TForce | UPGF hiring YRC Drivers is this right!!!!

GetPaid

TB Lurker
Credits
Let me begin by saying my heart goes out to the drivers at YRC and their families, and I pray that everything works out for them.

But, I do have an issue with UPGF hiring practices, which the Teamsters are allowing them to do. I was in SOH Friday night speaking with a driver from TOL, he was telling me that they had just hired 15 guys at their terminal to run the new triple runs they are putting on out of TOL. Some of them are transfers from SOH, but the majority of them are from YRC.

How can UPGF hire drivers from YRC to run triples out of TOL when we have our own road and city drivers not working and would have had loved the opportunity to get one of those money making runs. Why does it seems to me that the Teamsters are looking out for the best interest of the YRC drivers and not the UPGF drivers when it comes down to this issue of hiring drivers off of the streets to fill new bargaining positions within our company, while we still have drivers not working!!

Go and read some of YRC threads, the union halls are telling them we are hiring, while some of our guys are starving to death. We are paying members like the YRC drivers, the Teamsters should be looking out for our best interest on this issue!!

I’m not trying to kick the YRC drivers while they are down but fair is fair, I’m quite shore if this situation was vice verse YRC employees would be upset about this issue, just as I am!!

Also, these positions were not posted throughout the system for bidding!!

Something is going on with the Teamsters and UPGF!!!:ranting2:

Calm Down.
These TRC Drivers are doing the same thing you did when you got hired....they wanted to better themselves so they came aboard.....cant blame them for this..
As far as company postings,you can go to upsfreight/jobs or something like this and see where they are taking applications for current positions or future positions..
Under Overnite there was a 125 or 150 mile posting rule but im not sure if that still stands...
I feel they should have a website with all future positions posted with a job discription and be available to all employees to inquire if interested,especially employees on part time or layoff status.
Welcome aboard YRC Guys
Karen K

Calm Down.
These TRC Drivers are doing the same thing you did when you got hired....they wanted to better themselves so they came aboard.....cant blame them for this..
As far as company postings,you can go to upsfreight/jobs or something like this and see where they are taking applications for current positions or future positions..
Under Overnite there was a 125 or 150 mile posting rule but im not sure if that still stands...
I feel they should have a website with all future positions posted with a job discription and be available to all employees to inquire if interested,especially employees on part time or layoff status.
Welcome aboard YRC Guys
Karen K
Karen K,
You most be misssing the point here, so let me help you out.
1.When I got hired on with Overnite, they did not bring me on while they had drivers laid off.
2.UPGF will not allow transfers at this time. I tried to move to a new "zone center" was told I could not transfer, but 3 - 4 weeks later they hired a YRC driver for that position.
3. If you will like to go by the old runs thats fine, here is the old rule; if a new position or terminal was opening up in our system, UPGF (Overnite) would post it for two weeks at the terminal with new position; then if not filled, post it through out our system for two weeks; then if not filled, hire a driver from off the street.

Also, I understand that they are trying to better themselves, but should this be done at the cost of our fellow UPGF drivers??:smilie_132:

I wish I knew the answer to this.
My guess is the Teamsters are figuring they found the former YRC guys UPSF jobs regardless of our laid off driver situation.

Hopefully someone with an overall knowledge of the transfer policy, hiring, lay off call back procedures can chime in. It does seem odd that they did not offer the jobs in house first.

We hired 5 Heavy hitting YRC drivers at my barn. They are very happy to have jobs and have said a huge burden has been lifted from their shoulders.

They also said they were looking long term rather than who's starting pay was higher.

I would also like to welcome them here and let them know
if they are truckingboards members and need a username change to go here:Truckingboads Help Section

The sheet was still up last night at South Holland, looking for drivers to follow work to Toledo. There were no signatures on it. When the zone terminals opened up in Wisconsin none of us were allowed to transfer up there.

I say welcome to the Yellow Drivers, and any other out of work teamster who can sign on where we have openings. And any of our guys who are at a terminal where there are lay offs, if they can find work at a good company, more power to them.

The issue is transfers from terminal to terminal. UPS isn't letting people transfer. That's something to look at under the contract but I would be careful what you wish for. I wouldn't want to be forced to move to Toledo. My family also decides where I live.

And if I follow work, I keep my seniority. I don't have to take the run I followed on the next bid, I can bump any of the drivers at that terminal.

Calm Down.
Welcome aboard YRC Guys
Karen K

who the hell are you to tell somebody to calm down, you calm down.

who the hell are you to tell somebody to calm down, you calm down.

I highly doubt KarenK intended that to be mean spirited.
The OP used a rant smilie ----> :ranting2:

Let's not get all sensitive in here and go off topic.

UPSF hired ex-YRC drivers, Let's discuss this in a mature way.

I for one think it is absolutely wrong to hire anyone outside of the company if they have drivers on layoff. Period. End of story.

I would like to see a laid off driver, who is willing to move to Toledo, who is able to get triples qualified, file a grievance to transfer. This would force a ruling.

Another question is, who are we, are we Teamster first or UPS-Freight first?

Well being a new hire, and a laid off yrc employee.......... I was looking at your contract, but I didn't see any language in there to prevent this. The NMFA has language protecting the laid off people. I don't agree with hiring if people are laid off, those people should go back to work first no questions. But with that being said, remember this I was making 22.72 before I got laid off now I'm back to $14.63 for 45 working days, then 15.68, and no paid sick days, no paid holidays for the first year, that's right under your contract, I won't get holiday pay until 7/4/10. While I'm rambleing let's not forget the lying TM who said I'd start between 10 & 12 everyday start peddaling in the city, 5-6 hrs, come back and work the dock, and run a set to harrisburg. I've operated 3 pieces of USP equipment so far, a forkift, a broom, and a shovel. I'm thankful to have a job, but had I know all this I think I'd have passed.

Well being a new hire, and a laid off yrc employee.......... I was looking at your contract, but I didn't see any language in there to prevent this. The NMFA has language protecting the laid off people. I don't agree with hiring if people are laid off, those people should go back to work first no questions. But with that being said, remember this I was making 22.72 before I got laid off now I'm back to $14.63 for 45 working days, then 15.68, and no paid sick days, no paid holidays for the first year, that's right under your contract, I won't get holiday pay until 7/4/10. While I'm rambleing let's not forget the lying TM who said I'd start between 10 & 12 everyday start peddaling in the city, 5-6 hrs, come back and work the dock, and run a set to harrisburg. I've operated 3 pieces of USP equipment so far, a forkift, a broom, and a shovel. I'm thankful to have a job, but had I know all this I think I'd have passed.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Hubby laid off from USF/YRC and now at UPSF. I know all about the paycut and holidays. Its a huge bummer. That being said if hubby wanted to transfer to PA he should be able to especially since he will be laid off yet again next week. he has 15+ years drining, triples qualified, and all the rest. There is no reason why he should be laid off and outside drivers hired.

Sorry about your situation but there needs to be something done about this. Its simply not right.

I would like to see a laid off driver, who is willing to move to Toledo, who is able to get triples qualified, file a grievance to transfer. This would force a ruling.

Another question is, who are we, are we Teamster first or UPS-Freight first?

We will be looking into it. But with this contract as bad as it is I doubt anything will be done.

Karen K,
You most be misssing the point here, so let me help you out.
1.When I got hired on with Overnite, they did not bring me on while they had drivers laid off.
2.UPGF will not allow transfers at this time. I tried to move to a new "zone center" was told I could not transfer, but 3 - 4 weeks later they hired a YRC driver for that position.
3. If you will like to go by the old runs thats fine, here is the old rule; if a new position or terminal was opening up in our system, UPGF (Overnite) would post it for two weeks at the terminal with new position; then if not filled, post it through out our system for two weeks; then if not filled, hire a driver from off the street.

Also, I understand that they are trying to better themselves, but should this be done at the cost of our fellow UPGF drivers??:smilie_132:

I was told by my TM that the Local Unions don't want people to transfer between Locals because each local does not want to loose membership. I told him that has to be BS
::shit:: We are hiring people at my barn. They just hired 4 partimers 2 full-time drivers, starting 2 more this Monday and 2 more next Monday. All while there are guys on layoff at other barns. Go figure!

The contract at UPSF is beyond bad it is down right awful. We are stuck with it for 4 more years.

It has worked great at my barn. Seniority protected, guaranteed wage increases, no longer have to worry about revolving door management. Got 4 fried guys there jobs back in the past year.

It has worked great at my barn. Seniority protected, guaranteed wage increases, no longer have to worry about revolving door management. Got 4 fried guys there jobs back in the past year.

You are right that is the flip side of the coin. We have to take the good with the bad. Currently in this economy we have a pile of applications. Last year when people applied and found out the starting pay was $15.05 they turned the job down. Now we have a surplus of applications.

Hopefully in the next contract we can get some better language. I would like to see better starting wages. Holiday pay for new hires. Week of sick leave and a week of personal holidays that we could bid as weeks of vacation or take them a day at a time. Allow transfers.

I worked at UPS FREIGHT terminal 292 Pennsauken for two weeks and said see you later . I handled all the above mentioned equipment, even got to peddle on the street, until The dispatcher said if you want to stay here you have to shave your gotee off and comply with our appearance policy ,even side burns. Apon thinking about it for 5 minutes with conversation even with TM . I said for $ 14.63 which is DOCK/CDL start rate , this place is not worth the aggravation . I said seeya and got a gig at Jack ang JIll doing trailer work at night even pays more and no on call B/S. In conclusion this contract blows and MASTER FREIGHT IT IS NOT!!!!! The union sold these guys the sizzle and not the steak.

I worked at UPS FREIGHT terminal 292 Pennsauken for two weeks and said see you later . I handled all the above mentioned equipment, even got to peddle on the street, until The dispatcher said if you want to stay here you have to shave your gotee off and comply with our appearance policy ,even side burns. Apon thinking about it for 5 minutes with conversation even with TM . I said for $ 14.63 which is DOCK/CDL start rate , this place is not worth the aggravation . I said seeya and got a gig at Jack ang JIll doing trailer work at night even pays more and no on call B/S. In conclusion this contract blows and MASTER FREIGHT IT IS NOT!!!!! The union sold these guys the sizzle and not the steak.
That Sir is your opinion .Truth is we will be the highest paid freight drivers on the road .>>>>>>>>>>Now that being said there is a price to pay starting out .The contract we got while yes it is not NMF will suffice just fine for a first contract. Tell me in three years what you are making at Jack & jill.:biglaugh:

For you it blows, especially since you are not here anymore. For me, It made it 100% better. But Im a road driver. The city drivers at my term got the shaft, if they dont have much seniority. The dock workers can bump veteran drivers as long as they have the seniority. I know of an 18year company vet that transfered to our term before the ratification, and now he can be bumped by a dock driver that just got his cdl. Ive sen the way some of our cdl dock guys drive in the yard, I think I would rather have the 18 year vet out there representing the company than the dock cdl's Ive seen. They need to work out the nintendo, fast and furious, bad arse, discourteous, mind frame before letting some of these guys out of the gate. (just an opinion based on what ive seen) Theres alot more dock workers here than city drivers so there was no question that the ratification was eminent.
BTW, did you ever believe you would get another contract like you had with the NMFA, seeing what is going on now with YRC and the economy? Honestly.

tryin to transfer

i been tryin to transfer since i started to Houston and with the second terminal i still can't transfer. thet hired some YRC guys as part-time. When I started last year they let guys transfer into Houston before i got hired on and they had no more fulltime opened.i had to go to Beaumont to get on fulltime. now they not lettin no one transfer.:ranting2: