SAIA | Union talk

gearraker

TB Regular
Credits
Can the mods please remove the trouble making members off the saia thread...its getting a little old...with all the union talk...think there use to be a rule against it

Can you explain to me please why we have city drivers getting 55 hours while we have another city driver who was only able to get 26? Why is this even allowed to happen? How can this place justify one man getting 10 hours of over time while one driver can't even get 40? Tell me how a terminal manager can even let this happen?

It's called starving out unproductive workers . Unless you haven't noticed the harder you work here the more they ask you to do so if your lazy then you get the leftovers while the go getters get the hours . This is a way of getting rid of you without having to fire you they hope sooner or later that you will get tired of 26 hrs a week and just move on . If you want the hours you have to be aggressive and go for it . Don't be afraid to do the sucky stops like grocery warehouses and catos. Don't mope around complaining about your job all the time either.

In Texas the senior guys get all the hours. The 8:30 start times on the established peddle P&D routes get all they want. The earlier you start doesn't mean the earlier you get off. We have start times of 8:30 ....10:30 .... 11:30 .... 12:00 .... 3:00 ..... for city P&D. The 8:30 and 10:30 unassigned positions always get the early appointments and they get even more hours. But many seniors like to have an established route. The later you start usually the less hours you get. And for the most part start times are done by seniority. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. A 25 year that is extremely productive will most certainly start before a less productive driver. He will be the one called in early to run that liftgate pup or bobtail in residential areas or Starbucks as an example. I have never concerned myself with who gets what. Personally, if I got those I wouldn't last here. I could care less about what others get. I'm lucky my dispatcher knows how to utilize his drivers so that he gets the most out of them. The older drivers usually get the swaps and other stops that are time consuming. After all why would you want to waste the faster drivers on stops in which you have to hurry up and wait. As a former dispatcher I most certainly wouldn't. That's just one reason why unions hurt companies productivity. If I owned a company I would pay my best guys more money. It would be performance based. I would most certainly not pay my workers the same scale across the board. Where is the incentive in that? Anyway, just my opinion. Good day men.

In Texas the senior guys get all the hours. The 8:30 start times on the established peddle P&D routes get all they want. The earlier you start doesn't mean the earlier you get off. We have start times of 8:30 ....10:30 .... 11:30 .... 12:00 .... 3:00 ..... for city P&D. The 8:30 and 10:30 unassigned positions always get the early appointments and they get even more hours. But many seniors like to have an established route. The later you start usually the less hours you get. And for the most part start times are done by seniority. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. A 25 year that is extremely productive will most certainly start before a less productive driver. He will be the one called in early to run that liftgate pup or bobtail in residential areas or Starbucks as an example. I have never concerned myself with who gets what. Personally, if I got those I wouldn't last here. I could care less about what others get. I'm lucky my dispatcher knows how to utilize his drivers so that he gets the most out of them. The older drivers usually get the swaps and other stops that are time consuming. After all why would you want to waste the faster drivers on stops in which you have to hurry up and wait. As a former dispatcher I most certainly wouldn't. That's just one reason why unions hurt companies productivity. If I owned a company I would pay my best guys more money. It would be performance based. I would most certainly not pay my workers the same scale across the board. Where is the incentive in that? Anyway, just my opinion. Good day men.

Excellent post train!
This wonderful post explains why unions exist today and will continue to exist into the future.
Your post explains much more eloquently the desperate need for teamster representation then I ever could have.
Thank you! And PLEASE keep up the good work!

Excellent post train!
This wonderful post explains why unions exist today and will continue to exist into the future.
Your post explains much more eloquently the desperate need for teamster representation then I ever could have.
Thank you! And PLEASE keep up the good work!
When the Teamsters gain another major LTL player let me know. OD is the best in the business and they got that way union free. No one even comes close to them. What the Teamsters have today in the LTL market is all they will ever have. They will never gain anymore. And the biggest reason for that is in the union forums on this very site. I read their post everyday and give thanks everyday that SAIA is union free.

When the Teamsters gain another major LTL player let me know. OD is the best in the business and they got that way union free. No one even comes close to them. What the Teamsters have today in the LTL market is all they will ever have. They will never gain anymore. And the biggest reason for that is in the union forums on this very site. I read their post everyday and give thanks everyday that SAIA is union free.
OD has plenty of problems as of late and might find themselves in this boat with saia!

So you kicked him out because someone was honest and was telling the truth about stuff that happens at this company because you guys are in denial