SAIA | Update please

nervouswreck

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey former Connection guys, what are you fellas seeing up there? What are you hearing? Are they telling you anything? Filling you in about Saia? Been quite down here. Just wondering how the transition is working for you, well, I hope. Most of us down here are looking forward to March 1st. Should be lots of opportunities on both ends. Anyhow, good luck and welcome to Saia.

Who dat?

Would those firings be salaried or hourly? You gotta figure the house cleaning would start early. Like we told you guys learn to dot the i's and cross the t's early and accurately.

:chairshot: As figured, the house cleaning has started.more equipment coming into the region.Training for the "Saia Way"has begun fun times for most.

Communications devices

Have you guys started using the Nextel radios yet? That will be lotsa fun for the city drivers especially if they do some of the wireless dispatching software. Mmmm, ummm, ummm. :chairshot:

Probably won't change the radios out unless they break. What happened in DLS p&d was the terminal had a server that the dispatch software was loaded on and the radios were programmed to receive the deliveries on the delivery manifest. As the deliveries were made the drivers were supposed to clear each freight bill after the delivery was made.

On the pickup side of things the dispatcher sends the pickup calls to the individual drivers radio. As the pickup calls were completed the driver was supposed to enter certain info into the radio.

The theory is that when the drivers were brought back to the yard the freight would be on a pickup manifest and dock movement bills would already be printed and ready to use once the trailer arrived on the yard.

This all ties into the AS400 mainframes and the customer is supposed to be able to track shipments over the company website.

However, the system is not implemented company wide. It is being done terminal by terminal and as such could easily take several years to complete, especially if there is another expansion.

It is not a difficult system to use once you get all the parts moving in the same direction. And yes, you will forget a lot starting out. That should remedy itself over time.

: The latest;Training for city,road ,dock& office has started.Most things are a whole new ballgame to some of us.We'll get used to it though.:chairshot:

Just try and remember that in the end the job is the same. Get the freight from point A to point B. Just the paperwork is different. Also remember that after enough repetition everyone will catch on.

The hardest job I ever had was when I started out driving. Trying to learn how to drive a truck, handle the paperwork, and all the other assorted stuff that is the background noise in the job really made life interesting. Now it is adjusting to what my position requires. :hide: