SEFL | Union

Curious though, why so adamantly opposed to a union?

Well first I have not been a P&D driver in over 18 years. So OT is pointless for me. I feel my compensation for what I do is fair. My benefits fit our needs ( my family).

I talk to several YRC drivers every night. They claim to be far behind us in pay still after the pay cuts from the recession. My uncle is a retired Teamsters that has had his pension cut.

If I ever feel under paid or over worked I would find another job to fix that problem. I always do my job to the best of my abilities and not worry about what the next man was doing or not doing.

Well first I have not been a P&D driver in over 18 years. So OT is pointless for me. I feel my compensation for what I do is fair. My benefits fit our needs ( my family).

I talk to several YRC drivers every night. They claim to be far behind us in pay still after the pay cuts from the recession. My uncle is a retired Teamsters that has had his pension cut.

If I ever feel under paid or over worked I would find another job to fix that problem. I always do my job to the best of my abilities and not worry about what the next man was doing or not doing.
I completely respect and understand your opinion on this. SEFL promotes a Christian culture to benefit themselves. There's nothing Christian in working people to death and over rotating off others to make some number. A Christian company would have a hand book given to everyone on day one and say these are are rules. A Christian company would not let a loyal employee go after 6 months for getting injured while performing their work duties. Overtime should be something that they pay because they want their "internal customers" to know that hour 55 is very much appreciated more than hour 5.

I completely respect and understand your opinion on this. SEFL promotes a Christian culture to benefit themselves. There's nothing Christian in working people to death and over rotating off others to make some number. A Christian company would have a hand book given to everyone on day one and say these are are rules. A Christian company would not let a loyal employee go after 6 months for getting injured while performing their work duties. Overtime should be something that they pay because they want their "internal customers" to know that hour 55 is very much appreciated more than hour 5.
Amen brother. Well said.

Did you see the SDI results? There is no support for a union. 80% are happy as they are. You want to stir up a union go to xpo. They actually need one. Here’s what I would want from a union:
A retirable retirement; what we have now isn’t enough to retire on.
Better wages and benefits; how much of the tax savings went to drivers?
Work rules limiting bad managers ability to harm you.
Protection from termination if you get injured for more than 6 mos
The Teamsters leadership is corrupt and care about only themselves. Don’t look for them to save you. They are too busy trying to save themselves at this time. Hoffa and his cronies will be in deep trouble and will be in a fight for their lives when election time comes around. That’s what happens when you sell out your members. Just read the union forums for the truth. Don’t take my word for it. Educate yourself before you go down that dead end road.

Last edited:
The Teamsters leadership is corrupt and care about only themselves. Don’t look for them to save you. They are too busy trying to save themselves at this time. Hoffa and his cronies will be in deep trouble and will be in a fight for their lives when election time comes around. That’s what happens when you sell out your members. Just read the union forums for the truth. Don’t take my word for it. Educate yourself before you go down that dead end road.
Train the alternative is to trust Saia. If CEO'S and higher ups get to bargain for their pay package us lowly drivers should get a vote on ours. There's more than just the teamsters out there in trucking. Not much but it does exist. I'd rather have a say in my compensation package than have them say take it or leave it.

Also Train this industry has not had a true cost of living since I've been alive. By my calculations you have 21 or 22 years on me. I'd rather have a vote in my remaining years. Good or bad I'd like to have a choice at my place of employment. Who knows word is we maybe co-workers be soon NEMF. We'll find out on Tuesday. Gotta love the rumors lol.

Train the alternative is to trust Saia. If CEO'S and higher ups get to bargain for their pay package us lowly drivers should get a vote on ours. There's more than just the teamsters out there in trucking. Not much but it does exist. I'd rather have a say in my compensation package than have them say take it or leave it.
Rick O’dell our CEO gave us $1.05 hr. this year in P&D and the line is up to 66cpm in the Dallas region.. Top pay in Dallas is $27.22. The N.E. is even higher. I pay $12 weekly (Single) for healthcare and we haven’t had an increase in almost 10 years. A family man pays $35.50 weekly for healthcare. 6% match on 401K .. All jury duty time is paid at our full rate even if it’s weeks. 2 days for Thanksgiving and Christmas paid in full plus all the other major holidays. Free healthcare after 10 years of service. 5 personal days per year. One week of vacation after 1 year of service and 2 weeks after 2 years of service. What does ABF offer in regards to vacation? We drive some of the newest trucks in any LTL fleet. We have won so many safety awards in this industry that I can’t even count them all. The added job security that a contract brings isn’t even a consideration because as long as you do your job safely you won't be fired. We may be hired “at will” but you damn near have to kill someone to lose your job here .... especially with the driver shortage. Now we have the great pension the Teamsters bring that may or may not be there in the end for many of the junior guys now. And cuts are looming for the senior level guys. We are treated more than fair and have no need for a third party. They would just drain our efficiency with restrictive work rules and protection for workers that don’t pull their weight. The Teamsters have an outdated business model that can’t compete with the nons. If we need a supervisor to jump on a forklift to help us reach cut times then that’s what happens. Our supervisors spot trailers. They do what it takes to get the job done. I think we all know how things operate at a Teamsters barn. Totally inefficient and workers that grieve things so petty that it makes me sick. Thanks, but no thanks. And in closing our employee handbook is on our employee portal for all to see. We know what is expected and act accordingly.

Last edited:
Rick O’dell our CEO gave us $1.05 hr. this year in P&D and the line is up to 66cpm in the Dallas region.. Top pay in Dallas is $27.22. The N.E. is even higher. I pay $12 weekly (Single) for healthcare and we haven’t had an increase in almost 10 years. A family man pays $35.50 weekly for healthcare. 6% match on 401K .. All jury duty time is paid at our full rate even if it’s weeks. 2 days for Thanksgiving and Christmas paid in full plus all the other major holidays. Free healthcare after 10 years of service. 5 personal days per year. One week of vacation after 1 year of service and 2 weeks after 2 years of service. What does ABF offer in regards to vacation? We drive some of the newest trucks in any LTL fleet. We have won so many safety awards in this industry that I can’t even count them all. The added job security that a contract brings isn’t even a consideration because as long as you do your job safely you won't be fired. We may be hired “at will” but you damn near have to kill someone to lose your job here .... especially with the driver shortage. Now we have the great pension the Teamsters bring that may or may not be there in the end for many of the junior guys now. And cuts are looming for the senior level guys. We are treated more than fair and have no need for a third party. They would just drain our efficiency with restrictive work rules and protection for workers that don’t pull their weight. The Teamsters have an outdated business model that can’t compete with the nons. If we need a supervisor to jump on a forklift to help us reach cut times then that’s what happens. Our supervisors spot trailers. They do what it takes to get the job done. I think we all know how things operate at a Teamsters barn. Totally inefficient and workers that grieve things so petty that it makes me sick. Thanks, but no thanks. And in closing our employee handbook is on our employee portal for all to see. We know what is expected and act accordingly.

Hey Rat,can you please tell me why Saia has had 3 drivers with over 20+ years of seniority leave there and move on to other freight companies within the last year and at least 2 or 3 that left there with over 10 years? And might I add,they were out of y'alls Dallas and Garland terminals. I mean,if it's such a great and outstanding company I wouldn't think they would give up that time to start over. And why do you guys offer such a big sign on bonus for new hires for both line haul drivers and city drivers cause where I work at,we don't have to offer that kind of money to get drivers to come for us!!!!!!!

BTW Train, you forgot to mention, Saia drivers are not allowed CBs, cel phones, can't eat or drink in your truck
3 year probation for a minor stop sign violation.
Don't know if you are allowed to pick your nose or scratch your fanny.
I guess you can keep that new truck looking better if you don't drop chicken bones in the floor.

Hey Rat,can you please tell me why Saia has had 3 drivers with over 20+ years of seniority leave there and move on to other freight companies within the last year and at least 2 or 3 that left there with over 10 years? And might I add,they were out of y'alls Dallas and Garland terminals. I mean,if it's such a great and outstanding company I wouldn't think they would give up that time to start over. And why do you guys offer such a big sign on bonus for new hires for both line haul drivers and city drivers cause where I work at,we don't have to offer that kind of money to get drivers to come for us!!!!!!!
Many guys just want to try different things. I know many of the guys that left and the reasons vary. SAIA is not the only LTL company where things like that happen. It happens everywhere. It’s the nature of the business. We have our share of issues like everyone else. But for those that leave we have many more that choose to stay. My point is that the Teamsters is not the answer to company related problems.

BTW Train, you forgot to mention, Saia drivers are not allowed CBs, cel phones, can't eat or drink in your truck
3 year probation for a minor stop sign violation.
Don't know if you are allowed to pick your nose or scratch your fanny.
I guess you can keep that new truck looking better if you don't drop chicken bones in the floor.
Not true. Most of those policies have been changed. Because you don’t work here you wouldn’t know that. The 3 year probation policy was dropped. We can eat and drink. Many drivers have CB’s in their trucks and the company allows them as long as you use good judgment. Cell phones are not allowed nor are Bluetooths but most have them anyway. The company is not as bad as you guys want to believe.

Last edited:
Look, my whole point for coming on this thread is to tell the guys at Southeastern that the Teamsters is not the answer. Where you’re solution can be found I can’t say. But it’s not with the Teamsters. As bad as you think you have it you need to remember things could always be worse. It’s not the end of the world. Be grateful for what you have.

Speaking with a forked tongue is what I remember about you.

Matthew 7:1-5
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.