XPO | UPDATE 2-Con-way profit gets boost from volumes, prices

IR CookieMonster

TB Lurker
Credits
CHICAGO, April 24 (Reuters) - Freight company Con-way Inc. (CNW.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Monday its quarterly net profit rose more than expected on growing demand for its trucking and logistics businesses.

The company, which was known as CNF, Inc. until last week, also benefited from strong pricing in its less-than-truckload business. Weak pricing has plagued other less-than-truckload operators such as Arkansas Best Corp. (ABFS.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

The company's Con-way Freight unit introduced a 5.5 percent price increase April 3.

http://today.reuters.com/business/n...icIndustries&storyID=nN24328704&imageid=&cap=

I wonder what our profit would grow to if we eliminate the un-necessary expenditures like the "pride" program.

Seems to me that freight has fallen off since they increased the pricing and fuel surcharge. Here it is the middle of June. Doesn't seem like its very busy at the re-ships. Shouldn't it have picked up by now? Just my $0.02 worth. What do you think?

RoadRage76 said:
I wonder what our profit would grow to if we eliminate the un-necessary expenditures like the "pride" program.
Don't forget the yes and the yes yes program.Also lets not forget if we cut 6 board members that a savings of 44.000.000.

Most of the time an LTL Company can operate better with less freight....less labor cost, less of a mad scramble to sweep everything out the door, etc. It's alot harder to do everything right when the docks are overrun with freight and people are pulling their hair out trying to work it.

stldude44 said:
Most of the time an LTL Company can operate better with less freight....less labor cost, less of a mad scramble to sweep everything out the door, etc. It's alot harder to do everything right when the docks are overrun with freight and people are pulling their hair out trying to work it.

Good point...

stldude44 said:
Maybe a good point but, us bottom feeders as many of you refer to us as, are really having a hard time getting our hours on the flex! The rate increase really hit me hard in the pocket!!!

It is common knowledge that every time there is a wage increase, the company will find a way to cut back on everything... don't give us the raise, just give us 40 hours.