master clock-milker this fellow was. I’d lost what little respect I had for both of them years ago.

A Steward,.....as ADVOCATE for the employees AND the Union,.......should be setting the good example by being the hardest-working guy in the barn.....If you are, that defeats ALL company attempts to portray Union guys as "lazy"...
Really helps out during grievance hearings........

The Steward,....being a CHEERLEADER for how competent Union Labor is,.......should be taking as much of the "oddball" stuff there is to take,....and, applying Union rules,...telling the company HOW the "oddball" stuff should be delivered, in compliance with the contract, OSHA, Federal, State, and Local laws, and personal safety...........instead of letting the company establish a..."grey area"....for how things get delivered........(..grey area:..All methods are O.K...until something or someone gets broken or hurt....Then the Driver is at fault in ALL cases...).....and just letting the company force junior employees into,....sometimes compromising,...situations....

The Steward should hold the company management at an arm's length..........Respectful, professional, disinterested in the private goings-on in management lives........and at ALL times remembering WHO he is an Advocate for......

If a guy takes a Steward's position so he can feel "secure" in his ability to do far less than every other employee,..........VOTE HIM OUT!
HE IS A POISON THAT THE COMPANY WILL THROW IN THE UNION'S FACE , EVERY CHANCE THEY GET!

It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the employees at any Barn, to insure the Steward is the Best Guy They Have,....NOT the Best Schmoozer.....

A Steward,.....as ADVOCATE for the employees AND the Union,.......should be setting the good example by being the hardest-working guy in the barn.....If you are, that defeats ALL company attempts to portray Union guys as "lazy"...
Really helps out during grievance hearings........

The Steward,....being a CHEERLEADER for how competent Union Labor is,.......should be taking as much of the "oddball" stuff there is to take,....and, applying Union rules,...telling the company HOW the "oddball" stuff should be delivered, in compliance with the contract, OSHA, Federal, State, and Local laws, and personal safety...........instead of letting the company establish a..."grey area"....for how things get delivered........(..grey area:..All methods are O.K...until something or someone gets broken or hurt....Then the Driver is at fault in ALL cases...).....and just letting the company force junior employees into,....sometimes compromising,...situations....

The Steward should hold the company management at an arm's length..........Respectful, professional, disinterested in the private goings-on in management lives........and at ALL times remembering WHO he is an Advocate for......

If a guy takes a Steward's position so he can feel "secure" in his ability to do far less than every other employee,..........VOTE HIM OUT!
HE IS A POISON THAT THE COMPANY WILL THROW IN THE UNION'S FACE , EVERY CHANCE THEY GET!

It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the employees at any Barn, to insure the Steward is the Best Guy They Have,....NOT the Best Schmoozer.....
Well, unfortunately, an election would’ve sealed my fate had I suggested one while employed there. This fellow was very ‘crafty’ and had ‘allegiance’ from 80% of the ‘brotherhood’ there. VERY small barn with only a few guys...so it was obvious who the ‘teacher’s pets’ were.....and I was FAR from that. I called him out on a few things early in my employment there, and from then on, I knew where I stood by the crap he used to pull on me, and me alone. All water under the bridge at this point. I haven’t seen him since I left, and I don’t care to. But if I do, I have some carefully chosen words for him.