FedEx Freight | Union....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner2000

TB Lurker
Credits
Just rambling here....I'm sure most of you are either for or against the Union. I've noticed an uptick in Union activity within the last several months. Personally, I'm for it, but how do you get everyone at all the other locations on board without Fed-Ex Freight shuttering its doors? For something like the Union to come in, it's going to take all the facilities and all the Fed-Ex employees nationwide to accomplish this feat at the same time frame. Such a feat is near impossible due to the divisions in opinions and nay-sayers or the weak kneed. I'm for the union for various reasons (wasn't always like this) especially the so-called retirement plan offered by Fed-Ex is at a low 3% 401k when they made 5.8 billion toward Fed-Ex's 45.8 billion. It's absurd to think they made that much and we're stuck at 3 points. I think they can afford to toss in some more percentage points, after all, we helped make them that money with our blood and sweat. Without us, the employee, they would make nothing. You have to really ask yourself, what you're going to have money wise, when and if, you retire from Fed Ex Freight or other Fed Ex branches.

Just rambling here....I'm sure most of you are either for or against the Union. I've noticed an uptick in Union activity within the last several months. Personally, I'm for it, but how do you get everyone at all the other locations on board without Fed-Ex Freight shuttering its doors? For something like the Union to come in, it's going to take all the facilities and all the Fed-Ex employees nationwide to accomplish this feat at the same time frame. Such a feat is near impossible due to the divisions in opinions and nay-sayers or the weak kneed. I'm for the union for various reasons (wasn't always like this) especially the so-called retirement plan offered by Fed-Ex is at a low 3% 401k when they made 5.8 billion toward Fed-Ex's 45.8 billion. It's absurd to think they made that much and we're stuck at 3 points. I think they can afford to toss in some more percentage points, after all, we helped make them that money with our blood and sweat. Without us, the employee, they would make nothing. You have to really ask yourself, what you're going to have money wise, when and if, you retire from Fed Ex Freight or other Fed Ex branches.
With only 3 of 367 terminals having voted to unionize there is no leverage to cause Fedex to give a better deal to those 3 than the overwhelming majority of non union ones. Probably will be voted back out in a year when those 3 are allowed to revote. As far as the 401k we actually get a match of 3.5 percent on the first 6 percent we contribute. Also keep in mind the fedex pension that is funded solely by the company. We are very fortunate to have this kind of pension instead of the multiemployer pensions of many of the union carriers. Those guys are facing terrible reductions to their payouts due to being underfunded after the new legislation just passed by the Obama administration. Some of them could be reduced to receiving only 13k per year as a worst case scenario. While I agree that a better match for our 401k would be nice and may happen now that our profits are on the upswing, I wouldn't want to risk our future on the unions empty promises. The teamster membership has declined by over 1,000,000 members during the same time that Fedex Freight has grown to be the number 1 carrier in the LTL industry. This is not a coincidence due to many factors such as us being more efficient, more flexible, better technology, upgrading equipment and facilities etc. Many of the union carriers are hamstrung by contracts that don't allow enough profit to be put back into things to allow for growth and long term viability for their companies. I for one trust Fedex,s track record of growth and sustainability over the teamsters record of losing members,corporate bankruptcies and especially corruption.

With only 3 of 367 terminals having voted to unionize there is no leverage to cause Fedex to give a better deal to those 3 than the overwhelming majority of non union ones. Probably will be voted back out in a year when those 3 are allowed to revote. As far as the 401k we actually get a match of 3.5 percent on the first 6 percent we contribute. Also keep in mind the fedex pension that is funded solely by the company. We are very fortunate to have this kind of pension instead of the multiemployer pensions of many of the union carriers. Those guys are facing terrible reductions to their payouts due to being underfunded after the new legislation just passed by the Obama administration. Some of them could be reduced to receiving only 13k per year as a worst case scenario. While I agree that a better match for our 401k would be nice and may happen now that our profits are on the upswing, I wouldn't want to risk our future on the unions empty promises. The teamster membership has declined by over 1,000,000 members during the same time that Fedex Freight has grown to be the number 1 carrier in the LTL industry. This is not a coincidence due to many factors such as us being more efficient, more flexible, better technology, upgrading equipment and facilities etc. Many of the union carriers are hamstrung by contracts that don't allow enough profit to be put back into things to allow for growth and long term viability for their companies. I for one trust Fedex,s track record of growth and sustainability over the teamsters record of losing members,corporate bankruptcies and especially corruption.

Hammer, not be a pest, but while your point of "leverage" is correct, you know that the 8 that pulled their vote (and many others), are watching closely to see if the Company comes around, as promised. Some have posted some positive changes since this all began. Others have seen little or no change. Fingers crossed and patience is in order at this point... I think.

Hammer, not be a pest, but while your point of "leverage" is correct, you know that the 8 that pulled their vote (and many others), are watching closely to see if the Company comes around, as promised. Some have posted some positive changes since this all began. Others have seen little or no change. Fingers crossed and patience is in order at this point... I think.
I take it you have seen the changes for the one that voted yes they will see none due to the fact that's an unfair labor practice as the ONION sees it.

While I agree with your points, we still need to think about when we retire. Healthcare reform has made a mess of things financially, even though the cost of gas is low now, who knows what it'll be when we get to the sunset. I do agree with your point on the Union in losing members over the years, which is why the Central States Plan is in a shambles and the Union would love Fed-Ex to unionize. Most of the other Pension plans, especially the one I had money invested via the Union, are doing well. The Central Plan has always had issues ever since Hoff Sr. was at the helm and 'loaned' money from that fund to mobsters. The Central States has never truly recovered from that. Also, another point, most of the union employees that worked from previous union outfits that have gone broke, are collecting their retirements from the companies that are still contributing into the fund, which are YRC (Postponed payments) and ABF under the MAster Freight Trade Agreement. These two companies are funding the retirements of others who never worked for their companies. This also is an issue. I mean why would one company pay out a retirement to a bunch of people that never worked for their company? I can also understand Fed Ex not wanting to Unionize because a bunch of their contribution money would be wasted on people that never worked for them. Its one of the reasons why there is a pension reform in the works. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-11/congress-says-it-has-to-cut-pensions-to-save-them

Sucks to be them, but why collect money you're not really entitled to?

As far as matching the 401k, I worked at one place last year that was matching up to five percent, and up to eight percent if the money was there. It was that company's way of retaining employees and grateful towards their employees. I think Fed Ex can well afford to throw in a few percentage points.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the Union is the answer, but I would like to see a better retirement, better health benefits and a better working environment where you don't have to worry about getting wrote up for minor offenses like being one minute over the six hour rule, playing a radio, punching in too early by a minute and the other garbage policies that slow progress. Or, having management eyeballing you while you work hoping you make a mistake so they can write you up or terminate you.

Purple hammer uses insult too.....just uses a lot of pretty company favoring words to do so................more of your blood and sweat wasted.......right into his pay.

It's funny how the only time you post is when it's anti-Union post just crawl back under your rock. It seem you have nothing useful to add other than insults.

It's funny how the only time you post is when it's anti-Union post just crawl back under your rock. It seem you have nothing useful to add other than insults.

Lol ok go make another screen name like before, because nobody pays any attention to the one you have now.

While I agree with your points, we still need to think about when we retire. Healthcare reform has made a mess of things financially, even though the cost of gas is low now, who knows what it'll be when we get to the sunset. I do agree with your point on the Union in losing members over the years, which is why the Central States Plan is in a shambles and the Union would love Fed-Ex to unionize. Most of the other Pension plans, especially the one I had money invested via the Union, are doing well. The Central Plan has always had issues ever since Hoff Sr. was at the helm and 'loaned' money from that fund to mobsters. The Central States has never truly recovered from that. Also, another point, most of the union employees that worked from previous union outfits that have gone broke, are collecting their retirements from the companies that are still contributing into the fund, which are YRC (Postponed payments) and ABF under the MAster Freight Trade Agreement. These two companies are funding the retirements of others who never worked for their companies. This also is an issue. I mean why would one company pay out a retirement to a bunch of people that never worked for their company? I can also understand Fed Ex not wanting to Unionize because a bunch of their contribution money would be wasted on people that never worked for them. Its one of the reasons why there is a pension reform in the works. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-11/congress-says-it-has-to-cut-pensions-to-save-them

As far as matching the 401k, I worked at one place last year that was matching up to five percent, and up to eight percent if the money was there. It was that company's way of retaining employees and grateful towards their employees. I think Fed Ex can well afford to throw in a few percentage points.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the Union is the answer, but I would like to see a better retirement, better health benefits and a better working environment where you don't have to worry about getting wrote up for minor offenses like being one minute over the six hour rule, playing a radio, punching in too early by a minute and the other garbage policies that slow progress. Or, having management eyeballing you while you work hoping you make a mistake so they can write you up or terminate you.[/QUOTE

Anyway, I'm not sure if the Union is the answer, but I would like to see a better retirement, better health benefits and a better working environment where you don't have to worry about getting wrote up for minor offenses like being one minute over the six hour rule, playing a radio, punching in too early by a minute and the other garbage policies that slow progress. Or, having management eyeballing you while you work hoping you make a mistake so they can write you up or terminate you.

I agree that better benefits are important. With the current shortage of qualified drivers the market is in our favor to get them,as well as more pay. Your mentioning the corruption of Hoffa Sr. should set off warning bells about the head teamster Hoffa Jr. The Apple didn't fall very far from the tree on that one. Would you really trust him over what we have now? As far as the work rules, the way things have changed for the better should be an encouragement that management got the message. The union companies have stricter policies than us on many issues. Just for example at UPS freight the vector on their tractors even lets dispatch know if the driver didn't blow the horn before backing triggering action by dispatch. Just saying the grass isn't always greener......

They are NOT gonna shutter the doors on Fedex Freight if you join the Teamsters. They're a million light years from broke. If they'd even think of it they don't deserve to have business in this country.

He's making it up as he goes. "Professionals" somehow think they deserve tens or hundreds of thousands for it. Just so it " sounds" or "looks" good.

Let me ask if I may...sounds like you were a former union employee, why are you no longer a union employee and why did you seek employment at FedEx?

I agree that better benefits are important. With the current shortage of qualified drivers the market is in our favor to get them,as well as more pay. Your mentioning the corruption of Hoffa Sr. should set off warning bells about the head teamster Hoffa Jr. The Apple didn't fall very far from the tree on that one. Would you really trust him over what we have now? As far as the work rules, the way things have changed for the better should be an encouragement that management got the message. The union companies have stricter policies than us on many issues. Just for example at UPS freight the vector on their tractors even lets dispatch know if the driver didn't blow the horn before backing triggering action by dispatch. Just saying the grass isn't always greener......

I'm not saying Hoffa Jr. is any better, but Hoffa Sr did quite a bit for the labor movement even if through the use of the mob. I'm talking modern companies, such as Fed Ex, making obscene amounts of profit at our expense, and working employees like they are slave property. Sometimes, even in this day and age, the working class likes to be treated like they're human. The work rules, in reality at Fed Ex, are stricter than the Unionized companies. I know this, since I used to work at one. You also would have labor protection and can't be fired for trivial things such as going over the six hour rule, failure to punch out on time, management harassment, etc. A driver, or dock worker or mechanic just can't be fired, or tried by the kangaroo court system Fed Ex offers. I've seen guys fired for stupid things that any other company would just say 'don't do that again'. As far as UPS freight using vectors, I'm in doubt over this vector system able to detect such things like an air horn. The air horn has no sensor to detect, nor would it be patched into the ECM, which the vector system reads information. I'm not trying to start an argument, but that is a bit far-fetched. Regardless, we at Fed Ex, have to use the horn when we back up.

Regardless of this pointless argument, this is one of the reasons why a Union is going to have to happen. It might not ever happen, but we can try and say we had a helping hand in it. We want a better retirement, better health insurance, better pay etc. Most important, a better working environment. Night time differential pay would be a nice point also. Why work graveyards for the same rate of pay, ruining your health and safety, for the same pay as a man working days? Any unionized, or any other company I've worked for in the past, always paid something for working nights. Why is Fed Ex cheap about that?

I add the quote from the great author Charles Bukowski, which fits working at Fed Ex:

“How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 8:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, s**t, p**s, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? ”

Let me ask if I may...sounds like you were a former union employee, why are you no longer a union employee and why did you seek employment at FedEx?

I was a union employee at one point. I worked at YRC/Yellow. I left when the 'Amen' crowd voted in for wage and pension cuts on the second round of voting. Everyone was concerned about losing their jobs. I still know most of the guys still working there and they are essentially working for free and have no future retirement. YRC executives are reaping the rewards financially. I do like working at Fed Ex, which is why I came over here. Regardless if they become union or not, I plan on staying. Even though the company is basically ****** the working man over the coals, there are still some good points about working here. One is job security, two, it is the largest non-union carrier that offers something in terms of a fair health care plan - not the best, but better than most. Now, personally, I think the company should pay for medical. Why should we have to pay a good chunk of our check towards healthcare when the company is reaping massive profits? The retirement factor is a negative, I think Fed Ex can do substantially better for their employees. Do I think Union is the only way to go? Not necessarily, but it is a good tool for leverage.

Last edited:
I was a union employee at one point. I worked at YRC/Yellow. I left when the 'Amen' crowd voted in for wage and pension cuts. I do like working at Fed Ex, which is why I came over here. Regardless if they become union or not, I plan on staying. Even though the company is basically ****** the working man over the coals, there are still some good points about working here. One is job security, two, it is the largest non-union carrier that offers something in terms of a fair health care plan - not the best, but better than most. The retirement factor is a negative, I think Fed Ex can do substantially better for their employees. Do I think Union is the only way to go? Not necessarily, but it is a good tool for leverage.
You have seen personally what the union has done to YRC. Why would you want their poison over here? We probably will get enhancements to our pay and benefits but it will be due to the competition for qualified drivers due to the current shortage. The union is definitely not the answer. All of their steam is gone. A current UPSF driver told me about the blowing the horn deal. I don't know which horn he meant, but have no reason to think he would lie for no reason. By the way I heard that because of their marginal CSA score that YRC was implementing much harsher rules as well.

You have seen personally what the union has done to YRC. Why would you want their poison over here? We probably will get enhancements to our pay and benefits but it will be due to the competition for qualified drivers due to the current shortage. The union is definitely not the answer. All of their steam is gone. A current UPSF driver told me about the blowing the horn deal. I don't know which horn he meant, but have no reason to think he would lie for no reason. By the way I heard that because of their marginal CSA score that YRC was implementing much harsher rules as well.

What exactly did the union do to yrc? And the CSA score has to do with hazmat paperwork which is a management problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.