SEFL | Union

Wait until you get injured and only have 6 months to get back to full health and they cut you loose. I've seen some very good people let go cause of this. They played by the rules. Kept their mouths shut and went with the program. That's not Christian behavior to kick people to the curb cause they were injured just doing their job and playing by the rules.

Wait until you get injured and only have 6 months to get back to full health and they cut you loose. I've seen some very good people let go cause of this. They played by the rules. Kept their mouths shut and went with the program. That's not Christian behavior to kick people to the curb cause they were injured just doing their job and playing by the rules.

That is also not true. After 6 months of short term they place you on long term disability. They even hire a lawyer to make sure your "long term disability" is started before the put you on long term disability. Then your job is secure for 18 more months before you are terminated. Most people give up trying to return once they are on long term disability.

That is also not true. After 6 months of short term they place you on long term disability. They even hire a lawyer to make sure your "long term disability" is started before the put you on long term disability. Then your job is secure for 18 more months before you are terminated. Most people give up trying to return once they are on long term disability.
Funny how the three people I know that that has happened to there never had that happen for them. The other guy I know that was battling cancer had to come back prematurely cause he received his letter stating his insurance was going to be cancelled and possibly be relieved from his job. Anyone that's worked there for any length of time knows what games are played there.

Last edited:
Funny how the three people I know that that has happened to there never had that happen for them. The other guy I know that was battling cancer had to come back prematurely cause he received his letter stating his insurance was going to be cancelled and possibly be relieved from his job. Anyone that's worked there for any length of time knows what games are played there.

You may be right but my info is not second hand information!I was out 13 1/2 months. I also just started my 20th year here. The people you know only tell one side of the story.

You may be right but my info is not second hand information!I was out 13 1/2 months. I also just started my 20th year here. The people you know only tell one side of the story.
The story of coming in and working light duty than being let go. I'm not exaggerating or lying.

The story of coming in and working light duty than being let go. I'm not exaggerating or lying.

I did not say you are lying or exaggerating. Unless it happened to you then you are only getting 1 side of the story or reason why someone didn't come back to work. I also know of a few guys that didn't come back off of short term disability. My point was SEFL does not just terminate you due to you being hurt or sick.

You're right you don't get it.
Hahaha.....that’s all you got? Come on man....show me you got more than that. You and your buddies ask for facts and I’m giving you facts that show unions are no good for our great company - and you are supposed to give me some informational feedback to show how the unions are good for us. Someone doesn’t get it....and it’s not me my friend! Do us a favor and go target a company that doesn’t try to treat their people good/fair, neglects respect and doesn’t care about people by laying them off or cutting pay/Benefits when times get tough. Oh, ANNNNDDDD it’s pretty cool to see the Regional people in Operations, hr and safety visit our terminal lately and actually get to carry a conversation with them where they treat you like family also. No company is perfect, but I’d put our company culture up against any inside or outside of this industry!

Wrong Pal,. I received a letter when i was on short term disability and it starte that SEFL reserved the right to terminate you if i was not able to return in six months. True, you go to long term, but they don't save your job. You have to reapply.

Hahaha.....that’s all you got? Come on man....show me you got more than that. You and your buddies ask for facts and I’m giving you facts that show unions are no good for our great company - and you are supposed to give me some informational feedback to show how the unions are good for us. Someone doesn’t get it....and it’s not me my friend! Do us a favor and go target a company that doesn’t try to treat their people good/fair, neglects respect and doesn’t care about people by laying them off or cutting pay/Benefits when times get tough. Oh, ANNNNDDDD it’s pretty cool to see the Regional people in Operations, hr and safety visit our terminal lately and actually get to carry a conversation with them where they treat you like family also. No company is perfect, but I’d put our company culture up against any inside or outside of this industry!
Nope, nothing I say is going to change his mind and I really don't care to beat my head against a wall. When he gets ****ed over or one of his buddies gets ****ed over he will come down off of his perch.

Nope, nothing I say is going to change his mind and I really don't care to beat my head against a wall. When he gets ****ed over or one of his buddies gets ****ed over he will come down off of his perch.
I'm going to go ahead and "drop the mic" on this conversation and say this game is over! You guys sit here and complain that the world is so difficult instead of finding ways to make it better. Drivers like me understand that life is not always easy, but unless we have the heart and the courage to make things better - then you can continue to live in your own selfish, messed up world. As for me.....I'm going to jump in this truck and go serve or customers the best i can because i know that the end of the day - that what i do can create financial stability not only for me and my family, but for my co-workers families as well. And when people are getting laid off because unions strike and people can't make money.......I'll live in peace knowing that the owners of our company are trying to come up with ways to keep us working!!
Make it a great day if you want to friend!!! I know i will!!!

Highly disagree with Southeastern needing a union. I've been with this company for a few years now and although i did like the prior leadership, the new leadership is really personable, they listen to us and I've even heard from a few other fellow drivers that they are starting to hold people accountable - in the right way. I've heard all the "selling" points from other companies that say they have culture and they really care about the people, but they don't always follow through. Well this company continues to get better and just hearing the stories of how the owners continue to look out for the best interest of the people is amazing. This company strives to make sure their people are well taken care of, and that's a HUGE reason why this company has NEVER (let me repeat that for you).....NEVER laid anyone off, never cut pay, never cut benefits. No company is perfect, but this company at least tries their very BEST to live up to their Christian based values because they know it's not just about the associate, but also their loved ones! This is a big reason they continue to find new ways to ensure safety is a top priority, and i appreciate that - as my wife and kids expect me to come home every day and provide for them.

So please have your facts in order before you start stating that Southeastern needs a union, because I continue to live with the company each day, and you sir or ma'am DO NOT speak for those here that know the true culture at Southeastern. You can walk right into the Manager's office right now and have a great conversation or express your concerns and they would listen to you and at least look into your concerns.

Sounds to me like you are one of those people who like to complain and not bring any solutions to the table to help make this great company better.....and doing that doesn't take much effort. Because i can tell you right now that if you even tried to bring a union to Southeastern, up to 80% or more will tell you to take your complaints somewhere else! The owners and senior leadership visit all service centers every year and they even conduct an annual survey that measures how happy their people are. Sounds like a company that wants to know what their people are thinking and how they feel - and not scared to find out.

I can debate this with you all day and have many friends at Southeastern that i know disagree with your lack of facts to support such a vague and false statements.

Matter of fact what are you paying for when you get unions? We have laws now that protect the people. Safe work environment? That's what OSHA is for! Discrimination? Laws protect the people from that too! Pay? Well a union can offer more pay, but doesn't mean you will keep all of your vacation time. Just because a union offers you benefits, they still have to "negotiate" terms. Negotiate doesn't mean they have the power to make changes you think they have. The employer doesn't have to agree to those terms and even if you get more pay, you might lose in other areas you didn't want to. So please enlighten me as to how the union has decreased in membership SIGNIFICANTLY over the years, but seem to be a good deal for the people. Seems to me like the people have left them because they started to remove the wool from over their eyes and realized that union dues could be better off in their pockets - rather than wasted on stuff they aren't really paying for!
Wow, the Kool Aid must be very tasty. I'm not advocating a union. True there has never been any layoffs. you say this company cares about your family but when it comes to their numbers they don't mind keeping you at home without pay rotating you. it's true that there's never been a rate decrease with Southeastern but there has been a pay decrease when they rotate you off and keep you at home when it gets slow. They may have an open door policy and you can express your concerns with the service center manager but that's as far as it will go no follow-up. you can write actions all you want to but if it's not their idea they don't want anything to do with it.

Let's talk about culture. when you're a line-haul driver, how is it taking care of your people completely when you have to wait 2 hours to get a hotel room after you've already been told that you're done for the day? Or when you have to wait 45 minutes to an hour for a taxi, after they just took your truck from you as soon as you get to the terminal? or how about as a city driver they want to put 17 to 20 stops for delivery on you plus your pickups and keep 5 people at the house? How isis th valuing people completely? Living our culture is just a catch phrase. A joke. How about the company going above and beyond for you? again I can sit at a hotel for 2 hours call linehaul management ask to get paid and they tell me it's not in my compensation package. How is that valuing people completely? they want you to come on the yard, break your set, put both trailers to the dock without being compensated.

Spare me the bull crap of leadership really caring. I'm only here to do a job and all SEFL owes me at the end of the week is a paycheck. I'm seen and not heard and frankly that's the way i like it. You can take your KoolAid and drink it. At the end of the day I'm glad i have my job. No Union is going to fix the problems we have. I accept the bull crap here for what it is because it could be a lot worse no doubt. Unless you're a slow learner, you will one day realize all that ass you've kissed ain't going to get you no where. You can be a top preformer, but as soon as you get in a hurry and have an accident or get hurt, they'll throw you under the bus so fast you won't know what hit you.

Wow, the Kool Aid must be very tasty. I'm not advocating a union. True there has never been any layoffs. you say this company cares about your family but when it comes to their numbers they don't mind keeping you at home without pay rotating you. it's true that there's never been a rate decrease with Southeastern but there has been a pay decrease when they rotate you off and keep you at home when it gets slow. They may have an open door policy and you can express your concerns with the service center manager but that's as far as it will go no follow-up. you can write actions all you want to but if it's not their idea they don't want anything to do with it.

Let's talk about culture. when you're a line-haul driver, how is it taking care of your people completely when you have to wait 2 hours to get a hotel room after you've already been told that you're done for the day? Or when you have to wait 45 minutes to an hour for a taxi, after they just took your truck from you as soon as you get to the terminal? or how about as a city driver they want to put 17 to 20 stops for delivery on you plus your pickups and keep 5 people at the house? How isis th valuing people completely? Living our culture is just a catch phrase. A joke. How about the company going above and beyond for you? again I can sit at a hotel for 2 hours call linehaul management ask to get paid and they tell me it's not in my compensation package. How is that valuing people completely? they want you to come on the yard, break your set, put both trailers to the dock without being compensated.

Spare me the bull crap of leadership really caring. I'm only here to do a job and all SEFL owes me at the end of the week is a paycheck. I'm seen and not heard and frankly that's the way i like it. You can take your KoolAid and drink it. At the end of the day I'm glad i have my job. No Union is going to fix the problems we have. I accept the bull crap here for what it is because it could be a lot worse no doubt. Unless you're a slow learner, you will one day realize all that ass you've kissed ain't going to get you no where. You can be a top performer, but as soon as you get in a hurry and have an accident or get hurt, they'll throw you under the bus so fast you won't know what hit you.

Hey the cool thing is.....the door is always open and no one is stopping you from leaving. This is America and we have freedom to leave and pursue other jobs if you are so unhappy! You talk about this company like they have zero heart for people. I guess that's why they encourage SERVE projects every year where the associates at every service center go out to help the needy or the community. Guess the company just likes to waste money in doing the right thing by their values knowing the ultimate goal is to serve others selflessly. Have you ever served? Based on your attitude.....i would guess not! I guess i'm a slow learner because i enjoy serving other less fortunate knowing there is a greater purpose to life and at least this company provides me a way to support my family, and I'm confident they will continue to do that.

Do you even understand what rotation is? Obviously not. All rotation does is allows us to manage our expenses better, so that when the time comes where another recession hits (and i know you are not that "dumb" to realize that it will come again in the near future) you are already preparing your family for that part of the future. The other option that our competitors take that's considered their own personal "rotation" is to leave you high and dry on the unemployment line when the crap hits the roof. Is that the type of rotation you would rather have? If so, go make a buck more somewhere else and then when you eventually get laid off, you can look your wife and kids in the face and tell them that daddy no longer have money coming in to support them. Or you can scrounge up some type of low paying job, downsize into a 1 bedroom shack to save money so you can keep your family afloat!

You are bringing up these 1 time incidents where you have to wait and all of a sudden the world is crashing down on you. You talk about 17 to 20 stops.....well #1 at least we have customers to serve (financial strength) and #2 I've always been told by leadership that all they expect is an honest days work for an honest days pay. I can only get done what they set me up for success for. So if we miss deliveries or pick ups that's something that leadership will have to answer for and NOT ME "if" I have enough integrity to do the right thing and give my best every day. And i've been in meetings where the RVP's and HR have stated that same thing......"just do an honest days work for honest days pay!" So save me your complaints about life being so tough and the job is so hard. You place so much unnecessary stress on yourself and then try to rally up the troops because you say life is so bad, then go home and kick the dog, beat the kids!

Start being the solution and stop being part of the problem. it's really not that hard! I've been homeless before so maybe I have a bit more appreciation for what our owners try to do for our people. I say "try" because although i've been thankful for all they've done, i'm not oblivious that NO company is perfect! But in my experience they sure come close to it!!!!!!

Hey the cool thing is.....the door is always open and no one is stopping you from leaving. This is America and we have freedom to leave and pursue other jobs if you are so unhappy! You talk about this company like they have zero heart for people. I guess that's why they encourage SERVE projects every year where the associates at every service center go out to help the needy or the community. Guess the company just likes to waste money in doing the right thing by their values knowing the ultimate goal is to serve others selflessly. Have you ever served? Based on your attitude.....i would guess not! I guess i'm a slow learner because i enjoy serving other less fortunate knowing there is a greater purpose to life and at least this company provides me a way to support my family, and I'm confident they will continue to do that.

Do you even understand what rotation is? Obviously not. All rotation does is allows us to manage our expenses better, so that when the time comes where another recession hits (and i know you are not that "dumb" to realize that it will come again in the near future) you are already preparing your family for that part of the future. The other option that our competitors take that's considered their own personal "rotation" is to leave you high and dry on the unemployment line when the crap hits the roof. Is that the type of rotation you would rather have? If so, go make a buck more somewhere else and then when you eventually get laid off, you can look your wife and kids in the face and tell them that daddy no longer have money coming in to support them. Or you can scrounge up some type of low paying job, downsize into a 1 bedroom shack to save money so you can keep your family afloat!

You are bringing up these 1 time incidents where you have to wait and all of a sudden the world is crashing down on you. You talk about 17 to 20 stops.....well #1 at least we have customers to serve (financial strength) and #2 I've always been told by leadership that all they expect is an honest days work for an honest days pay. I can only get done what they set me up for success for. So if we miss deliveries or pick ups that's something that leadership will have to answer for and NOT ME "if" I have enough integrity to do the right thing and give my best every day. And i've been in meetings where the RVP's and HR have stated that same thing......"just do an honest days work for honest days pay!" So save me your complaints about life being so tough and the job is so hard. You place so much unnecessary stress on yourself and then try to rally up the troops because you say life is so bad, then go home and kick the dog, beat the kids!

Start being the solution and stop being part of the problem. it's really not that hard! I've been homeless before so maybe I have a bit more appreciation for what our owners try to do for our people. I say "try" because although i've been thankful for all they've done, i'm not oblivious that NO company is perfect! But in my experience they sure come close to it!!!!!!
The like it or leave attitude is exactly what leadership says when you present a problem to them that they are unwilling to fix. For example, the large pay gap between us and other carriers. Many have chosen to leave and we are having difficulty getting quality people. Maybe why you are on here tryin to set the record straight so to speak. It’s a good PR move

Well I don’t want to spoil your honeymoon truckinglife, but I hope your LTL experience remains a happy one which is unlikely(no matter who your with)and you’ll wish you had someone to level the playing field. We’re like chum in the waters

I bet that red and black cheerleading outfit looks real sexy on you. You regurgitate all the talking points from management 101 at SEFL. If I were to bet, you are a manager in training or in fact already in leadership which I hope you are. Let me ask you this, With the corporate tax cuts sefl received from Trump (34% decrease) how is then that they elect to keep it for themselves? A 40% increase of expenditures. All they can do is give us 2 more personal days? Really? So you don't think I'm not thankful for it, I am thankful for those two extra days. They preach about safety but why don't we ever get safety bonuses? Why couldn't they use that 34% savings on giving bonuses like they used to? I'm not going to sit here and argue with you on truckingboards about this but if you spend any time whatsoever with Southeastern Freight Lines you'll learn exactly what we're talking about. but just to be clear I think that the president of our company does care about people. it's the ones that fall underneath him that I feel don't care. And they only display that by their actions.

I bet that red and black cheerleading outfit looks real sexy on you. You regurgitate all the talking points from management 101 at SEFL. If I were to bet, you are a manager in training or in fact already in leadership which I hope you are. Let me ask you this, With the corporate tax cuts sefl received from Trump (34% decrease) how is then that they elect to keep it for themselves? A 40% increase of expenditures. All they can do is give us 2 more personal days? Really? So you don't think I'm not thankful for it, I am thankful for those two extra days. They preach about safety but why don't we ever get safety bonuses? Why couldn't they use that 34% savings on giving bonuses like they used to? I'm not going to sit here and argue with you on truckingboards about this but if you spend any time whatsoever with Southeastern Freight Lines you'll learn exactly what we're talking about. but just to be clear I think that the president of our company does care about people. it's the ones that fall underneath him that I feel don't care. And they only display that by their actions.
I LOVE wearing the red and black, and i had a great workout this morning just so i could look extra SEXY in my outfit for the customers i LOVE to serve each day! Unfortunately, i do not want to go into leadership at this time, but i have been approached about it. I'm very thankful for the personal days as well, and I'm not the expert on what the company does behind the scenes. Now with the Safety bonuses.....we do have an ACTION process to see if that's something that could be an option? We never know until we ask. This company spends alot of money just to meet their people every year for Safety and service awards, and it's VERY rare than any company does that......just so the owners can see their people every year. All i know is that we have never had to cut jobs, but our competitors do it all the time. So i guess we all have a choice to make. 1) Do we just continue to question the decisions of our owners, not realizing that they actually care about our people having their jobs when tough times hit (that's part of financial responsibility). or 2) just start increasing bonuses and pay where we (in the field) don't understand their decisions.....then find ourselves on the street wondering why it's the first time ever we had to have a layoff?? The only reason and company does not have a layoff is due to the owners having a decent gameplan to support their people.

And i agree with you on the people underneath (the dock supervisors etc), but I've also spoken with my Manager about a few things i thought they did, that i did not agree with - and it was taken care of. That's more of a terminal to terminal concern. All i know is that the new Orlando Manager is personable and seems to really care about the people. And all my concerns have been address every time. Now a few years ago that was a bit of an issue, but it's much better now!

The like it or leave attitude is exactly what leadership says when you present a problem to them that they are unwilling to fix. For example, the large pay gap between us and other carriers. Many have chosen to leave and we are having difficulty getting quality people. Maybe why you are on here tryin to set the record straight so to speak. It’s a good PR move
Every company has it, and from a "family" standpoint why would we stay with a company that all we do is complain about. from a PR and personal standpoint......it just makes sense.

The good ol' "large pay gap" excuse once again. Well explain to me how SEFL is the only company to NEVER LAY OFF and i will be more than happy to try and explain to you the large pay gad. Oh....let me help you a little.......it's because the other companies blind you with the pay, but they treat you like crap, tell you promises they can't keep and then they throw you on the street with the recession hits!! So I'll be more than willing to take a little less pay, get treated with respect, have fun doing what im doing......and know that my owners care enough about me that they actually "wisely" look at their expenses to when the tough times hit. Oh.....and my wife and kids agree too!!

Every company has it, and from a "family" standpoint why would we stay with a company that all we do is complain about. from a PR and personal standpoint......it just makes sense.

The good ol' "large pay gap" excuse once again. Well explain to me how SEFL is the only company to NEVER LAY OFF and i will be more than happy to try and explain to you the large pay gad. Oh....let me help you a little.......it's because the other companies blind you with the pay, but they treat you like crap, tell you promises they can't keep and then they throw you on the street with the recession hits!! So I'll be more than willing to take a little less pay, get treated with respect, have fun doing what im doing......and know that my owners care enough about me that they actually "wisely" look at their expenses to when the tough times hit. Oh.....and my wife and kids agree too!!
Sorry friend, but that’s just not true. do you ever hear an OD driver complain about being mistreated? They are paid better. Same with FedEx. We drivers are not simply an expense to be managed. We are a large part of why this company has gotten where it is. You sound just like a rvp! Treat us with respect and we will treat our customers well so that the company continues to prosper. You’ve hired too many kids with no people skills or respect for what we do. Ive seen and experienced the same driver disrespect from sefl managers that happens at our competition. Overall I would say we do a better job than most, but don’t blindly proclaim all is well when you don’t get out of your office enough and ride with us to see reality