XPO | Update on XCO

They are going by the script to the "T," First off tell the history of the union carriers closing, they gave us a list of the top 20 carriers before deregulation to share with everyone, Second, why go to a third party when there is an open door policy? and lastly the whole Eastern thing and it's closure. As I said in an earlier post, I am no longer and FOS at Con-Way, but I have many friends on both sides of the issue. I was with another carrier in the late 90's and talked to alot of CCX drivers on the Indiana TP when I was coming back home to spend time with family and made it my goal to work with a company with a workforce so engaged in the best interests of the company. After 15 years of working in the industry, I finally got on with Con-way. For those that may say I was an FOS with no idea what you guys go through I want to say that I got my start at UPS loading feeders while in college and then with R & L loading city vans and it was not pallet freight...alot of Radio Shack and JCP and finally got a chance to improve my status by going into management. I want to say that I respect the work you guys do and I always felt that you were under appreciated...with out your efforts there would be no FOS, SCM, RM or CEO's. Where I worked there was no need for a Union as I treated the guys that worked for me with respect and dignity, and made sure the Flex guys got at least 40 hours. I've been away from the Company for 2 years, and I see the enhancements from 2008 are continuing. You guys deserve the best and dang it, Con-Way should give it to you...in my almost 20 years in the industry I've never worked with a more professional bunch than you guys! I worked FAC, IB, OB and you guys always rocked :) You deserve to be paid and compensated like the "best of the best" because you ARE

They are going by the script to the "T," First off tell the history of the union carriers closing, they gave us a list of the top 20 carriers before deregulation to share with everyone, Second, why go to a third party when there is an open door policy? and lastly the whole Eastern thing and it's closure. As I said in an earlier post, I am no longer and FOS at Con-Way, but I have many friends on both sides of the issue. I was with another carrier in the late 90's and talked to alot of CCX drivers on the Indiana TP when I was coming back home to spend time with family and made it my goal to work with a company with a workforce so engaged in the best interests of the company. After 15 years of working in the industry, I finally got on with Con-way. For those that may say I was an FOS with no idea what you guys go through I want to say that I got my start at UPS loading feeders while in college and then with R & L loading city vans and it was not pallet freight...alot of Radio Shack and JCP and finally got a chance to improve my status by going into management. I want to say that I respect the work you guys do and I always felt that you were under appreciated...with out your efforts there would be no FOS, SCM, RM or CEO's. Where I worked there was no need for a Union as I treated the guys that worked for me with respect and dignity, and made sure the Flex guys got at least 40 hours. I've been away from the Company for 2 years, and I see the enhancements from 2008 are continuing. You guys deserve the best and dang it, Con-Way should give it to you...in my almost 20 years in the industry I've never worked with a more professional bunch than you guys! I worked FAC, IB, OB and you guys always rocked :) You deserve to be paid and compensated like the "best of the best" because you ARE

Are you still with the co. and if so why are you not in mgmt. anymore

Can you explain this a bit more in depth to me please, I think this is the part that makes me mildly paranoid about signing a card but am rather naive about the entire process-thanks...

If or when you sign a card it is a legally binding document. You are giving the teamsters the right to represent you. Once they obtain 50% + 1 signed cards, they petition the NLRB for a vote. Your local terminal is then contacted to provide a master list to the NLRB to verify the legitimacy of the signatures. Once the NLRB verifies the signatures, a vote is scheduled for 40 days later. If 50% +1 vote "yes" then the NLRB recognizes the teamsters as our negotiating agent. There IS a way to bypass the vote. If Conway were to recognize the teamsters as our agent, they could tell them "OK, we recognize you" and no vote is needed. If that were to happen an employee can petition the NLRB to still have a secret ballot vote to decertify the union. You can also revoke your signature as long as you inform the employer and the union in writing. Don't feel bad. Allot of us have no experience with this either. Its been allot of educating our selves on how it works.

I wasn't sure if I would have anything to post this week, but turns out I do. We MAY have enough signatures for our vote. That would be 75% of the terminal. If we don't then we are really close. I need to verify with our local vice president. He won't be back in town from the annual convention until Sunday. We are expecting things will really ramp up next week. I understand that there are terminals out there that have tried to get in touch with our local. Please be patient they are not getting in touch with anybody right now. Most of our drivers know how to get in touch with me. I have given them permission to give my number out to the drivers they know. There is a no one that knows more about whats going with our organizing effort than me and a few selected individuals that have been in this since the beginning. Its nice to talk to an actual person from another terminal and hear it "straight from the horses mouth" instead of the " I heard " and rumor mill. Its not that hard to get started. Just takes someone to step up and take the lead. I trust the guys here to give my number out.

Not everyone may be for this, but I gotta tell ya that its nice to see everyone from the senior guys to the most junior guy talking and working together on this. Heck, even those of us that don't get along normally have at least become civil enough to talk to each other about whats happening.

conway made a big mistake by hiring a bunch of ex teamsters , a grave error on managements part ,this company is built on being better, faster and more efficient than the competition and when you clowns bring the union in , i hope fedex will hire us drivers who appreciate what we have i seriously hope you all like paying your dues when somebody is breaking your set becuz your on ot ,bcuz they will cut our throats and you lazy sacks of ::shit:: willl be happy when they divert your freight around columbus because its only a building nothing else

conway made a big mistake by hiring a bunch of ex teamsters , a grave error on managements part ,this company is built on being better, faster and more efficient than the competition and when you clowns bring the union in , i hope fedex will hire us drivers who appreciate what we have i seriously hope you all like paying your dues when somebody is breaking your set becuz your on ot ,bcuz they will cut our throats and you lazy sacks of ::shit:: willl be happy when they divert your freight around columbus because its only a building nothing else

I understand your frustration with all of this, but lets try and use a little more tact and a little less trash talking. Sometimes I take an afternoon nap to help me deal with all of this stress...

You are killing me nothing says you can't keep operations the same we can negotiate are own contract and by the way who do you work for there is no overtime on a road card so if they want to send me home after 14 he's that's fine I will tell them thanks. The lazy thing is hilarious. I've worked next to alot of lazy people here and we've never had a union you just want to sterotype the union good for you,way to be an independent. Thinker.

You are killing me nothing says you can't keep operations the same we can negotiate are own contract and by the way who do you work for there is no overtime on a road card so if they want to send me home after 14 he's that's fine I will tell them thanks. The lazy thing is hilarious. I've worked next to alot of lazy people here and we've never had a union you just want to sterotype the union good for you,way to be an independent. Thinker.

Your right, there are a LOT of lazy people at this company.... so why change it. I need my 60 hours on the clock every week. hahahahaha (I get that because of lazy people, BTW)

I'm going out on a limb, but I guess this means no Christmas card from you? Good luck at Fedex!

Your right, there are a LOT of lazy people at this company.... so why change it. I need my 60 hours on the clock every week. hahahahaha (I get that because of lazy people, BTW)

are you the one on a three legged stool next to the clock???

it is very frustrating watching others bite the hand that feeds me and my family ,and yes i do work for conway and i do understand that things have changed for the worse but to jump in bed with teamsters after watching what has happened to yrc is insane ......seriously these slick talking union thugs are telling you guys exactly what you want to hear and then to see that the clown is out of town at some union convention says it all hes not here now when you need him and he wont be there after you sign your card (except to collect your dues) good luck xco.......and i do work in ohio and heard about this yesterday and about fell over butt good luck anyhow

I am sorry to start yet another post on XCO, but I didn't want this to get lost in another thread. There is allot of interest in this. We have been collecting signatures for a week now. Doing well. We have allot of support at this stage. There are guys against it. Most because they are worried about Conways response. Management has been very hands off to this point. Allot of higher ups have been visiting allot more than usual wanting to talk about our concerns. We know they know, but they have not done anything to this point. It was finally confirmed to them last Thursday by a driver was started this and that it is not a rumor, but still been hands off. I received word yesterday that 5 additional terminals have made contact with our local and confirmed they are working with the teamsters. I will post updates here from time to time.
dude id be pretty curious to know why something hasnt been said as im sure you are i mean somebody of your supreme intelligence and leadership qualities should know that when they are quiet then they are scheming something ,i do work for conway at an ohio terminal and have visited xco at the night reship and i do agree that the bosses in xco treat peope like dogshit and i have never understood why butt i hope that you all get what your after i just hope that xto xcn xay etc etc can handle the influx of reship freight when they divert around you guys because you guys work for the same company i do and you know how dirty they can be ,honestly this is not meant as a knock on you guys butt youve all been there long enough to know who we work for

I'm going out on a limb, but I guess this means no Christmas card from you? Good luck at Fedex!

no probably not butt i bet your homies at the local will give you one ,i mean bringing conway on board is a huge feather in his cap he can give you a christmas card right along with yrcs 15 percent pay decrease

My main concern is that "nobodyinparticular" only comes back with smart ass comments now when peoples liveliehoods and the food in our childrens mouths is at stake here and he comes back with a smartass comment i believe he is undereducated and does not take this seriously , so follow him if you will butt this a not a game

hey turbo but is spelled with one t, unless you're talking about your rear end. as far as the yrc thing those guys are making 15% less because they voted to to help save the company they work for. they had to do this not because of the union but because of the company leaders over spending themselves. after they bought roadway for 1.6 billion and USF for 1.3 billion they told us they were making 800 million+ per year for 5 years. that would have more than paid off the bills. but they had to buy properties, a company in China, blah blah blah, instead of paying the bills. when the bottom fell out of everything they went broke. not a union thing but a management thing.

I used to get o.t. on my l/h run many years ago. Its was very easy to do at xau then, they called it the rock for good reason.

This is your quote isn't it? You are disturbed that I made a smartass comment, but in your very 1st post on theses boards you insult 150 + DSRs here at XCO. I don't know why, but I am taking this one personally. Feel however you want about the union. Debate me till the cows come home. Plenty have here. What disturbs me is just because your anti union you think its ok to insult us. I have been very cordial to everyone on here pro and anti union, but you really struck a nerve. I have been busting my ass for this company for 8 years. 3 1/2 on a rotating flex board at a small terminal. I'll tell you what, if it disturbs you that much. Come talk to me. Next time you run XCO on the FAC come to the breakroom at around 4:45, I start at 5:00. I usually sit at the table in the middle of the room. I dare you to call me a lazy SOS to my face.