XPO | Update on XCO

Alright boys and girls! Time for your weekly update from the great state of Ohio on our efforts to gain representation. Low and behold we have finally gained the attention of the upper echelon of management at XGO. Our little rebellion has apparently gained a significant following. Mr Bruce Moss was here today to give us our 1st anti union rally. HooRay! He read from a 4 page statement about Conways stance on Unions. Do I need to tell you what that stance is? Well, lets say they are not happy about what they have heard. He reminded us about Conway eastern and several other instances of terminals being closed because of union activity. They showed us what a union card looks like. Too bad most of us already know what they look like. He did talk about something none of us had heard of. Apparently, the cutbacks in '09 were not not made to bank money because banks weren't lending (as we were told). He said the cuts were made to keep us from filing for bankruptcy. Bankruptcy? I thought the video I got back then said that the company saw "the storm on the horizon" and was being proactive to secure cash on hand so we could act as our own bank. I will need to look at the financials back then, But I call BS. Yet another scare tactic. During one meeting, drivers were giving reasons why people felt they need representation, when one driver said we hadn't seen an increase in pay in 4 years and wanted to know when their last increase was. Guess what he was told? It was none of our business. Not a good way to win friends. There are currently 7 terminals actively organizing with 2 more to contact their locals soon. I won't beat around the bush, but there are 2 specific terminals we want that have shown interest. You know who you are. You have my number. Call me. Don't know if i'll post next week. We are throttling back a bit. Teamsters are in Vegas. We will still try to collect more signatures.

I call BS as well on the bankruptcy. Why did they want to shareholders to vote to give their CEO's 350-450% pay bonuses (hundreds of thousands to just over a million dollars each)?

Alright boys and girls! Time for your weekly update from the great state of Ohio on our efforts to gain representation. Low and behold we have finally gained the attention of the upper echelon of management at XGO. Our little rebellion has apparently gained a significant following. Mr Bruce Moss was here today to give us our 1st anti union rally. HooRay! He read from a 4 page statement about Conways stance on Unions. Do I need to tell you what that stance is? Well, lets say they are not happy about what they have heard. He reminded us about Conway eastern and several other instances of terminals being closed because of union activity. They showed us what a union card looks like. Too bad most of us already know what they look like. He did talk about something none of us had heard of. Apparently, the cutbacks in '09 were not not made to bank money because banks weren't lending (as we were told). He said the cuts were made to keep us from filing for bankruptcy. Bankruptcy? I thought the video I got back then said that the company saw "the storm on the horizon" and was being proactive to secure cash on hand so we could act as our own bank. I will need to look at the financials back then, But I call BS. Yet another scare tactic. During one meeting, drivers were giving reasons why people felt they need representation, when one driver said we hadn't seen an increase in pay in 4 years and wanted to know when their last increase was. Guess what he was told? It was none of our business. Not a good way to win friends. There are currently 7 terminals actively organizing with 2 more to contact their locals soon. I won't beat around the bush, but there are 2 specific terminals we want that have shown interest. You know who you are. You have my number. Call me. Don't know if i'll post next week. We are throttling back a bit. Teamsters are in Vegas. We will still try to collect more signatures.

Their whole speech sounds like threats and intimidation,............I would file accordingly with the NLRB,.........

I called our local. He never made any specific reference to us. Our local said its the typical stuff we are going to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you cut back just because of the Teamsters in Vegas ?

Yea, themselves. They think they are GODS. Also heard they they put the blame on all of the union companys closing and or taking cuts on the union. We all know it was the management sucking the companys dry. Alot of waste. Just like Con-Ways management does now.

you are screwed up

I knew that's what your response would be, and I don't doubt you at all. There are probably lots of them. But, when it comes down to it and they could take a chance of losing their jobs when it's crunch time, let's see how many are standing with you.. Im just saying. If i'm wrong, well i'm wrong.
you know you put in 70 hr's a week to make that 90k and cheat on your log and you have no pension, no raise in 4yrs and your medical sucks and just so you know the only company that makes less than you bro is Dayton freight anymore at 55cents a mile and 22.40 an hr.....

Yea, themselves. They think they are GODS. Also heard they they put the blame on all of the union companys closing and or taking cuts on the union. We all know it was the management sucking the companys dry. Alot of waste. Just like Con-Ways management does now.

You heard right. He also said the Union did nothing for its members, but lose jobs and benefits. Just look at Yellow he said. When he was asked about other Union carriers who seemed to be successful, UPS for example, he didn't have an answer. He did use a slick tactic reminding guys that cards are legally binding and that the teamsters could get in on just the signatures alone and circumvent the secret vote. He told everyone not to sign a card because of this trick. He was absolutely correct in his statement, except he conveniently left out a few other facts. The only way they could circumvent the secret ballot vote is if the company were to recognize the legitimacy of the union representation and I don't think Conway is about to do that. Even then an employee can go to the NLRB and request a no confidence vote to overturn it. I hate it when they treat us like dumb truck drivers. Like we don't research anything. The best part of the speech was when he said that the company hoped we wouldn't go to 3rd parties for our information and that we should come to them because they have been open and honest with us in the past. Almost started laughing, but I thought it might hurt his feelings.

You heard right. He also said the Union did nothing for its members, but lose jobs and benefits. Just look at Yellow he said. When he was asked about other Union carriers who seemed to be successful, UPS for example, he didn't have an answer. He did use a slick tactic reminding guys that cards are legally binding and that the teamsters could get in on just the signatures alone and circumvent the secret vote. He told everyone not to sign a card because of this trick. He was absolutely correct in his statement, except he conveniently left out a few other facts. The only way they could circumvent the secret ballot vote is if the company were to recognize the legitimacy of the union representation and I don't think Conway is about to do that. Even then an employee can go to the NLRB and request a no confidence vote to overturn it. I hate it when they treat us like dumb truck drivers. Like we don't research anything. The best part of the speech was when he said that the company hoped we wouldn't go to 3rd parties for our information and that we should come to them because they have been open and honest with us in the past. Almost started laughing, but I thought it might hurt his feelings.

I'm not going to touch that.

I'm not going to touch that.

Management isn't exactly rocket science either. It's more of an adherance to "the ends justify the means" mentality.

EDIT: Upper management mostly, I work with plenty of FOS's and an FOM that really work with the drivers, just to clarify.

If you want to resort to running each other down thats fine with me. You and I have been civil to each thus far in our posts, but we can change that if you want.

No problem, I'm sorry, but you know if I had said something like that you or someone else would be all over it. I guess there isn't much of a place for levity during these tough times, although I did like Wondering99's joke.

He did use a slick tactic reminding guys that cards are legally binding and that the teamsters could get in on just the signatures alone and circumvent the secret vote. He told everyone not to sign a card because of this trick. He was absolutely correct in his statement, except he conveniently left out a few other facts. The only way they could circumvent the secret ballot vote is if the company were to recognize the legitimacy of the union representation and I don't think Conway is about to do that. Even then an employee can go to the NLRB and request a no confidence vote to overturn it.
Can you explain this a bit more in depth to me please, I think this is the part that makes me mildly paranoid about signing a card but am rather naive about the entire process-thanks...