R&L | Unprotected Freight!!!!!

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
Anyone heard that we are not supposed to pick up un-protected freight if it is going out "collect"? We can pick up unprotected freight if it is prepaid, and we write on the bill "carrier not responsible for any damage" I wonder if go to a regular customer, who has been shipping "so called" unprotected freight with us for years, "collect" without a problem, if we now refuse to pick it up, what will happen. I'll tell you what will happen, they will call another carrier. Customers are not going to crate everything just to keep shipping with us. We need some clarification on this policy.

At Holland we don not p/u frt reguardless if it is ppd or collect if it is not properly packaged. Its our policy to note on bill otherwise. Not to worry about losing a customer like this. Nobody else will haul it unprotected. GRIZZ

Grizz said:
At Holland we don not p/u frt reguardless if it is ppd or collect if it is not properly packaged. Its our policy to note on bill otherwise. Not to worry about losing a customer like this. Nobody else will haul it unprotected. GRIZZ
Our policy is not clear, a 55 gallon drum could be considered unprotected, tires could be considered unprotected, a used car engine or transmission strapped to a pallett would be considered unprotected, a skid with bags full of whatever (even though it is shrink wrapped) would be considered unprotected. I am not talking about junk freight here, just everyday freight that we all haul. Freight that has never been torn up, for instance, I haul a lot of rebuilt heavy equipment pumps and transmissions that are banded to a heavy duty skid. they are not protected by a crate, we have never torn them up, but now we are to refuse to haul them???? Something is just not right here!!!!

As long as it is on a pallet and secured somehow as to not fall off...I will pick it up! I will go as far as shrink wrapping freight if I have some available. Just remember to note on the bill as I did yesterday. I picked up to skids of old equipment...so I noted on the bill that I picked up 2 skids of used equipment, freight unprotected. I left it at that, dont go putting on the bill that carrier is not responsible for any damage...just not cool.