ABF | Update on Discharge tied to Fred

Maybe I'm mistaken the story, but didn't Fred push a union rep?

The way I read it is that Fred Wilson is the president of local 776. I don't know anything about him but in my opinion a real union man especially an elected official would have done everything in his power to protect his members. And that goes for a push shove or a punch. He should have told ABF it was a chest bump or some other silly gesture of friendship. Nobody would have believed it but it would have given ABF an excuse to avoid that discharge.

Well the last person I would want to shove on the job would be my union rep no matter how much I disagreed with him. After all, he's has my fate in his hands behind the curtain

The first thing you learn in concealed carry class, is to never escalate the situation, because heaven forbid you have to defend yourself against murder or manslaughter charges, any perception of escalation will play really bad before a jury, and can be the difference between a guilty and innocent verdict. That training also carries over into your work life, as I certainly follow that practice at work while not carrying also....and it has served me well.

Our former operations manager was known to be a vindictive sort with a hot temper (little man's complex), and after he was done rankling morale at 130 (PHX) he moved back to one of the LA basin terminals, he got into an argument with an employee and shoved him, and he was immediately terminated.

From that limited viewpoint, ABF seems to be consistent with their policy....sucks to be that guy in the original post though...zero tolerance policies are ridiculous, and take any kind of judgment call out of the equation based upon the individual, that is why a kid is expelled from school for chewing a graham cracker into the shape of a gun.:rolleyes:

It appears to me that the only issue is what Fred did or did not do to help save the fired Teamster's job. It is my opinion that even if Fred had been assaulted he should have done his job as a union official and protected the union member. I would expect that the president of 776, with the backing of the ABF Teamsters at 042, could have put enough pressure on the company to squash the discharge. I have seen it done many times.

Maybe I have it wrong and Fred did stand up for the dockman but that's not the way I'm seeing it.

Roadboss was dead on about Virtue and Snyder. Had either one of these past Leaders been present during this altercation, this guy would still be working with us. They would have taken this guy to the wood shed, straightened him out, and told the Company that nothing happened, period !!! This did not involve the Company and Virtue and Snyder would have told ABF that the video of the incident, needs to disappear. This is what we have to endure at Local 776 all because we have a Prison Guard running one of the biggest Freight Locals in the country. I was not there when the Member blew his stack, but I certainly know what lead up to it. The week prior to the meeting with the Teamster reps, Fred and his BA Parsons walked the dock and yard talking to the Members. They walked around like they had a major chip on their shoulders. (I don't think Fred likes Freight people). When a question from a Member about the Contract was posed to them, they couldn't answer anything !!!!!!! They kept referring to when the boys came in from the IBT, they will be able to answer all your questions. THE ONLY THING THEY COULD OFFER THESE MEMBERS WERE," IF YOU DONT VOTE FOR THIS CONTRACT YOU ARE GOING TO BE BOUGHT BY YRC". Obviously there was so much miss-information and confusion about all the concessions and their lack of guidance to the Members, it had everyone on edge. And I mean everyone ! This unfortunate Member just let it get to him and he took his frustration out on Fred's lack of Leadership. Sadly, it was in front of the Reps from the IBT. Everyone that has been around this Local for the last 10-20 years knows how it would have been handled by it's past Leaders. Also, I believe BA Parson's is the one who pushed the IBT Rep.

Yeah...if it all played out as said, that leader should have taken the route that highlander mentioned, after all he is suppose to be working for us and had he shown leadership, his standing with the members of that barn would have exponentially grown, as it is now...he will be eyed as a scumbag that chose not to use any political capital, to help out a brother.
Pretty typical in the day and age of the political class, like Nancy Pelosi he would want you to vote so that you can find out what is in the contract after the fact.
This same sad story has played out way too many times...Individuals like this are the reason that the unions are in the shape they are in.

Thank you brother highlander,We always take care of our own, reguardles of the situation and never involve an outside source.This should have been handled different.We should not forget come election time.I "am proud to be a teamster.

The first thing you learn in concealed carry class, is to never escalate the situation, because heaven forbid you have to defend yourself against murder or manslaughter charges, any perception of escalation will play really bad before a jury, and can be the difference between a guilty and innocent verdict. That training also carries over into your work life, as I certainly follow that practice at work while not carrying also....and it has served me well.

Our former operations manager was known to be a vindictive sort with a hot temper (little man's complex), and after he was done rankling morale at 130 (PHX) he moved back to one of the LA basin terminals, he got into an argument with an employee and shoved him, and he was immediately terminated.

From that limited viewpoint, ABF seems to be consistent with their policy....sucks to be that guy in the original post though...zero tolerance policies are ridiculous, and take any kind of judgment call out of the equation based upon the individual, that is why a kid is expelled from school for chewing a graham cracker into the shape of a gun.:rolleyes:

The IBT all the way down to the local Unions are giving false information to their members!!! Seems that all they are concerned with is their own pocketbooks, and pensions... If the IBT all the way down to the local unions were being straight with their members this POS contract would have never passed, and the man would not have lost his job. I personally think the IBT and the local unions are to blame for this whole thing, with all the lies that they have been telling it was bound to happen!!! It is too bad that this whole thing had to turn out this way!!!

Well the last person I would want to shove on the job would be my union rep no matter how much I disagreed with him. After all, he's has my fate in his hands behind the curtain

Typical Answer from you... You are dead wrong, YOUR ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN FATE, NOT ANYONE ELSE!!!

Moral of this story...

Member shoves Member = goes to committee
Member shoved Local President= goes to committee
Member shoves Manager= goes to committee
Manager shoves Member= immediately terminated

3 out of 4 times this system is still broken

Moral of this story...

Member shoves Member = goes to committee
Member shoved Local President= goes to committee
Member shoves Manager= goes to committee
Manager shoves Member= immediately terminated

3 out of 4 times this system is still broken

What is your point? Are you saying that the system is broken and the member should be terminated regardless of the circumstances? You are talking about real men not a bunch of sissies . Truck drivers will argue about most anything and sometimes they end up pushing and shoving. That in it self is not reason enough for them to be automatically fired.

What is your point? Are you saying that the system is broken and the member should be terminated regardless of the circumstances? You are talking about real men not a bunch of sissies . Truck drivers will argue about most anything and sometimes they end up pushing and shoving. That in it self is not reason enough for them to be automatically fired.

Real men should not be allowed to shove or box it out at work. Period

I find it strange that they would have a "union" meeting on an "ABF" dock, on company time, with video cameras all around? Since when would ABF pay employees to have a union meeting on the clock? This smells of a setup?

I find it strange that they would have a "union" meeting on an "ABF" dock, on company time, with video cameras all around? Since when would ABF pay employees to have a union meeting on the clock? This smells of a setup?

According to post #3 this happened during the contract meeting at the terminal.

When they want the union to endorse the concessions ....

I worked there 23 years and I don't recall EVER having a union representative address us at any meeting while being on ABF'S time? And with the video cameras capturing every minute of it? That would be held at the union hall or at the local hotel down the road and no ABF personnel would ever be allowed to attend, never mind video tape it? We had many, many barn meetings over the years, and never once on company time or company property? I'm retired and not trying to cause any trouble, but this whole thing just smells funny?

I worked there 23 years and I don't recall EVER having a union representative address us at any meeting while being on ABF'S time? And with the video cameras capturing every minute of it? That would be held at the union hall or at the local hotel down the road and no ABF personnel would ever be allowed to attend, never mind video tape it? We had many, many barn meetings over the years, and never once on company time or company property? I'm retired and not trying to cause any trouble, but this whole thing just smells funny?
Things that make you go hmmm....

According to post #3 this happened during the contract meeting at the terminal.
That is what I read into it. But then I would ask, "why would a negotiating meeting take place at the terminal?"

Our Local President in KC sat in on a "Company Meeting" regarding the contract, then stood up and spoke and more less said it needed to pass... On Company time!!! He also threw an opposing Teamster under the bus who attempted to video tape the meeting as we the Teamsters are now video taped, and he told him to turn it off, The true Teamster was then dismissed from meeting and our Local President did nothing! This Local 41, one of the most former powerful locals in America. Times have changed, we are weak because of the members not just the IBT, we have allowed them to screw us!! Hoffa, Sweeton, Hall should be gone!! But selfish, un-educated Teamsters have hurt us and we now live in a world of Rollin62 Teamsters, so we walk amongst the wounded until we can rebuild... sad... as they get weakened individually, they will wake up, had a few here in KC get hosed in the past couple of weeks and Eat doo doo already..

Our Local President in KC sat in on a "Company Meeting" regarding the contract, then stood up and spoke and more less said it needed to pass... On Company time!!! He also threw an opposing Teamster under the bus who attempted to video tape the meeting as we the Teamsters are now video taped, and he told him to turn it off, The true Teamster was then dismissed from meeting and our Local President did nothing! This Local 41, one of the most former powerful locals in America. Times have changed, we are weak because of the members not just the IBT, we have allowed them to screw us!! Hoffa, Sweeton, Hall should be gone!! But selfish, un-educated Teamsters have hurt us and we now live in a world of Rollin62 Teamsters, so we walk amongst the wounded until we can rebuild... sad... as they get weakened individually, they will wake up, had a few here in KC get hosed in the past couple of weeks and Eat doo doo already..
Shut your mouth & just pay your dues they know what's best for us.....did I Say keep paying your dues....